Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

First Up wrote: »
    Strand Rd is used to get to the Toll Bridge, Port Tunnel, M50 and Dublin Port. None are leisure destinations.

What do people travel to the toll bridge for? The only activity there is to admire the river.

All of those roads and the port are interlinked. Strand road is not a requirement to access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What do people travel to the toll bridge for? The only activity there is to admire the river.

To get to the Port Tunnel, M50 and Dublin Port.

To get to the Port Tunnel, M50 and Dublin Port.

So there is only one road that leads to the port tunnel, m50 and the port, and it happens to be Strand Road?

So there is only one road that leads to the port tunnel, m50 and the port, and it happens to be Strand Road?

No, but it is more convenient and better suited than many others - such as Sandymount Green for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strand Rd is used to get to the Toll Bridge, Port Tunnel, M50 and Dublin Port. None are leisure destinations.

None are destinations at all, leisure or otherwise. Most of the drivers on those routes are on leisure journeys, obviously.

• Advertisement

None are destinations at all, leisure or otherwise. Most of the drivers on those routes are on leisure journeys, obviously.

So you consider Dublin Port a leisure destination.

OK, I think we have fully explored your argument.

So you consider Dublin Port a leisure destination.

OK, I think we have fully explored your argument.

As stated above, it's not any kind of destination -leisure or otherwise. Though lots of people use the port to go on holidays. Have you heard of holidays as a leisure activity?

Most of these drivers are on leisure trips.

No, but it is more convenient and better suited than many others - such as Sandymount Green for instance.

The replies are getting even more silly. If you live in Sandymount can’t you use the samual Beckett bridge instead. Save €1.40, and all it’s only a few minutes extra driving? Can’t you also take one of the many other roads available that crosses the Liffey? Can’t you drive to Sean Moore road via other roads than Strand road?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So people should be allowed to drive along Strand rd simply because it suits them?
    What about other road users - should we prioritise the convenience for drivers over safety of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Eh? why on earth would someone from Blackrock or further south be trying to use the Strand Road to access the M50? it's certainly not in anyway to most suited route. The Sandyford Junction M50 is one of the closest points to most of South Dublin, certainly not the via Strand road or Sandymount.

The fact you also used Blackrock to the IFSC as an example journey that people can only make by car via the Strand Road and has no alternatives says a lot about your motives. Reading between the lines, I would guess that's a car journey you make on a regular basis and you're annoyed that you will now have to rethink your unsustainable transport choices.

• Advertisement

Most of these drivers are on leisure trips.

Well apart from the 50% of the country's imports and exports, the oil terminals, power station and few other storage and distribution areas.

Ever been there?

Well apart from the 50% of the country's imports and exports, the oil terminals, power station and few other storage and distribution areas.

Ever been there?

Yes, I've travelled on the ferries for leisure regularly, which obviously makes up the majority of trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Eh? why on earth would someone from Blackrock or further south be trying to use the Strand Road to access the M50? it's certainly not in anyway to most suited route. The Sandyford Junction M50 is one of the closest points to most of South Dublin, certainly not the via Strand road or Sandymount.

The fact you also used Blackrock to the IFSC as an example journey that people can only make by car via the Strand Road and has no alternatives says a lot about your motives. Reading between the lines, I would guess that's a car journey you make on a regular basis and you're annoyed that you will now have to rethink your unsustainable transport choices.

The Sandymount Cycle Trial has been stalled until end of April therefore remains open to both South and North bound traffic accessing East Link Bridge & north Dublin

Ever been there?

Why would they use strand road when they are meant to use the port tunnel?

DoraDelite wrote:
    Eh? why on earth would someone from Blackrock or further south be trying to use the Strand Road to access the M50? it's certainly not in anyway to most suited route.44 The Sandyford Junction M50 is one of the closest points to most of South Dublin, certainly not the via Strand road or Sandymount.

I agree M50 isn't a great example unless going somewhere like Ballymun but the Toll Bridge is the main route to the Port Port Tunnel , airport and M1.

Yes, I've travelled on the ferries for leisure regularly, which obviously makes up the majority of trips.

Private leisure traffic makes up about 5% of Port users.

I suggest you go there again and look a bit more closely next time.

Why do you want commercial vehicles, including articulated lorries on Strand road rather than the roads they are meant to use to access the port area?

Source please? And what's that got to do with Strand Road, given that the trucks use the tunnel?

Most car journeys on Strand Road are obviously leisure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do you expect people to cycle along Strand Rd to their appointments in St Vincent's or the Blackrock Clinic?
    This is silly hyperbole, the majority of people going to either of those hospitals would not use the strand road, and you know this, you cannot be oblivious ot how little of those two hospitals traffic comes along that road in reality. Even now, most people would have went up to the Rock Road if coming from anywhere near that direction.
    Strand Rd could be safely open to bikes, cars, trucks and buses in both directions by building a cycle and pedestrian path over the few hundred meters not already available in the park.
    Heavy motorised traffci should be reduced on this road, the cycle path is a secondary benefit IMO. Like it or not, the Strand road should be reduced in its capacity to force traffic to adapt and use more appropriate routes
    It may well encourage some commuters to switch to their bikes and that would be a good thing, although I'm not aware of any studies on the subject.
    There are loads, well worth a google. Traffic is quite adaptable, much more so than people think, and it why planners are finally realising that adding lanes isn't always the right thing to reduce traffic build up. Well worth a google, it's been posted in this forum a fair few times.

But it doesn't need to be at the cost of pushing cars and trucks into Sandymount village or Irishtown.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, a restriction that will divert traffic into places ill-equipped to deal with it.
    Thats not how it works
    If I was driving that route as I have many times, I'd go to Macken St and over Sam Beckett bridge.
    As would most normal people, on this oddly specific example.

Source please? And what's that got to do with Strand Road, given that the trucks use the tunnel?

DCC COVID Mobility Rapid Deployment document:
    ● This scheme will substantially reduce traffic volumes on the Strand Road for the duration of the trial. Only 10% of traffic on Strand Road is locally generated and so a substantial amount of through traffic will be removed as well as HGV and LGV traffic.

It would appear therefore that DCC acknowledge Strand Road as a HGV route. Doubtful that the remaining 90% traffic is all leisure

• Advertisement

Trudee wrote: »

DCC COVID Mobility Rapid Deployment document:
    ● This scheme will substantially reduce traffic volumes on the Strand Road for the duration of the trial. Only 10% of traffic on Strand Road is locally generated and so a substantial amount of through traffic will be removed as well as HGV and LGV traffic.

It would appear therefore that DCC acknowledge Strand Road as a HGV route. Doubtful that the remaining 90% traffic is all leisure
    But not a "substantial amount" based on the wording above.

Most car traffic on Strand Road is leisure traffic.

To use your own phraseology in relation to statement ‘most car traffic on Strand Road is leisure traffic’ - Source please?

Trudee wrote: »
    To use your own phraseology in relation to statement ‘most car traffic on Strand Road is leisure traffic’ - Source please?

Same source as FU had for his claim that most cyclists there are leisure traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Same source as FU had for his claim that most cyclists there are leisure traffic.

That was a slow-burning punchline!

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1366388422399713285?s=20

This is honestly depressing to me. Look how nice this is. My small town is obsessed with the car and will probably not change until after I'm long buried

This should be the model for all small villages and towns around the country.

Birds singing, no pollution, safe spaces to relax, access is maintained, whats not to love

Has there been official feedback or a survey since the works were completed?

My source was Dublin City Council data that shows about 6,000 cyclists in the city centre at commuting times out of about 65,000 cyclists. No figures shown for Strand Rd but I somehow doubt it passed 34,000 a day.

What's your source for leisure motorists on Strand Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

https://twitter.com/robertburns73/status/1366388422399713285?s=20

This is honestly depressing to me. Look how nice this is. My small town is obsessed with the car and will probably not change until after I'm long buried

Birds singing, no pollution, safe spaces to relax, access is maintained, whats not to love

Comparing Blackrock to Sandymount would suggest blocking off the Green and the village to traffic and seeing the Strand road as the "bypass". I'd be on for that. It would open up space for proper outside dining etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

My source was Dublin City Council data that shows about 6,000 cyclists in the city centre at commuting times out of about 65,000 cyclists. No figures shown for Strand Rd but I somehow doubt it passed 34,000 a day.

Can you elucidate a little further. What do you mean 65000 cyclists? The total number of cyclists in Dublin? Why does the number in the city centre indicate the non-leisure cyclists?

There are other non-leisure reason for cycling than commuting. Shopping, obviously; collecting children from primary school is another obvious one.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Has there been official feedback or a survey since the works were completed?

Haven't a clue, I'm on the other side of the country

Advertisement