Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So the HGV situation you kept mentioning is a red herring. Well done on the goalpost move again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There isn't a truck "problem". HGVs are not allowed on Strand Rd.

The only "problem" is Owen Keegan's hair-brained plan to close the road northbound to all traffic, without consideration of the consequences to anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a difference between not considering the consequences and deciding the consequences are worth it. No one here, and I suspect not Keegan, thinks there will be zero impact.

Light goods vehicles have the same privileges as private motor vehicles. They are even allowed in the right most lane of motorways. What is your fixation on them for and seeing you have replaced HGV’s with them, why do they all want to go to visit the East Link bridge?

• Advertisement

Read the last page or two of the thread and you’ll see. Also read the previous 70, so you don’t keep rehashing the same arguments you did before. They were all addressed.

Maybe learn the difference between HGVs and commercial trucks.

What was the alternative route in Paris, people keep mentioning this and going, oh look we can be Parisian.

The cars must have had an alternative route, if not all the local roads would have taken the traffic.

The coastal route in Dunlaoghaire has led to congestion on local roads, the cars that cant drive down Seapoint Avenue are now on Monkstown Road.

People will just stop driving to Dunlaoghaire so the cycling lobby will say thats good, less traffic.

Dunlaoghaire though will fail as a retail destination as people who drive spend more money than those on bikes, its already in terminal decline, maybe this doesnt really matter as there is plenty of other shopping centres within a few km

Drivers don't spend more money than people who arrive by walking/public transport/bikes.

Drivers spend a lot more money.

You will fill bags if you have a car to dump stuff in.

If you walking or cycling you will not carry bags, most of the cyclists, including me who use the Seapoint cycle lane do it for a bit of exercise on a nice day, its empty when its raining, we never go near the town.

I used to drive to Dunlaoghaire, park and spend quite a bit, dont go near it now except for a walk or a cycle, I might buy a Teddys ice cream but thats it.

As I said does it really matter, there are plenty of shops in Stillorgan etc and far too many neglected empty units in Dunlaoghaire, many of these units should be reconfigured for housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

There was no alternative route. But once the quays were safe to cycle, large numbers of Parisians ditched the car and cycled instead - not for every journey, but for a lot of their journeys. Women especially took to the bike.

In relation to drivers vs cyclists as shoppers, drivers spend more money on one trip, but cyclists stop and shop a lot more, spending more cumulatively. Gentrification and retail profit as a result of cycling infrastructure is a well-known effect.

Has this happened in Dunlaoghaire, have the retailers said they are busier.

I know none of my friends or neighbours go to Dunlaoghaire now except to walk on the pier or cycle to the Forty Foot, there is too much easier access elsewhere.

I dont believe for one minute that taking cars off half of Strand Road will get anyone cycling except maybe on a sunny day, its going to cause mayhem as far back as Dalkey as all those cars who would have turned onto strand road will now be on the Merrion Road.

The Dart andbuses are already overloaded and this was pre covid, if full capacity on Darts and buses isnt back by return to school time then people are going to be driving from as far as Greystones to drop their children to school in south dublin.

Anyone who is arguing traffic will disappear are not living in Sandymount or other suburbs nearby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Actually if you bothered looking At the plentiful research on this topic you'd find the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Every area is different but its pretty obvious to me the new cycle lane in Dunlaoghaire hasnt brought extra business to the town.

The shops selling ice cream and take out coffees were booming while we were stuck in 5km.

Come September there will be no one on that cycle lane during the week and very few in cold weather.

Those with cars will be in Dundrum , stillorgan, Nutgrove and Liffey Valley.

I cant even see the cinema surviving and the old shopping centre should be put out of its misery.

And I say this as someone who does cycle the Coastal Mobility Route, Im bored with it now though, only so many times you can cycle somewhere only to turn around and cycle the same route back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would you like me to post that video of the busy cycle lane from last February again?

You wouldn't have to cycle back if they let strand road go ahead and connected them as was the overarching plan

Strand Road isnt happening, its time to forget about it now and look for a practical solution.

Its not a pleasant place to cycle from October to April, no shelter, no protection from the wind. It would not attract hundreds of cyclists so a more limited cycle path inside the sea wall would suffice.

So pointless antagonising local communities with madcap ideas driven by a minority and proceeded with in spite of local politicans opposing these plans.

Local politicans are there to work for their communities and officials should not have the power to disregard those elected through the fairest system we have.

Deansgrange Road is the next battleground, the politicans are mostly opposing this too, residents are organising massive resistance, more waste of time and energy and more legal fees.

Meanwhile the cycle lanes inwards and outwards on the N11 are in dire condition as is the cycle track from Stillorgsn to Carysfort Ave, has been in same condition for years. The lane from Donnybrook to Ranelagh is desperate too, why not spend money improving what we have, wont get as good photo ops for public officials though.!!!

Except mannix isn't the local politician.

There was loads of local support too. It's not a pleasant place to cycle?? Well that's nothing to do with shelter. You're making stuff up that you can't back

If that was a problem, then the Dutch would've given up before they began, it's a wetter and windier country.

1000s use the route for commuting , many more would use it too once they saw a viable alternative. You're repeating the same nonsense claims that have been found to be far from the truth when suhc infrastructure is brought in elsewhere

You keep stating lies about deansgrange too. Yes there's vocal opposition, but theres also a lot of support too

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Curious to know what’s the lie about Deansgrange ?

• Advertisement

I lived on Strand Road. It was bitterly cold during the Winter months. It's not a pleasant place to cycle.

The regulars in this sub-forum are not living in reality. Any uncomfortable truths presented by those with experience of the area are instantly rejected.

You'd be cycling on it what 5-10 mins of a longer commute though? Winter is cold, you dress for the weather. Cycling itself will warm you.

It's among the dumbest of all the arguments that has been presented. All over the world people cycle in colder conditions than you'll get on strand road, unless it has a microclimate we really don't get anywhere else.

Clontarf cycleway is just as exposed and used year round.

Its not pleasant to sit stuck in traffic driving, but lots of people do it anyway.

People cycle in winter.

In that the support for the plan which does exist is purposefully omitted from every post they make on the matter.

That said, strand road had more support

You are forcing an aging population (and the population in D4 is certainly of an older profile) to get on bikes in the depths of winter? Have you no humanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

TBF omissions as you call them are not ‘lies’

No one is being forced into anything?

I take back my dumb argument post, as this is even worse.

They can take the couple hundred metres route in their car. And do you know what, it'd be safer, as they don't have to cross oncoming traffic lane either

D4 is a mixed bag. It's also full of families. I've worked in the area, in a heavily community based job so am aware of the age profile. Yup loads of older people, but also an ever increasing amount of younger families.

Those terriblly old shellybanks ets kids now have a dangerous cycle to contend with

Omissions are not, but framing them in the way he keeps doing is essentially the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Car users don't spend more than other people. I'll find the link.

Bit about DL I saw the other day. I haven't heard anyone complain about the changes since about a year ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1421611626269224961

Advertisement