Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They wont like that but it's just a number plucked from thin air really and no one will adhere to it. I regularly get passed by people doing 70 and 80 on 30km streets near my house.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is the 5 axle ban going ahead as well, great news for everyone if this is enforced but I doubt it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Large increase in Bleeper bike usage in Blanch/Castleknock, Portmarnick and Blackrock & Dun Laoighre in the last year...

EwMXhXWXMAACnC3?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Large increase in Bleeper bike usage in Blanch/Castleknock, Portmarnick and Blackrock & Dun Laoighre in the last year...

Mannix Flynn is all about the *bleep*ing increase in mother*bleep*ers on *bleep*ing bikes

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »

Maybe throw in some footpath parking enforcement for good measure.

I thought this was quite good and sums up the response to Sandymount

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1369967790183026689

ronoc wrote: »
    Maybe throw in some footpath parking enforcement for good measure.

Speaking of which the RSA twote this tweet today, all well and good but there wont be any enforcement

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1370009000876662784

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Speaking of which the RSA twote this tweet today, all well and good but there wont be any enforcement

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1370009000876662784

We'll remind you and continue to do bugger all about it.

cgcsb wrote: »
    We'll remind you and continue to do bugger all about it.

Given how the Garda do it themselves and don't enforce it, you can't really blame people for parking on footpaths, I think most people aren't even aware it's illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

Given how the Garda do it themselves and don't enforce it, you can't really blame people for parking on footpaths, I think most people aren't even aware it's illegal.

A neighbour complained a couple of weeks ago about people parking on the footpath in the estate, that she couldn't get her buggy by. Last weekend her husband's car was parked fully on the footpath outside their house, despite the fact there's a space in the driveway for it.

People are aware it's illegal and wrong, but do it because they just don't think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The 30 kph speed limit on Strand Road isn't enforceable. The Council are full of shyte.

Enforceable speed limits need a new bye-law, even road works limits. That requires a minimum consultation period. Putting up signs is just that.

The bloody Council should make good their works instead of looking to duck responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The bloody Council should make good their works instead of looking to duck responsibility.

I thought you were all about not wasting tax payers money?
    Why make good the works only to redo them in a couple of months time?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There is a special speed limit by law that surely covers this and your concerns?

They intended strand road to be 30kmph as far back as last June. There was a 2 month public consulatation for it too I'm sure as I had the map pinned to the wall in work for people to see.

Effects wrote: »
    I thought you were all about not wasting tax payers money?
    Why make good the works only to redo them in a couple of months time?

Not a sinner alive with braincell one believes this cycle track is going to proceed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not a sinner alive with braincell one believes this cycle track is going to proceed.

If your going to bring braincells into the argument, you'd better make sure that you have your syntax in order, unless you're Yoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

hmmm like Yoda you speak

Who's Yoda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

77453a184c32a9eddd5c63c24d79dbc9.jpg
    Who's Yoda?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

30kph limit excellent, will make my daily cycle on that road far more pleasant.
    If they enforce it...
    They should put average speed cameras on it. I think they did during the M7 roadworks didn't they? Borrow some from the port tunnel :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The 30 kph speed limit on Strand Road isn't enforceable. The Council are full of shyte.

Enforceable speed limits need a new bye-law, even road works limits. That requires a minimum consultation period. Putting up signs is just that.

Road works speed limits are issued by order of the Chief Executive. Not bye-laws. This is why they're called "Road Works Speed Limit Orders" and not "Road Works Speed Limit Bye-laws".

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Here's a sample Road Works Speed Limit Order from South Dublin County Council, Larbre34.

ZeahqRGl.jpg

Would you like to move your goalposts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

eeeee wrote: »
    30kph limit excellent, will make my daily cycle on that road far more pleasant.
    If they enforce it...
    They should put average speed cameras on it. I think they did during the M7 roadworks didn't they? Borrow some from the port tunnel :D

good for pedestrians too, I cross that road a lot, so if I can judge 30K correctly it will be up to the cars to slow down not me needing to speed up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Larbre34 wrote:

Quick, to the crowd funding support machine...

In fairness, I'm sure they'd love to make food the work they started, but they were told to drop tool pending a court case which seems to be an even bigger waste of public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll be taking orders for the t-shirt when the time comes. :cool:

Peregrine wrote: »
    Here's a sample Road Works Speed Limit Order from South Dublin County Council, Larbre34.

ZeahqRGl.jpg

Would you like to move your goalposts?

Yeah I know....

Show me the exec order from DCC and we'll talk. The Garda RPU can take months to respond to those things, DCC have offered no evidence of the their order. Lets see what happens with actual enforcement or is it just more bull from the frustrated executive at DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Looks like another poster was right about boiling locals piss.

For someone who claims to have no skin in the game, you are getting fairly incensed by everything on that road that may improve the current status. You sound like one of the protagonists in the court case. All it takes is one motorist to abide by the new speed limit and it is enforced for the other motorists behind them ;). However, the way a few of the locals have been conducting themselves I fully expect them to either vandalise or remove the new speed limit signs.

P.S. I don’t believe a word of your post above. It looks like another case of grasping at straws, and will be filed under my BS list. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Even if they weren't planning a cyclepath there, a 30kph limit would still be a great idea for that stretch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Effects wrote: »
    Even if they weren't planning a cyclepath there, a 30kph limit would still be a great idea for that stretch.

This, forget the cycle lane if that is what ires a load of people, a 30kmph is a good idea, a one way system is a good idea, a 5 axle ban is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CramCycle wrote: »
    This, forget the cycle lane if that is what ires a load of people, a 30kmph is a good idea, a one way system is a good idea, a 5 axle ban is a good idea.

What the majority of locals want doesn’t seem to matter to a few who insist in fighting against even the tiniest change to improve safety for all. They are both great ideas, but it feels like the few are being rewarded for their persistent resistance to change. Maybe it’s just me, but if all trucks from the port were directed across the east link rather than the tunnel, it may make the few realise how good things could be.

Advertisement