Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Peregrine wrote: »
    No, only section 38.

Supported by the full council for good measure. There was no vote (reports are only voted on if they're contentious) but the minutes of the council meeting don't list anyone formally formally opposed to it. Nobody brought up any planning issues either. It was then brought to the Transport SPC to iron out the details with councillors. No planning issues raised there either.

Mannix was at both meetings.

Did anyone think to check his pulse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

Breezer wrote: »

He's still alive, don't worry - on the topic of pedestrianising Merrion Row:
    Also on the show, Dublin City Councillor Mannix Flynn labelled the plan ‘hare-brained’ and insisted that it was “not going to happen” this summer.

“This is Dublin City Council with the NTA (National Transport Authority),” he said.

“We simply don’t lob off streets. This takes a long, long process – otherwise, you end up in court and otherwise you end up in disarray.”

He said he is ‘all on for pedestrianisation and all on for cycling’ but said the NTA will never approve the plan because the street is a main artery in the city.

:pac::pac::pac:

https://www.newstalk.com/news/councillor-slams-hare-brained-plan-to-pedestrianise-merrion-row-in-dublin-1178398

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just remove the parking on Hume St., and have traffic go in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Breezer wrote: »

They did a brain scan but didn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Effects wrote: »
    Just remove the parking on Hume St., and have traffic go in both directions.

That would set Mannix off on another rant. No one removes parking on Mannix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even before physical distancing was a thing, Merrion Row was awful as pedestrian. One bus lane (restricted to buses and cyclists) probably more realistic, even if there possible re-routing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

https://irishcycle.com/2021/04/12/dublins-pedestrianisation-plan-will-face-court-challenge-if-done-quickly-warns-cllr-flynn/

Restaurant owner seems unhappy about being expected to participate in a punch-and-judy with Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mannix is wrong about this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, don't this bate all ever.

Plans unveiled for €280m south Dublin cycle track network
    South Dublin County Council has unveiled plans to become one of Ireland’s most cycle-friendly areas by laying out 263km of bike track over the next eight years.
    At the core of the proposal is the aim of connecting the area’s schools and villages by creating a cycle network. The routes proposed would link 50 of the area’s 78 schools and connect Tallaght Town Centre with the council area’s nine villages.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plans-unveiled-for-280m-south-dublin-cycle-track-network-1.4535553

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

South Dublin County Council has unveiled plans to become one of Ireland’s most cycle-friendly areas by laying out 263km of bike track over the next eight years.
    At the core of the proposal is the aim of connecting the area’s schools and villages by creating a cycle network. The routes proposed would link 50 of the area’s 78 schools and connect Tallaght Town Centre with the council area’s nine villages.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plans-unveiled-for-280m-south-dublin-cycle-track-network-1.4535553
    Quick, to the Mannixmobile!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not even his council, never mind his area.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

https://irishcycle.com/2021/04/12/dublins-pedestrianisation-plan-will-face-court-challenge-if-done-quickly-warns-cllr-flynn/

Restaurant owner seems unhappy about being expected to participate in a punch-and-judy with Flynn

Never trust anyone who only considers the needs of disabled people who drive and not those who wheel, take public transport and those, shock horror, who cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You would think that this kind of thing would really make a difference. If kids were able to cycle to school instead of being driven, without their parents worrying. This would make the traffic a lot better for everyone. That just needs to be drilled home to the Mannix's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

loyatemu wrote: »
    not even his council, never mind his area.

That won't stop him. He's a concerned citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The bit I don't quite understand (apart from Mannix's devotion to challenging anything he hasn't thought of himself) is how come he is so sure any given project will automatically be defeated outside of due process? How is he so sure that he can speak from a position of authority?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The bit I don't quite understand (apart from Mannix's devotion to challenging anything he hasn't thought of himself) is how come he is so sure any given project will automatically be defeated outside of due process? How is he so sure that he can speak from a position of authority?

He was right about Sandymount, and he may be right about this. Stopping cars having access to somewhere is seen as something really shocking and anti-business in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He was right about Sandymount, and he may be right about this. Stopping cars having access to somewhere is seen as something really shocking and anti-business in Ireland.

But it's businesses that need this. Crying out for onstreet dining and such for cafes, pubs etc in ireland for the longest time.

The hoops and red tape small business have to go through to get even one bench or table outside their premises is just ridiculous

Weepsie wrote: »
    But it's businesses that need this. Crying out for onstreet dining and such for cafes, pubs etc in ireland for the longest time.

The hoops and red tape small business have to go through to get even one bench or table outside their premises is just ridiculous

I know they do, Hugo's knows, but there seems to be a huge cohort out there who think "Keegan and his cycling agenda are ruining the city", and that restriction of cars will be the death of the city centre. Businesses in Fairview are already moaning about the cycling track because a few parking spaces will be lost and there will be temporary detours. It's truly bizarre but they are a voice that gets a lot of traction.

He wasn't right about Sandymount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He wasn't right about Sandymount.

He was. He is. The Court will demonstrate that in due course.

But lets be clear, proposals to increase outdoor entertaining space on some City Centre streets and proposals to remove one traffic lane of a regional road that is vital to the City, are entirely different propositions.

If the City Council was being consistent here, they would be turning over a huge amount of space in Sandymount, Irishtown and Ringsend villages to outdoor activities and entertaining and divert that traffic out to Strand Road / Beach Road, instead of the other way around as is being challenged in Court currently.

But the last thing anyone can expect from this City Council under Keegan, is consistency.

Larbre34 wrote: »

But lets be clear, proposals to increase outdoor entertaining space on some City Centre streets and proposals to remove one traffic lane of a regional road that is vital to the City, are entirely different propositions.

If the City Council was being consistent here, they would be turning over a huge amount of space in Sandymount, Irishtown and Ringsend villages to outdoor activities and entertaining and divert that traffic out to Strand Road / Beach Road, instead of the other way around as is being challenged in Court currently.

But the last thing anyone can expect from this City Council under Keegan, is consistency.

You've been proven wrong on this issue several times. If you not willing to listen to reason regarding this topic you should really just let it go.

No Environmental Impact Assessment is required for traffic levels that may or may not result as a result of implementing road layout changes under a Part 8 Scheme.

End of story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Larbre34 wrote: »

Jesus f*ckin wept with this weird Keegan conspiracy nonsense from people.

Merrion gates closing in a few years anyway, are going to go someway in making these roads a lot less "vital" as you claim.

There are plans for Ringsend too. There are plans to drastically alter the centre of R'ngsend making a far better use of the space and the park area. Funding was granted recently and there's been at least 1 meeting on it and various plans shown.

Sandymount isn't the centre of the f*ckin universe. It was part of a wider interlinked network that could have massive benefits for loads of people.

Arseholes like flynn though with his 7% of the vote, and dwindling, can far too easily put the brakes on anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I occasionally torment myself :P by cycling (carefuly) through Blackrock Park (Dublin) - the situation has been improved by the widening of the path, but the inevitable mild muppetry sees that the segregation lines are ignored often enough...

Anyway, got a flyer from from Councillor Mo Dockrell that has some bullet point updates on the park, among which is the following curiously cryptic pronouncment:
    "A cycle way is being built and designed in such a way to slow down cyclists from going too fast" :rolleyes:

I was aware that they seem to be building some sort of new path(?) inland of the current tarmac pedestrian-cycle path(s). I wonder is this for cycling, and if so, are they going to remove bike access from the tarmac. And are they going to install extra bends? hillocks? dragons? But then if it were seperate why would the naughty fast cyclists need to be slowed anyway?

Can't find anything online. Anyone know the story? Yeah, I should just contact the Cllr - may do

(Another point of interest: "The narrow laneway parallel to the DART station is being expanded to provide room for all users. This has long been a hazard and the improvements are welcome"
    Amen, esp in the time of CoViD. Implies they may have reached an agreement with the Deepwell owners? Didn't see anything happening last time I was there last weeks, though.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

They have put a squiggly lane in, it's not tarred, got fine yellow chip on it. Maybe that's what they're talking about?
    I never cycle through the park, far too many pedestrians, especially now. The new paths are super busy which is really nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Kissing gates? Oh, o got the council wrong. That is South Dublin County council I am thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I occasionally torment myself :P by cycling (carefuly) through Blackrock Park (Dublin) - the situation has been improved by the widening of the path, but the inevitable mild muppetry sees that the segregation lines are ignored often enough...

Anyway, got a flyer from from Councillor Mo Dockrell that has some bullet point updates on the park, among which is the following curiously cryptic pronouncment:
    "A cycle way is being built and designed in such a way to slow down cyclists from going too fast" :rolleyes:

I was aware that they seem to be building some sort of new path(?) inland of the current tarmac pedestrian-cycle path(s). I wonder is this for cycling, and if so, are they going to remove bike access from the tarmac. And are they going to install extra bends? hillocks? dragons? But then if it were seperate why would the naughty fast cyclists need to be slowed anyway?

Can't find anything online. Anyone know the story? Yeah, I should just contact the Cllr - may do

(Another point of interest: "The narrow laneway parallel to the DART station is being expanded to provide room for all users. This has long been a hazard and the improvements are welcome"
    Amen, esp in the time of CoViD. Implies they may have reached an agreement with the Deepwell owners? Didn't see anything happening last time I was there last weeks, though.)

Interesting. I heard (anecdotally) that there was a burial ground on the other side of that wall and that was the reason for the decades long struggle to widen the path. Not sure if it was for pets or humans or if it is even true. But brilliant if they get it widened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a quick look at the archaeology.ie viewer and the 6 inch and 25 inch maps and can't see mention of one.
    interesting to note that where blackrock park is now is marked as 'floods at high tide' on the 6 inch, but by the 25 inch, has obviously been turned into a park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I passed through that stretch last night. Last year someone nicknamed it Covid Alley.
    I had heard that there's an old Georgian folly located the far side of the wall, that's protected. And that's the reason it hasn't been expanded.
    It's a bit of a joke though. Two bikes can barely pass each other. But I met a buggy coming through yesterday, so had to back up to let them through.

Advertisement