Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Lost in thought, working out how to get the boots of the middle class off the necks of the stout-hearted working-class residents of coastal Sandymount

https://twitter.com/Database2000/status/1407737997357989894

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

Yes, not a woman nor a child has been seen on the Blackrock-Sandycove path.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ARX wrote: »
    Yes, not a woman nor a child has been seen on the Blackrock-Sandycove path.
    Or both upper and lower class men

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How do I know what class I fit into?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're posting on this forum, you're clearly middle class. going by mannix flynn's logic, this is a trivial conclusion.

• Advertisement

How do I know what class I fit into?

If you support something Mannix Flynn opposes, you are middle class. I think that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If you are a working/middle class man or woman aged under 26 you're unlikely to able to afford a car and therefore rely more heavily on a bicycle. It costs 3 to 5 grand for a first time driver to get insurance.

Not sure what a middle class person is anymore since the middle classes can no longer afford to house themselves.

I seem to remember that people who habitually cycle are on average more likely to be middle class than people who habitually drive or habitually use public transport, and this was explained by middle class people being less encumbered by the fear of looking "poor". I can't remember where I saw it now though.

The prevalence of men in everyday cycling seems to be down to the road environment being "challenging", so if anything infrastructure such as that which Flynn is opposing is to do with increasing female participation in everyday cycling.

Certainly, the bits of Dublin I know that have had kerbs and wands added or been closed to through-traffic seem to have larger variety of cyclists now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's a classic case of criticising the idea for the very thing it's designed to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's mad how they have convinced everyone only the elites cycle to work and the hard pressed working poor are the ones driving cars. There are so many who drive that could live without a car but they still allow themselves to be crippled financially by them, plenty of people I know anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

if you're posting on this forum, you're clearly middle class. going by mannix flynn's logic, this is a trivial conclusion.

And we're all men I presume? Certain posters will not be pleased!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd be interested in the next census, to know, if it records it, how many women are now cycling because to my entirely anecdotal experience, there has been something of an explosion in women cycling.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd be interested in the next census, to know, if it records it, how many women are now cycling because to my entirely anecdotal experience, there has been something of an explosion in women cycling.

Yes I agree with this, around where I live I swear I see more women than men cycling these days. I think it is becoming almost trendy for women, in a good way, so hopefully it keeps up.

buffalo wrote: »
    not just Mamils now, we're McMamils.

buffalo wrote: »

Good point, has a woman ever posted in the cycling forum?! It's probably 90% men on this whole site anyway.

Good point, has a woman ever posted in the cycling forum?! It's probably 90% men on this whole site anyway.

As long as we don't let a woman become a mod... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I seem to remember that people who habitually cycle are on average more likely to be middle class than people who habitually drive or habitually use public transport, and this was explained by middle class people being less encumbered by the fear of looking "poor". I can't remember where I saw it now though.
    If you want to find a 1990 Toyota Corolla you should start looking in Monkstown or Dalkey. There's a lot of modest old cars parked around the most exclusive addresses in south county Dublin. I guess when your house is worth €3 million you're not concerned that people might think you're too poor to buy a new car.

i went to a private school, and the people you knew were rich were the ones in the middle of the scale. the chap whose father was (is) eye wateringly rich, i did not know this until third year i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is also evidence that, far from just being a six-month trial, it is intended the cycleway should remain in place permanently if deemed successful by Dublin City Council, Neil Steen SC said.

:confused:

eh....obviously?

Some real chestnuts being argued. You'd swear this was GoD and Mr Waters

Podge_irl wrote: »

eh....obviously?

The apparent lack of understand of words in the English language from Carvills and Flynn’s SC has me seriously worried about the state of the legal profession in Ireland.

Podge_irl wrote: »

eh....obviously?

"If this turns out to be good, then they'll do it again, the monsters!"

I suppose the "deemed a success by Dublin City Council" is the sticking point. Maybe get the ECJ in to adjudicate?

the European Cycling Jerkwads?

I suspect they're middle class. Not going to let them get their (possibly cleated) boots on the neck of Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I think the "voted against" are the people we need to thank. There are 10 names on there??

My mistake x 2

• Advertisement

How much longer will they be in the courts until a decision is known?

Advertisement