Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

First Up wrote: »
    The Strand Rd section is part of a cycle route from Sutton to Sandycove. Looking at the map, does that strike you as a route for many people going to work?

Have we moved the goals yet again???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Are people only allowed to cycle the entire length or not at all?

I asked which parts of that route will facilitate commuters.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's a pretty daft question!

This is getting weirder. Where do you think commuters go? Do you think they all work in the same building in the city centre? Can they not work in 10,000’s of different buildings all around the city and only use the bits of cycling infrastructure when required?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's a pretty daft question!

Well, we did build the M50 for all the airport workers who live in Shankill, right?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Well, we did build the M50 for all the airport workers who live in Shankill, right?

Airport workers are no longer allowed to use it since it was extended to Dublin port. Only dockers living in Shankill are now permitted to travel on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I used to commute from Dun Laoghaire into town. I think if the cycle way was in place I’d rather cycle the extra couple of K along the strand than along Merrion Road as it would be a far more enjoyable spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I used to commute from Dun Laoghaire into town. I think if the cycle way was in place I’d rather cycle the extra couple of K along the strand than along Merrion Road as it would be a far more enjoyable spin.

If you're going to enjoy it that makes it a leisure spin, not a commute. There are rules!! :mad:

This is getting weirder. Where do you think commuters go? Do you think they all work in the same building in the city centre? Can they not work in 10,000’s of different buildings all around the city and only use the bits of cycling infrastructure when required?

OK, I'll try again.

Which parts of the Sutton to Sandycove cycling route will result in enough commuters leaving their cars at home to justify diverting motorised traffic off a widely used route into a quiet village with narrow streets?

OK, I'll try again.

Which parts of the Sutton to Sandycove cycling route will result in enough commuters leaving their cars at home to justify diverting motorised traffic off a widely used route into a quiet village with narrow streets?

Why are you so focused on commuters? People shopping aren’t commuters. Neither are those cycling to school etc.

All high quality cycling infrastructure encourages people to cycle rather than drive.

• Advertisement

Why are you so focused on commuters? People shopping aren’t commuters. Neither are those cycling to school etc.
    True, although not many carry their shopping home on bicycles and I'm not sure many parents will be happy for their children to cycle to school on the roads not on the cycle way.
    All high quality cycling infrastructure encourages people to cycle rather than drive.
    Which is great, if it takes them where they need to go. Anywhere is good for a spin on a Sunday afternoon but Monday morning is a bit trickier.

True, although not many carry their shopping home on bicycles and I'm not sure many parents will be happy for their children to cycle to school on the roads not on the cycle way.

Which is great, if it takes them where they need to go. Anywhere is good for a spin on a Sunday afternoon but Monday morning is a bit trickier.

You are right. Every road in the country (with 2 or more lanes) should have a vehicular traffic lane changed to a 2 way cycle track.

Although, your Monday morning point is a bit odd. Take a trip out to clontarf, or even to Dun laoghaire and you’ll see people of all ages, and reasons cycling on the cycle track.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So because the strand road doesn't take a lot of drivers directly to where they are actually going, they shouldn't be on it. With you now. That's the logic you're applying.

Weepsie wrote:
    So because the strand road doesn't take a lot of drivers directly to where they are actually going, they shouldn't be on it. With you now. That's the logic you're applying.

They are welcome to be on it and the closer it goes to their destination the more likely they will.

Although, your Monday morning point is a bit odd. Take a trip out to clontarf, or even to Dun laoghaire and you’ll see people of all ages, and reasons cycling on the cycle track.

Good for them, but not sure how many are going to work or school or doing the shopping.

Good for them, but not sure how many are going to work or school or doing the shopping.

The majority are. :rolleyes:

What does it matter anyway?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

WEll Sutton to Sandycove would go past docks/port, IFSC, Grand Canal Dock, East Point Business Park, to name just a handful of areas with huge amounts of employees.

It take you 5 mins from Ballsbridge, a few mins from Trinity College, Grafton Street area, Henry Street Area and basically opens up the trip to the City in a different, safer way

It's a route that will allow you to take any number of options to get to these places in a safer and quicker manner.

The Royal Canal cycleway doesn't bring me to directly to work, it was one of a number of route options, and it's longer but I take it because I don't have to stop as often, I don't have to mix with nearly as much traffic, and because of that it's quicker and safer. It means I arrive at work from a different direction than I would have if I were driving or using public transport.

Does it matter anyway?

That depends on how it is used. If it leads to a lot more people cycling instead of driving to work, shops, schools etc then you could argue it is worth the disruption to commercial traffic and congestion on side roads.

If it is used mostly for Sunday spins you could argue differently.

That depends on how it is used. If it leads to a lot more people cycling instead of driving to work, shops, schools etc then you could argue it is worth the disruption to commercial traffic and congestion on side roads.

If it is used mostly for Sunday spins you could argue differently.

No you can’t argue differently. It would be infantile to try to.

What has you so afraid of people enjoying themselves on a Sunday? Parents out with their kids sound horrendous on a Sunday....but only on Sunday.

No you can’t argue differently. It would be infantile to try to.

What has you so afraid of people enjoying themselves on a Sunday? Parents out with their kids sound horrendous on a Sunday....but only on Sunday.

If the cycle path is little used except for weekend jaunts, you can be sure it will be argued differently.

• Advertisement

If the cycle path is little used except for weekend jaunts, you can be sure it will be argued differently.

I recommend going out to Clontarf, or to the new cycle track that DLRCC built any morning and you’ll see that it will be used a lot every day. However, I doubt you’ll investigate further because it would prove you wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If only a trial went ahead to see if it would work or not

Anyone else worried they won’t sleep tonight for fear that the M50 will be under utilised? All motorists should be using it even if it doesn’t take them directly to their final destination.

I recommend going out to Clontarf, or to the new cycle track that DLRCC built any morning and you’ll see that it will be used a lot every day. However, I doubt you’ll investigate further because it would prove you wrong.

I'm interested in how cycle paths are used but the Clontarf path didn't need any road closures or diversions. The Sandymount path needs more evaluation than just counting the bicycles on it.

I'm interested in how cycle paths are used but the Clontarf path didn't need any road closures or diversions. The Sandymount path needs more evaluation than just counting the bicycles on it.

What about the Blackrock to Sandycove one? You seem to have accidentally left it out. Roads became one way and lanes were repurposed just like the Strand road trial plans. No roads are being closed!

Is “more evaluation” where you are moving the goalposts to next?

What about the Blackrock to Sandycove one? You seem to have accidentally left it out. Roads became one way and lanes were repurposed just like the Strand road trial plans. No roads are being closed!
    Repurposed. Nice word.

Blackrock to Sandycove doesn't affect access to the country's largest port and Liffey crossing.
    Is “more evaluation†where you are moving the goalposts to next?
    My goalposts are firmly in place thanks. It's just that it's taken you a while to spot them.

Repurposed. Nice word.

Blackrock to Sandycove doesn't affect access to the country's largest port and Liffey crossing.

My goalposts are firmly in place thanks. It's just that it's taken you a while to spot them.

We have been through port access already. It is still very accessible, and the Liffey has many other crossings. The only vehicles being stopped from accsssibg the port from the south side of the city will be 5 axle trucks who will have to use the route they are supposed to be using already I.e. m50 and tunnel. All other vehicles can still access the port via Sean Moore road if their drivers wish. Nothing has changed there.

Btw, repurposed is factual. Closed is not. However, when trying to cast doubt about something, it is common that incorrect words suck as ‘closed’ in this case are portrayed as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1366502537138962439

Mannix wont be getting any sleep tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1366502537138962439

Mannix wont be getting any sleep tonight lol

Hopefully they ramp up the enforcement - the fines don’t seem very high to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I wonder if they'll actually issue fines

Advertisement