Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,104 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My granddad used to cycle to work from Finglas to city centre, never owned a car. Cars were kind of pushed on people in the last decades and now I'm probably the only person in my cul de sac of a working class area that doesn't have a car, most of the houses seem to have 2 or more.
    I had to block that Lacey bloke on Twitter I just find him so unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think (apart from accusing people of lying) what seems to be people's backs up about DL is the constant avowing of support for these things in theory, and then opposing pretty much all of them. As I said, he called an emergency meeting over one (1) bicycle rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There are loads of ways. Google Maps will help you to plan your route!

Which do you recommend - and why? Or does your interest only extend as far as cycling?

Stop right there. It is not closing it to motorists to get to the bridge. Motorists simply are not going to be allowed travel in one direction and need to make alternative arangements, of which there are still plenty. It is not the end of the world, despite your desperate portrayals.

Again, what routes do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think (apart from accusing people of lying) what seems to be people's backs up about DL is the constant avowing of support for these things in theory, and then opposing pretty much all of them. As I said, he called an emergency meeting over one (1) bicycle rack.

That's what I can't stand, along with the trotting out of "I'm a cyclist myself" then refuses to answer where he cycles and whether or not he thinks it's dangerous. Funnily enough, one place he has admitted to cycling is the footpath on Beach Road in order to proclaim it wide enough for cyclists and peds.

People like him are not the type of politicians needed to progress Dublin City.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Again, what routes do you recommend?

What's your start point, destination and vehicle type? I'll recommend you a route based on that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

DoraDelite wrote: »
    What's your start point, destination and vehicle type? I'll recommend you a route based on that information.

Timbuktu to North Pole and MUST cross the East Link.

DoraDelite wrote:

Let's say Blackrock or Stillorgan to the East Link.

Let's say Blackrock or Stillorgan to the East Link.

The East Link bridge itself???? OBSESSED!!! :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which do you recommend - and why? Or does your interest only extend as far as cycling?
    You have been given suggestions and immediately ignored them.
    Don't push your ignorance back onto me!

As for my interest, it is not limited to cycling and maybe it will surprise you but I was a mod of the motors forum here for years.
    I am however, a realist who knows that having the current volume of traffic driving around the city is unsustainable, not only from a pollution and environment perspective but also from a "roads simply can't cope" perspective.
    I'd like to consider myself as quite informed about sustainability.
    In recent years, there have been attempts to improve the situation including measures such as BusConnects and they were opposed by selfish residents groups and narrow minded politicians who wanted to keep the car-dependent status quo.
    I grew up with a father who was deeply involved in planning and made it clear over the years that Dublin's planning was unsustainable due in part to both curruption and NIMBYism but also because Ireland viewed the car in a similar manner to Thatcher - it was a symbol of wealth.
    His profession in many ways rubbed off on me and I now take an active interest in ensuring that my city and country are developed in a ssutainable manner and that they work for everyone, not just a select few!

However, none of this is really relevant because not only have you ignored all of the facts presented to you over the last day or so on the matter and I suspect will continue with your nonsense line of questioning and assertions.

• Advertisement

The East Link bridge itself???? OBSESSED!!!

OK, Dublin Port or the Point Tunnel.

The East Link bridge itself???? OBSESSED!!!

What's your final destination, not a point on the journey. Are you going to Swords? Navan? Drogheda for example?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Strand Rd would be effectively closed but the businesses and residents around Sandymount Green, Park Avenue and Gilford Rd will be glad to know they have only been repurposed.
    Nonsense
    Ask a city/East Link/Dublin Port Port bound motorist to explain it to you.
    As someone who lived there for years, I do wonder do you actually live in the area. It will add very little time on in commuter times. Loads of alternatives as I imagine you actually know if you live around the area.
    Timbuktu to North Pole and MUST cross the East Link.

Typical, you don't even need the Strand Road for that trip, I wonder are you local either. HERE

Jaysus. The Port Tunnel (if that is what you meant) is not a destination unless you are going to the company that operates it. LOL. To get there from Blackrock go in the Merrion Road and head for Samuel Beckett bridge onto Guild St, turn right onto Sheriff St Upper, go to end of road, turn left and straight to the tunnel.

CramCycle wrote:
    As someone who lived there for years, I do wonder do you actually live in the area. It will add very little time on in commuter times. Loads of alternatives as I imagine you actually know if you live around the area.

I know the area well enough to know that the roads around Sandymount and Lansdowne Rd that lead to the East Link are not designed or suitable for heavy commercial traffic. You don't care but if DCC are taking away the Strand Rd option you would like to think they have thought about the consequences.

DoraDelite wrote:
    What's your final destination, not a point on the journey. Are you going to Swords? Navan? Drogheda for example?

Dublin Airport, A ferry terminal, 3 Arena. Take your pick.

Jaysus. The Port Tunnel (if that is what you meant) is not a destination unless you are going to the company that operates it. LOL. To get there from Blackrock go in the Merrion Road and head for Samuel Beckett bridge onto Guild St, turn right onto Sheriff St Upper, go to end of road, turn left and straight to the tunnel.

So the East Link Bridge is effectively redundant going north?

I know the area well enough to know that the roads around Sandymount and Lansdowne Rd that lead to the East Link are not designed or suitable for heavy commercial traffic. You don't care but if DCC are taking away the Strand Rd option you would like to think they have thought about the consequences.
    You mean like banning large commercial vehicles from the area?

There was going to be a ban on such vehicles in the area so that point is mute, any coming up there should be out to the M50 and around by the port tunnel. Those who have exceptions to be in the area would more likely go up the Rock Road into town and across the Liffey. Your own point is beyond daft as the Strand Road wasn't designed or suitable for heavy commercial traffic, the only part near there that is is at the East Link Toll around the recycling centre. Again, I don't think you live in the area at all. Once you hit Irish town, the roads are not heavy vehicle usage roads and are not built to accomodate them. In fact this plan makes the Strand Road at least usable for outbound heavy vehicles.

So just to be clear, you don't live in the area and you don't know what you are talking about, have I got that right. I say this as someone who thinks the bike track is unnecessary, but the single lane one way system is very necessary. Put an average speed camera system at both ends, limit it at 30kmph, job done.

Also, for the love of god please google traffic evaporation before posting again as I will have to start presuming that you are not willing to engage in discussion.

• Advertisement

You mean like banning large commercial vehicles from the area?

Which also means they can't use the East Link Bridge.

Don't you think that's a lot of trouble for the sake of a few hundred meters of boardwalk?

Don't you think that's a lot of trouble for the sake of a few hundred meters of boardwalk?

You are missing your own point quite blatantly, Strand Road itself was not designed or suitable for heavy commercial vehicles en masse. Never has been. You said so yourself when you named other surrounding roads that are equally unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is Strand Road designed or suitable for heavy commercial traffic? Residential street, lots of private cars stored on public space, outdoor amenity spaces adjacent?

CramCycle wrote:
    So just to be clear, you don't live in the area and you don't know what you are talking about, have I got that right. I say this as someone who thinks the bike track is unnecessary, but the single lane one way system is very necessary. Put an average speed camera system at both ends, limit it at 30kmph, job done.

I never said it was unnecessary. I never even said it isn't a good idea. I just said that closing Strand Rd to cars, minibuses, delivery vans and all other motorised traffic and the resulting disruption is a perverse way to do it, when a few hundred meters of boardwalk solves the problem.

Dublin Airport, A ferry terminal, 3 Arena. Take your pick.

Great examples of infrequent journeys from Blackrock, particularly the Ferry terminal, what's that one, once a year at best?

Dublin airport - M50, currently 34 mins on google maps. Lets not forget that a lot of the flight schedules are early morning/late evening so your trip on the M50 is generally off peak.

Dublin port - according to google maps take Tritonville Road, currently says 21 mins. Here's the ferry schedule currently, all off peak times:
    Dub - France 16:00
    Dub - Holyhead - 08:15, 8:05, 14:30, 14:45

3 Arena - you'd be quicker cycling when there's a concert on even with Strand road open. 30 min hop on a bike. But if you insist on driving and you'll need to park, then you are heading for the car park on north wall road, you have several options to get there also.

You're going around in circles. If you took the brief time required to look at a map you would see that there are plenty of routes to access the East Link from the southside. Stop convincing yourself that there aren't!

as for a boardwalk, I don't want one. I never said that I did and if I were to back one, I know that between NIMBY residents, local councillors and opposition for environmental reasons, it would take many many years and a heck of a lot of money if it ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The relevant bit of text is slightly obscured, but did the NTA say that the off-road alternative would take six years to develop?

https://twitter.com/0xB0D/status/1362557259906244620

Is Strand Road designed or suitable for heavy commercial traffic? Residential street, lots of private cars stored on public space, outdoor amenity spaces adjacent?

It is able to handle private cars, minibuses, tradesmen in white vans - even oil delivery trucks. All of which would have to go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Great examples of infrequent journeys from Blackrock, particularly the Ferry terminal, what's that one, once a year at best?

Dublin airport - M50, currently 34 mins on google maps. Lets not forget that a lot of the flight schedules are early morning/late evening so your trip on the M50 is generally off peak.

Dublin port - according to google maps take Tritonville Road, currently says 21 mins. Here's the ferry schedule currently, all off peak times:
    Dub - France 16:00
    Dub - Holyhead - 08:15, 8:05, 14:30, 14:45

3 Arena - you'd be quicker cycling when there's a concert on even with Strand road open. 30 min hop on a bike. But if you insist on driving and you'll need to park, then you are heading for the car park on north wall road, you have several options to get there also.

And driving to the airport or a gig is a leisure drive

• Advertisement

If you took the brief time required to look at a map you would see that there are plenty of routes to access the East Link from the southside. Stop convincing yourself that there aren't!
    So through Ballsbridge, down Shelbourne Rd in as far as Pearse Street and then down through the narrow streets of Ringsend. Which of us is going around in circles?
    as for a boardwalk, I don't want one. I never said that I did and if I were to back one, I know that between NIMBY residents, local councillors and opposition for environmental reasons, it would take many many years and a heck of a lot of money if it ever happened.

A boardwalk would be lovely and well within engineering capability. You didn't say why you don't want one but some Strand Rd residents might prefer it to going around in circles.

Advertisement