Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, I said CETA will take them out. Do pay attention.

Ok but here's what you actually said:
    Put it this way, Moyross is the first, CETA will be 2 and Strand Road / Beach Road will be the hat-trick for Mr Ryan in this period. Out of necessity, the Govt will hold together, but I'm not sure the same will be said for his party.

When you equate a Transcontinental trade deal that took years to negotiate.....with a traffic diversion

Walter Mitty is jealous of the folks in Strand Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Northside but had to come to town for dental appt but took the new cycleway at north strand and canal and they are planting loads of trees there, it'll be gorgeous in 10 or 20 years if kids dont wreck them all before they have a chance to grow.
    From there to south anne st is mostly segregated lanes which is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Peregrine wrote: »
    Ok but here's what you actually said:

And? The jury is still well out on all these issues (obviously Moyross is sorted, but yet more new road schemes are going to cross his desk and test the party further).

He's probably delighted Strand Road will be decided by the Courts now and CETA remains the elephant in the room for a very divided party.

they are planting loads of trees there, it'll be gorgeous in 10 or 20 years if kids dont wreck them all before they have a chance to grow.

There were a few roads in Galway city where the council did the same, planted a load and how they sorted out the kids killing them was just to keep planting. The kids eventually got bored. Those roads now have gorgeous trees on them

• Advertisement

There were a few roads in Galway city where the council did the same, planted a load and how they sorted out the kids killing them was just to keep planting. The kids eventually got bored. Those roads now have gorgeous trees on them

Yeah this is Sheriff St though, different kettle of fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

And? The jury is still well out on all these issues (obviously Moyross is sorted, but yet more new road schemes are going to cross his desk and test the party further).

He's probably delighted Strand Road will be decided by the Courts now and CETA remains the elephant in the room for a very divided party.

Do you really think that Strand Road is one of Eamon Ryan’s and the Green party’s biggest concerns? La la land stuff from you.

Do you really think that Strand Road is one of Eamon Ryan’s and the Green party’s biggest concerns? La la land stuff from you.

The principle of it is, absolutely. Look the divisions within the party over programme for Govt issues and the haemorrhage of members over what were unrealistic policies to bring into a coalition in the first place!

If that had ended up on Ryan's desk as a policy issue, rather than in Court as a legal issue and he had no choice but to follow his officials' advice about the planning laws, it could have finished him as Green leader, then as Minister as a consequence and ultimately as a local TD.

The only ones living in Lala land is the likes of yourself who are entirely naive as to how politics actually works in this place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The principle of it is, absolutely. Look the divisions within the party over programme for Govt issues and the haemorrhage of members over what were unrealistic policies to bring into a coalition in the first place!

If that had ended up on Ryan's desk as a policy issue, rather than in Court as a legal issue and he had no choice but to follow his officials' advice about the planning laws, it could have finished him as Green leader, then as Minister as a consequence and ultimately as a local TD.

The only ones living in Lala land is the likes of yourself who are entirely naive as to how politics actually works in this place.

He romped home in 2020 all things considered, was first in 2016. He bounced back from 2011 when the greens were decimated.

Yet mannix 7% of the vote is supposed to be representative of the people? Give over calling people delusional when he's your champion.

I'd love to know why it is you care so much about this, given you're way out Dublin west going by your postings in the forum (I work very near the area, and with a lot of local groups for the record). Do you care that much about planning law? Will you then go door to door to the many residents of Sandymount who evidently don't have the correct PP for their works?

Larbre - can you tell me how getting rid of Merrion Gates is going to work, no one seems to know? Are they building an over or underpass? I don't think they'll be able to close the road completely given how this debacle has gone with the cycle lane.

• Advertisement

I'm concerned that you may actually believe all this.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd love to know why it is you care so much about this, given you're way out Dublin west going by your postings in the forum (I work very near the area, and with a lot of local groups for the record). Do you care that much about planning law? Will you then go door to door to the many residents of Sandymount who evidently don't have the correct PP for their works?

It can't be planning law given how often he's been caught out not actually knowing any relevant bits of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Peregrine wrote: »
    I'm concerned that you may actually believe all this.

At the still heart of the turning cosmos ... Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

SDCC have a survey on the Dodder Greenway open - https://www.innovision.ie/sdcc-drl

This is used to be my route to college once upon a time. Given the road is currently two-way and they're making it one-way, and there's already a marked two-way cycle track on the footpath for most of the length, there's a lot of space to play with.

Yet for some unfathomable reason, they've decided to make the separate track and path into a continuous 'shared space'. Part of the Greenway aim is to 'cater for commuter cyclists', I don't see how this fits into that.

Anyway, go forth and leave feedback if you can find the form in the virtual room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

buffalo wrote: »
    SDCC have a survey on the Dodder Greenway open - https://www.innovision.ie/sdcc-drl

This is used to be my route to college once upon a time. Given the road is currently two-way and they're making it one-way, and there's a marked two-way cycle track on the footpath for most of the length, there's a lot of space to play with.

Yet for some unfathomable reason, they've decided to make the separate track and path into a continuous 'shared space'. Part of the Greenway aim is to 'cater for commuter cyclists', I don't see how this fits into that.

Anyway, go forth and leave feedback if you can find the form in the virtual room.

DLR have done the same in Clonkeen Park/Kilbogget Park on the recently widened and resurfaced path. Grand for tipping along with families but no use for commuting or even teenagers going to school as there is too much conflict. Whereas in Blackrock Park they have lined it for pedestrians and cyclists on either side of the path. Not sure why the difference. Maybe Blackrock Park is slightly wider..

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    DLR have done the same in Clonkeen Park/Kilbogget Park on the recently widened and resurfaced path. Grand for tipping along with families but no use for commuting or even teenagers going to school as there is too much conflict. Whereas in Blackrock Park they have lined it for pedestrians and cyclists on either side of the path. Not sure why the difference. Maybe Blackrock Park is slightly wider..

Blackrock park they have decided to swap what side you cycle/walk on halfway through which boggles the mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Blackrock park they have decided to swap what side you cycle/walk on halfway through which boggles the mind!

Yeah, I spotted that the other week. I slowed right down as I approached an old lady close to that point, and when we met, she said she wasn't sure which side she was meant to be walking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This is used to be my route to college once upon a time. Given the road is currently two-way and they're making it one-way, and there's already a marked two-way cycle track on the footpath for most of the length, there's a lot of space to play with.

Both Cork Councils are now doing "greenway" for almost every scheme.
    Their justification is that they found an obscure paper from the EU called "Give Cycling a Chance" that says shared space is fine for less than 800 people per hour.

Doing this, they can draw down EU funding for "cycle" schemes, tell the anti-cycling activists that it's footpaths/greenways and spend the money on whatever resurfacing/drainage scheme they actually wanted done in the first place.

There's a PAC investigation in there somewhere.

I'll be cycling on the road beside this sh1t for the foreseeable future.

MOAR SURVEYS: https://twitter.com/sdublincoco/status/1372937423915786240

https://canalloop.virtualeventspace.io/

edit: If you find virtual rooms an unnecessary annoyance, you can see all the info in PDF at https://canalloop.virtualeventspace.io/files/VCR_Contents3.pdf

https://connectthedots.typeform.com/to/buuFQFSD
    Welcome to the survey for the Canal Loop Urban Greenway, presented to you by South Dublin County Council (SDCC). This short survey aims to give local stakeholders and the wider community an opportunity to share their insights and ideas with us on the emerging concept route for the urban greenway. This survey is an initial first step, and part of the wider consultation and design process being led by SDCC.

Hazel Chu there, announcing an independent run for the pending Seanad by-election, against the Green Party decision not to hold a selection.

Ryan runs a tight ship alright!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the thread about cycle infrastructure in south dublin, not about the inner (or outer) workings of the green party?
    the green party are not the biggest party in any of the 3 councils with responsibility for south dublin.
    DLR managed their work with cycle infrastructure with FG having over twice as many council seats as the GP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hazel Chu there, announcing an independent run for the pending Seanad by-election, against the Green Party decision not to hold a selection.

Ryan runs a tight ship alright!

MOD VOICE: on topic or not at all, discussion via PM if clarity is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Effects wrote: »
    Didn't they pull that island on Lombard St. up a few months ago?

Passed at the weekend.

wZXg3Yc.jpg

I was in a consultation session for this, where a local gave out about the lack of consultation. When it came to her turn to give constructive feedback, she gave out about the lack of bins in Lucan and went a rambling rant about the area. :rolleyes:

I know some woman's mother had to turn her head the other way to look at the view of the coast when driving past because of a road being made one way, but apart from the the Dun Laoighaire bike lanes seem to have worked out well for the area

https://twitter.com/susy_butler/status/1378686608254320643

If you want inspiration for your feedback, a PDF of the submission from South Dublin Cycling is at https://www.dublincycling.com/sites/dublincycling.com/files/south_dublin_cycling_campaign_submission_lower_dodder_road.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

https://twitter.com/Pidge/status/1379839455046025221

Some improvement to the cycling infrastructure through Kilmainham and Islandbridge (essentially covers from Grand Canal to Phoenix Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Was a part 8 done or is it only required for Sandymount?

• Advertisement

Was a part 8 done or is it only required for Sandymount?

No, only section 38.

Supported by the full council for good measure. There was no vote (reports are only voted on if they're contentious) but the minutes of the council meeting don't list anyone formally formally opposed to it. Nobody brought up any planning issues either. It was then brought to the Transport SPC to iron out the details with councillors. No planning issues raised there either.

Mannix was at both meetings.

Advertisement