Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First Up wrote: »
    I'm saying that existing motorists will change their route because they reasons they need their cars and trucks will still be there.

I would expect more cyclists to use the route but they won't replace motorists.
    If that's the case then why would Strand Rd be different from every other safe cycling infrastructure ever that can be shown to increase the numbers commuting by bike and also sees what is termed as "traffic evaporation"
    You're simply trolling! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm saying that existing motorists will change their route because they reasons they need their cars and trucks will still be there.

I would expect more cyclists to use the route but they won't replace motorists.

Did you miss the evidence posted above about the high percentages of single occupant journeys and short journeys driven by car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If that's the case then why would Strand Rd be different from every other safe cycling infrastructure ever that can be shown to increase the numbers commuting by bike and also sees what is termed as "traffic evaporation" You're simply trolling!

It may well encourage some commuters to switch to their bikes and that would be a good thing, although I'm not aware of any studies on the subject.

But it doesn't need to be at the cost of pushing cars and trucks into Sandymount village or Irishtown.

Did you miss the evidence posted above about the high percentages of single occupant journeys and short journeys driven by car?

No, did you miss the stuff about commercial traffic and people with legitimate reasons to use their cars?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It may well encourage some commuters to switch to their bikes and that would be a good thing, although I'm not aware of any studies on the subject.

So make yourself aware. You're arguing about things that you have fundamentally misunderstood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've left town same time as my partner a few times. Me on the bike, she in the car. I'm nearly always home at the very same time, often before
    i've mentioned several times here that one summer morning a few years ago, i started swapping places with a chap in an audi on east wall road, and pretty much along the length of the cycle (which took in strand road) i was swapping places with him, all the way to the entrance of leopardstown racecourse.

and the fact that it was summer meant the traffic conditions favoured him, not me; if it had been winter he wouldn't have seen me a second time.

No, did you miss the stuff about commercial traffic and people with legitimate reasons to use their cars?

The "legitimate reasons" stuff is largely your own personal invention - no data, no evidence.

Yes indeed, some people need cars. There is no proposal to ban cars. Just a small restriction on one short stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Weepsie wrote: »
    Everyone is very aware that there are journeys that need to be made in some form of vehicle, due to needs or payload, but most journeys are in fact single occupancy ones that are more than manageable by bike

If only there was a very reasonably priced car share scheme in Dublin for such journeys. Maybe like GoCar or the Toyota equivalent.

Every car and truck that used the Strand Rd to get to the Toll Bridge, Dublin Port or Port Tunnel will still have to make that journey. But they will now have to get there via the side roads of Sandymount. That will put them on roads less suitable and will cause congestion and a greater risk of accidents.

Yes, cyclists on Strand Rd will have their own path but the consequences are disproportionate. And all for the sake of a couple of hundred meters over the beach.

Did the m50 and Port Tunnel disappear overnight or something?

Peregrine wrote:
    So make yourself aware. You're arguing about things that you have fundamentally misunderstood.

Feel free to put me straight.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed, some people need cars. There is no proposal to ban cars. Just a small restriction on one short stretch of road.

Yes, a restriction that will divert traffic into places ill-equipped to deal with it.

Did the m50 and Port Tunnel disappear overnight or something?

Why should people be using them to get from Blackrock to the IFSC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If I was driving that route as I have many times, I'd go to Macken St and over Sam Beckett bridge.

If I was driving that route as I have many times, I'd go to Macken St and over Sam Beckett bridge.

Me too. Where do the M50 and Port Tunnel come into it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ First Up - are you seriously saying that all of the car based commuters travelling into the IFSC via Blackrock have no other option but to use their car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Do you expect people to cycle along Strand Rd to their appointments in St Vincent's or the Blackrock Clinic?

I think it would be a personal choice by a person as to whether they want to cycle to their hospital appointments. Some may choose to if going to the hospital for a routine check up, etc.

I will say that I was kind of shocked when my friend in Amsterdam told me that she was specifically told not to cycle in to the hospital for a scheduled d&c procedure after having a miscarriage. When I asked her was she going to cycle, she said she had been considering it but was not going to after doctor's advice.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why should people be driving snd not taking the DART which goes between both ?
    Why encourage lazy unsustainable travel ?

Good for you, although I wouldn't expect many 60+ year olds to use one.

I knew a woman who used to cycle 8km into Dundalk, and back daily in her early 90’s. 16km round trip on a high nelly.

Also, the Gardaí Twitter account had a picture of an 81 year old getting a new bike recently. I think his old one was stolen.

So your age excuse is just more crap.

[quote=tetaking should people be98oo87ich 888iving snd not taking the DART òwhich goes between both ? Why encourage lazy unsustainable travel ?[/quote]

Wouldn't dream of it. Someone asked me I'd heard of the M50 and Port Tunnel as alternatives to Strand Rd and I'm asking them to elaborate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a 20-25 minute cycle no matter the traffic. It's a 20-25 minute drive so long as traffic is light. Traffic is normal and it's a 30-40 minute drive potentially.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't dream of it. Someone asked me I'd heard of the M50 and Port Tunnel as alternatives to Strand Rd and I'm asking them to elaborate.

I must have missed the question asking me to elaborate.

You did not mention the IFSC until after I replied. So more moving of goalposts. However for access to the port, which you did mention earlier then the m50 and port tunnel have been the preferable routes for years rather than a residential area, and believe it or not they will still be accessible once changes are made to strand road.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Where did DCC say it was for leisure cyclists though? Or anyone?

Quote directly from DCC ‘Strand Road Trial - Information’ -
    “This new cycle lane will increase safety for growing numbers of people cycling to school, work and for leisure”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Trudee wrote: »
    “This new cycle lane will increase safety for growing numbers of people cycling to school, work and for leisure”

Yeah, sorry, my question was really "who said it was *mainly* for leisure cyclists". So DCC didn't say it was mainly for leisure cyclists.

The context was:
    Most cycling along Strand Rd is (and will be) a leisure activity. That's what the cycle path is intended to encourage and facilitate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Trudee wrote: »

So it's for everyone who cycles regardless of purpose?

The poster implied that it was intended only for Leisure, but that is the 3rd aim of the lane.

If only there was some other kind of convenient transport service that allowed people to do that journey?

Yes, a restriction that will divert traffic into places ill-equipped to deal with it.

Most of that traffic is people on leisure journeys - heading out for a walk or for food or to see family. Why should we build transport infrastructure around such leisure journeys?

Weepsie wrote:
    The poster implied that it was intended only for Leisure, but that is the 3rd aim of the lane.

I said it will attract more leisure cyclists than commuters but let's wait and see.

A cycle path on Strand Rd is a good idea. Using it as an excuse to force motor traffic into Sandymount village is a bad one

Most of that traffic is people on leisure journeys - heading out for a walk or for food or to see family. Why should we build transport infrastructure around such leisure journeys?

Traffic uses Strand Rd tooo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

I said it will attract more leisure cyclists than commuters but let's wait and see.

A cycle path on Strand Rd is a good idea. Using it as an excuse to force motor traffic into Sandymount village is a bad one

Is this what you think Keegan's Machiavellian agenda is? He has a vendetta against Sandymount village and wants to over-run it with completely necessary car traffic and banned 5-axle trucks?

• Advertisement

Strand Rd is used to get to the Toll Bridge, Port Tunnel, M50 and Dublin Port. None are leisure destinations.

Advertisement