Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Weepsie wrote: »

Wouldn't that result in all the traffic being diverted through the village via the other two roads around the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

p15574 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that result in all the traffic being diverted through the village via the other two roads around the green?

It’s really not a busy stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Didn't they only finish resurfacing and putting a new traffic light on that section a couple of months ago?
    Where's Labre34 when you need him to complain about something?

It's a lot harder for two cars to pass each other at the other side of the green. I dread to think of the increased greenhouse emissions from those cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even Mannix not having a go - seems completely at odds to the opposition to the Strand Road initiative.
    Effects wrote: »
    Where's Labre34 when you need him to complain about something?
    Down the four courts?

• Advertisement

Maybe there are no objections because the STC committee members favourite burger joint is located there, and it’s much better to have a fresh burger than transport it home for eating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dear lord, coming out of the NCT centre in Deansgrange this morning. They have those wanded off bike lanes. As I came out the junction, all was lovely, I stopped as a mother and two kids rolled through, cars were being nice realising no one was losing anything by leaving yellow boxes clear etc. In fact having often been around there at that time, at this time of year, traffic was smooth and consistent compared to a few years ago. Then when I got a clear space to come out, what do I see except a f*cking Nissan Micra in the bike lane, inside the wands, skipping traffic. Of course he probably does this daily but the shear b*llixology of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear lord, coming out of the NCT centre in Deansgrange this morning. They have those wanded off bike lanes. As I came out the junction, all was lovely, I stopped as a mother and two kids rolled through, cars were being nice realising no one was losing anything by leaving yellow boxes clear etc. In fact having often been around there at that time, at this time of year, traffic was smooth and consistent compared to a few years ago. Then when I got a clear space to come out, what do I see except a f*cking Nissan Micra in the bike lane, inside the wands, skipping traffic. Of course he probably does this daily but the shear b*llixology of it all.

Inside the wands!?

I generally try to avoid conflict on the road, life's too short, but in that case I'd have been tempted to block the lane and make them reverse out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

loyatemu wrote: »
    Inside the wands!?

I generally try to avoid conflict on the road, life's too short, but in that case I'd have been tempted to block the lane and make them reverse out!

They were turning in where I was coming out, and regrettably as I was driving, it would have been more dangerous to stop or attempt to block. I was also acutely aware it was school time so not the time to try anything outside the predictable. If I was on my bike I would have had my camera and would have dropped it into Cabinteely Garda station on the way to work. The looks of disgust from the cars on the main road said it all but Johnny "not two f*cks given" Smith didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

That junctions fecked, theres a tender in to upgrade the cycle infrastructure through it at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Presume the folks in Sandymount have no objection to this.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/sandymount-village-partly-pedestrianised-outdoor-20823115

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bazermc wrote: »

And no objection to this, presumeably? [Turn up the volume]

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1404580888080420865

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

had a nice little cycle from Sandymount to Killiney with a couple of guys from work, have to say quite pleasant and a decent little hill near the end. Signposting needs to be improved through, the other 2 would have completely missed the Booterstown park section.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Rumour has it that DLR councillors voted by a small margin in favour of the active travel proposal to make Deansgrange road one way southbound past the cemetery on a trial basis to install a 2 way cycleway. . I cant find anything on the the council website. Just saw it on one of the residents WhatsApp groups so not sure how accurate it is or whether it will let the trial go ahead if true

edit.
    Slight correction. looks like a motion was put forward to request the chief executive to ensure 2 way traffic was maintained along Deansgrange road. The motion was defeated so I guess good news for the potential cycleway.

See attached screenshot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

CramCycle wrote: »

I live around the corner from that, and tbh i've seen bigger cars use the bike lane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You mean two wheels in the bike lane and two wheels on the pavement? There's hardly room there to squeeze a car inside the wands?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You mean two wheels in the bike lane and two wheels on the pavement? There's hardly room there to squeeze a car inside the wands?

Yeah I'm confused by that as well. I can't see how you would get a car inside there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It narrows down at the nct centre, seen a Mondeo in it about 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ARX

It narrows down at the nct centre, seen a Mondeo in it about 3 weeks ago
    I'll see your Mondeo and raise you a 7.5 tonne flatbed lorry in the Blackrock contra-flow cycle lane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Rumour has it that DLR councillors voted by a small margin in favour of the active travel proposal to make Deansgrange road one way southbound past the cemetery on a trial basis to install a 2 way cycleway. . I cant find anything on the the council website. Just saw it on one of the residents WhatsApp groups so not sure how accurate it is or whether it will let the trial go ahead if true

edit.
    Slight correction. looks like a motion was put forward to request the chief executive to ensure 2 way traffic was maintained along Deansgrange road. The motion was defeated so I guess good news for the potential cycleway.

See attached screenshot
    One name missing from the 'voted for' list on that screenshot. Would be good to know who to say thanks to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ARX wrote: »
    I'll see your Mondeo and raise you a 7.5 tonne flatbed lorry in the Blackrock contra-flow cycle lane :pac:

I've seen bin lorries use that one in the past as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Effects wrote: »
    I've seen bin lorries use that one in the past as well.

Has anyone seen the gardaí stop anyone doing that? It sounds pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ARX

Heraclius wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the gardaí stop anyone doing that? It sounds pretty shocking.
    Let's just say that 'An Garda Síochána' means 'Guardian of the Peace', not 'Guardian of the Law'.

ARX wrote: »
    Let's just say that 'An Garda Síochána' means 'Guardian of the Peace', not 'Guardian of the Law'.

Haha. I feel behaviour like that really deserves a crackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

Heraclius wrote: »
    Haha. I feel behaviour like that really deserves a crackdown.

You have to understand that when they park on the cycle lane, they're doing their best as fine, upstanding citizens to keep the traffic flowing. This is the priority for AGS so they don't and won't see any problem with it. In fact, they should be commended. Imagine if they parked outside the cycle lane and a motorist had to cross the centre-line to overtake them!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

One name missing from the 'voted for' list on that screenshot. Would be good to know who to say thanks to.

I think the "voted against" are the people we need to thank. There are 10 names on there??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thread on how Dublin Bay South candidates stand on Strand Road trial: https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1407752108019965959?s=21

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bill Badbody is gold. Some people probably nodding their heads in agreement

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    You have to understand that when they park on the cycle lane, they're doing their best as fine, upstanding citizens to keep the traffic flowing. This is the priority for AGS so they don't and won't see any problem with it. In fact, they should be commended. Imagine if they parked outside the cycle lane and a motorist had to cross the centre-line to overtake them!?

Heaven forfend! Sadly you're probably right. I hope over time attitudes change though. People accepted seatbelts and eventually drink driving became less acceptable.

Advertisement