Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

How much longer will they be in the courts until a decision is known?

Probably a few months. The judge should give a rough estimate after the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Peregrine wrote: »
    Probably a few months. The judge should give a rough estimate after the hearing.

I have no legal expertise at all, but I thought this hearing was to see whether DCC exceeded its authority in trying to start the trial? There isn't any need for months of delay, I assumed from that. Either they did, and the trial is substanatially changed or dropped, or they didn't and it goes ahead.

The hearing only had two days set aside for it, so I suppose it's already exceeded that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I have no legal expertise at all, but I thought this hearing was to see whether DCC exceeded its authority in trying to start the trial? There isn't any need for months of delay, I assumed from that. Either they did, and the trial is substanatially changed or dropped, or they didn't and it goes ahead.

The hearing only had two days set aside for it, so I suppose it's already exceeded that.

The hearing was only two days, but the judge is in no rush. He can take many weeks reviewing the evidence

It isn't unreasonable to assume the delay was the primary reason for taking this action!

The hearings are for each party to present their case but all evidence will already have been presented in written form at this stage. The judge can give an oral judgement after the hearing but I think it's more common to give written judgements addressing each of the parties' arguments in judicial review cases.

The hearing continues at 2pm today. It should be the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So we have the hearing concluding today, and then it can take months for a decision is that right?

So we have the hearing concluding today, and then it can take months for a decision is that right?

I believe so, yes.

I think the judge should give an approximate date for a written judgement. Like, say, 'October' before giving a more specific date later.

Ok, I can't argue with any of the above as, as I said, it's not remotely one of my areas of competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The possibility of over a year of half finished work to be given the eventual nod to proceed for a trial following it is such a collosal waste of time and effort.

Ok, I can't argue with any of the above as, as I said, it's not remotely one of my areas of competence.

I'm only basing it off following previous judicial reviews. Not an expert in any sense.

Who knows? We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Instead of calling for an "off the road cycle path" that would give everyone what they want at no cost / loss of space to motorists they should call for an "in the sky cycle track" which would also give cyclists the infrastructure they need without any cost to drivers, and would have the added bonus of giving the cyclists a nice view over the bay while they cycle along.

Maybe they could also call for it to operate as a travelator so that it could be more open to people who are too tired to pedal into the wind/uphill. And it should be invisible so it doesn't detract from anyone else view of the bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

FF in talking-out-of-both-sides-of-their-mouth shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    FF in talking-out-of-both-sides-of-their-mouth shocker.

Why is a local Councillor setting out the position on an important policy issue, rather than the candidate herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's the problem with just putting in the trial cycle path, and have it in place, until the magical path that most of the candidates are talking about gets built?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Effects wrote: »
    What's the problem with just putting in the trial cycle path, and have it in place, until the magical path that most of the candidates are talking about gets built?

Because Road Tax- basically. FF pandering to the Road Tax wallies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why is a local Councillor setting out the position on an important policy issue, rather than the candidate herself?
    Maybe because the candidate has already been found out to be anti-public transport given her BusConnects stance but also her public attack on Kevin Carter from IrishCycle.com
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/06/14/attack-on-public-transport-campaigner-a-step-too-far-in-war-on-busconnects/

Because Road Tax- basically. FF pandering to the Road Tax wallies.

How much is road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How much is road tax?

It's generally based on the size of your engine, measured in CC.

How much is road tax?

All relevant information can be found here:
    https://roadtax.ie/

https://twitter.com/BillBadbody/status/1410598763052236811
    Join me now at Herbert Place as I begin my lie down protest against the cycling madness. We need to reclaim the streets of #DublinBaySouth for cars. Resist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

wallies.

I'm going to have to use this term more often, gave me a right chuckle.

Some good proposals here, including protecting high rents, banning cyclists from Dublin city and dedicated SUV lanes.

https://twitter.com/BillBadbody/status/1412045702423891973

More common sense here. Lot of good stuff today.
    https://twitter.com/aaroadwash/status/1411800861383315457

Aside about the likely day of judgement on the trial suspension in this piece:
    it is expected to take at least 4-6 weeks before the judgement is issued in the case against the Strand Road trial.

https://irishcycle.com/2021/07/05/work-on-two-way-cycle-path-on-sean-moore-road-gets-underway-today/

The Sean Moore Road scheme will lead to Strand Road; hence the aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The Sean Moore Road scheme will lead to Strand Road; hence the aside.

Surprisingly, "de locals" are up in arms about this. One of the points of concern seems to be that old people will need to look both ways before driving out of the side road. That must not be a current requirement.

"I, or some group I generally don't care about much in other scenarios, will have to take slightly more care not to injure others because they suddenly feel themselves at liberty to exist in public spaces. Down with this sort of thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Goatstown Road they were stripping out the grade separation yesterday - I assume it's for road works, but still a little disappointing to see.

They did that lower down the hill on that road, near the school, when there were works on the water infrastructure, and they still haven't replaced the kerbs, and I suspect they're not going to.

• Advertisement

Seems to be Irish Water contractors again
    https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1412024168099495938

Advertisement