Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

First Up wrote: »
    I described the impact of preventing motor vehicles accessing Sean Moore Rd via Strand Rd in an earlier post. Have a look at it - and the replies.

MOD VOICE: Via PM please. Please send a link with the posts and I will look into it, the previous warning still stands to all posters, not just yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think it is more that as people who have firsthand seen how scary it can be to cycle on that road, the trial of something safe is too good to allow some NIMBY residents and politicians to block just so they can continute to have the unsustainable levels of traffic travel along the road.

About 250 meters between Irishtown Park and the promenade need to be reconfigured to get a safe and equitable solution for everyone. Other options for that deserve more thought, as do the consequences of what DCC want to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

About 250 meters between Irishtown Park and the promenade need to be reconfigured to get a safe and equitable solution for everyone. Other options for that deserve more thought, as do the consequences of what DCC want to do.

It's not about equity. If it was about equity then the trial goes ahead as pretty much every bit of infrastructure is car centric which is wrong in small urban areas and a city the size of Dublin.

Private vehicles are now and will be (rightly) last on the list of prioritized modes of transport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

For the second time, it's 750 metres. Not 250 metres. Have you even been to Sandymount? How could anyone who knows Strand Road think the park and the promenade are 250 metres away?
    Peregrine wrote: »
    Expert transport advice for the CEO of Dublin City from a guy who can't measure distance between two points properly.

8Vtah3F.png

And probably collected more abuse than anyone else but who's counting?

Being called out on your false statements and traveling goalposts isn't abuse. You've made more posts on this thread than anyone except one other user but have made no effort to understand the proposal or even the area. Instead, you decided to double down every time you were challenged.
    It's clear from this forum that for the cyclistas, Strand Rd has attained symbolic status and become an ideological battleground. No room for logic in that and I should have known better than try to introduce it.

Best of luck to all, especially anyone depending on DCC for a sensible solution.
    If by "cyclista" you mean just wanting to get from A to B without being run over then I'll wear it as a badge of honour.

You've introduced many things to thread but logic is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

It is actually closer to 700 metres between the end of the promenade and Sean Moore park but is is not like you to be disingenuous now is it.

Not withstanding that, suppose a boardwalk solve that issue. What do you intend to to at the other end of strand road to accommodate a safe segregated cycle path. For the 300 metres from Merion gates, there is no promenade to build over. The road has private dwellings on either side and no means of providing for a cycle path without utilising the road space.

The days of Strand road as a main arterial route are finished once Dart frequencies are increased and the gates are down for up to 50% of the time. When the good citizens of Sandymount blocked the building of a flyover there, they ensured the future redundancy of the road as a main thoroughfare for motorised traffic.

If you absolutely must drive to the east link itself, you can still access if via Merion road/Serpentine avenue/Tritonville road. If your final destination happens to be somewhere beyond the east link itself, a better alternative will likely be more obvious. The idea that sandymount green would become clogged with rat runs is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And by equitable, you mean that cyclists will continue to have their lives and safety, and that of their families, endangered daily by motorists speeding through the area with four empty seats while checking their WhatsApp funny pictures group chats.

Equitable indeed.

Peregrine wrote:
    For the second time, it's 750 metres. Not 250 metres. Have you even been to Sandymount? How could anyone who knows Strand Road think the park and the promenade are 250 metres away?

250 metres was quoted in one study and I'll find it later. Google Maps shows Marine Rd to Roslyn Park as 300 meters. That is almost exactly the length of the beach. I ran out to the bird sanctuary and harbour wall for many years. It took about 2 minutes to get across the bit of beach and on to the promenade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

250 metres was quoted in one study and I'll find it later. Google Maps shows Marine Rd to Roslyn Park as 300 meters. That is almost exactly the length of the beach. I ran out to the bird sanctuary and harbour wall for many years. It took about 2 minutes to get across the bit of beach and on to the promenade.

Makes sense. If you were a frequent runner then you would have been completing 5k runs in 20 minutes at that pace. Maybe you didn’t realise you covered ~500m in the 2 minutes.

Are you actually going to argue with a map? You really don't know when you are wrong do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Alias G wrote: »
    Are you actually going to argue with a map? You really don't know when you are wrong do you?

Unless the representation on the map is incorrect, Roslyn Park is not at the far end of the beach.

Makes sense. If you were a frequent runner then you would have been completing 5k runs in 20 minutes at that pace. Maybe you didn’t realise you covered ~500m in the 2 minutes.

Haha, I wish.

Alias G wrote:

Did you look at the map?

Did you look at the map?

I didn't have to. I went to the trouble of measuring it myself and surprise surprise, got the same answer.

Did you look at the map?
    Tell you what, instead of sending us off to watch long videos or do your homework for you, you send us a screenshot of the 250m that you think is required.

Do you mean Marine Drive? The promenade doesn't start at Roslyn. To run the 750 metre distance between Marine Drive and the promenade in 2 minutes, you would have to run at 22.5 km/h.

eDN7EfHl.jpg

270 metres was quoted in a report by the National Transport Authority when it was asked to look into operating a one way section between Merrion Hall and Merrion Gates based on one of the opposition groups' napkin-based engineering drawings. That's the southern end of Strand Road if you're not familiar.

Here's a line from the conclusion about how long it could take to clear that one way section:
    Applying this departure rate to our queuing
    example above would imply that a vehicle arriving at the back on the queue at exactly 13:00 would
    encounter a residual queue of 1746 vehicles and the time to clear the queue would be 7 hours and 12 minutes

7 hours and 12 bloody minutes. You want this for the 750m northern section? The plan to make the entire road one way which you are opposing would result in a lot less congestion.

The report said it would be dangerous and infeasible. The fact that you were taking this debunked idea and presenting it as your own brilliant idea for the northern section until you mixed up the distance involved shows just how deep into the barrel you're willing to scrape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

Alias G wrote: »
    Are you actually going to argue with a map?

Ah, but does the map take into account the curvature of the earth?

Potentially non-Euclidean geometry comes into play as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

We haven't discounted that First Up knows of a wormhole on Strand Road. That extra 500m?

interstellar-wormhole-explanation.gif?w=640

Energize!

545896.jpg

• Advertisement

Reading maps on the phone can be tricky. I'll try again:
    The promenade starts nearly opposite the Gilford Rd junction with Strand Rd. The non-tidal part of the beach is opposite Seafort Avenue and the distance shows on Google Maps at about 370 meters.

Yes, thats longer than the 250 I earlier estimated but hardly an insurmountable engineering challenge or too long to accommodate an alternate flow system. And any delay it would cause would still be easier than a diversion through Sandymount Village or on Londonbridge Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The promenade starts nearly opposite the Gilford Rd junction with Strand Rd. The non-tidal part of the beach is opposite Seafort Avenue and the distance shows on Google Maps at about 370 meters.

Yes, thats longer than the 250 I earlier estimated but hardly an insurmountable engineering challenge or too long to accommodate an alternate flow system. And any delay it would cause would still be easier than a diversion through Sandymount Village or on Londonbridge Rd.

Gilford road to Seafort Avenue is 700m..

And what about the other end of Strand Road? The 300 metres approaching Merrion Gates. You seem to be ignoring this portion of the road altogether for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

What Google Maps are you using? Mine says 700m

Gilford Rd to Seafort Ave.png

Dowee wrote:
    What Google Maps are you using? Mine says 700m

Look at the Steps under Directions On my version the section on Strand Rd is shown at 400m and the promenade starts a bit sooner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Gilford road to Seafort Avenue is 700m..
    Maybe that was before they moved the streets closer together?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@First Up
    I disagree profoundly with most of what you say, But I must say, that I Really admire your tenacity.
    As someone with virtually no skin in this particular game, I'm enjoying your contributions.
    Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Look at the Steps under Directions On my version the section on Strand Rd is shown at 400m and the promenade starts a bit sooner.

Don't understand what you're saying. Maybe you could share a screenshot of your measurement.

What version? You haven't presented your map. But please go ahead and give us a good laugh.

And respond with your proposal for the southern portion of the cycle track while you are at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Others are actually providing proof this time, unless you provide it via screenshot of where you are on about, I will have to take it you are trolling.

Advertisement