Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Regardless of the outcome of this court case, it has never been up to STC and local residents as to whether or not they will "tolerate" the diverted traffic. They are not their roads.

Local residents complain about almost every change in road layout suggested. They should be listened to as one stakeholder but that is it

When you commit to accusing a poster of being dumb you need to either back down or double down. You've obviosuly chosen to double down because there are no consequences to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Oh god. Tearing up cycling infrastructure would really turn us into an international outlier. What can realistically be done to stop this from happening? Are DCC definitely appealing the recent decision? Can legislative change protect cycling and walking improvements? I honestly find this so depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Page 3 and page 15 of High Court Judgement

Page 13 of NTA/ERM Traffic Analysis Report,

Page 18 of Final Report on Strand Road Public Consultation

In fact in Justice Meenan judgement he posited - again on pg 15 of judgement that in fact the figure of 114% increase on northbound traffic may possibly be a higher figure given the new right hand turn from Strand Road onto Merrion Road.

I have no doubt NTA/DCC did not include traffic from this new turning and that Justice Meenan is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If escooters are strewn all over streets it's because good parking isn't provided from them.

All this elderly stuff; I should mention that I'm a pensioner, for fair disclosure. Thanks for wanting to defend me from the scary bicycles, but I feel safer and healthier where there's good cycling infrastructure and I can use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I am fairly confident that the Strand Rd plan will be thrown out, be it by the courts, the outrage of local residents or by political intervention. It is simply too daft, disruptive and disproportionate to be tolerated.

It remains to be seen if Keegan survives the humiliation. At a minimum, I expect to see more oversight and restrictions being imposed on local Councils and ego driven CEOs.

Hopefully that will be the end of it and we can get back to balanced and properly thought through ways to cater for all road users, including cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

"Elderly people" are cyclists too.

My mother (who you would probably consider elderly) cycles regularly......after having a hip replacement maybe about 6 yrs ago.

I intend to cycle forever and am hopeful that there will eventually be safe cycling infrastructure in Dublin to support me in this aim.

What have you got against older people that you want to get us off our bikes??

I wish you good health in to your advanced years although it is unfortunately no certainty. High Health Insurance premiums are a testament to this.

By balanced you mean no investment in cycling infrastructure or at most painting a line over some potholes and then allowing range rovers to park in it I assume?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I called the posts dumb and explained why the posts are so.

There are other posters in here I disagree with, chiefly Larbre34, but their points at least are grounded in some form of sense and are wholly relevant to the while issue. Yours are not really.

I could argue, why are there cars on strand road. It makes it hard for elderly to cross the road to go for a nice walk that would help them keep active, bone health etc. It would show a concern for them, but it's a mostly hollow and nonsense point for this issue.

You're language, rabid, fanatic etc is showing where you're coming from. It's not a concern at all, you just don't appear to like people who want to cycle. Fair enough, but be honest about it, and stop dressing up objections in nonsense concerns

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand the Scooter hire model if you think that parking slots are provided for them. They are left anywhere. It was initially the case that they were collected, charged and redistributed overnight to maximise utility. Those older model scooters have now been replaced and they now just find them, swap battery and leave them where ever they were. I can see the cost saving for the operator who previously had to scour the city with a van and trailer. It is now perfect gig-economy work where not even a van and trailer are needed.

Then what cycling infrastructure is acceptable to you?

I use bikes(both my own which is standing less than 2 metres from me and shared bike service which is available from an app on my phone) but I am aware that a shared resource such as a road can't be monopolised by one form of transport. That is what is being proposed here; if you wish to travel in one direction then you must use a bike and that means that effectively travel in both directions is prevented for others as most people wish to return to where they come from without great hindrance.

There are a number of interested parties here. There are those passing through who have a legitmate interest. There are residents, There are motorists. There are pedestrians. There are cyclists. There are residents who are motorists, cyclists and pedestians all combined and the only people being entertained on this thread are the subset of fanatic cyclists who bear a deep animosity to anyone who speaks up against their attempt to grab preferential access to a shared resource to the exclusion of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

".....we can back to balanced and properly thought through ways to cater for all road users...."

We can't go back to something that never existed.

Thanks for the good wishes, I reckon I am doing good things for my future health and well being by staying on my bike as long as I can in to the future on safe protected cycle lanes (I hope).

I ask you again, as you did not respond to my previous question, what have you got against older people that you want to get us off our bikes??

The Clontarf cycle lane is off road and it didnt involve closing off half of the road to Howth.

Clontarf is a lovely location with a variety of business on the seafront.

There is nothing on the seafront in Sandymount, I dont think there is even a chip shop.It wont attract new cyclists or families as when families head to a beach they load the car. Parents will not bring their children cycling on the Merrion Road to a cycle lane in Sandymount, you do not have the right to put your children on bikes in dangerous situations, there are plenty of other safe outdoor activities you can drive or take public transport to.

It

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did the council have to apply for planning permission in relation to the five axle ban?

Infrastructure that allows both cyclists and motor vehicles to go about their business and leisure, without treating it as a zero sum exercise.

That might take planning, time and some money but it is what good public administration involves.

• Advertisement

I have nothing against the elderly. I hope to be one. I live in a very mature neighbourhood where there are few young families and it is somewhat similar to Sandymount except considerably more salubrious. As family members and relatives age it is clear to me that health fails and cycling is simply not an option. Those known to me would be confined to home without the benefit of their own private transport which happens to be a car.

We've been through a year when the liberties of the majority of society were restricted considerably to ensure the welfare of the aged yet fanatic cyclists don't care a jot about effectively turning these people in to prisoners in their own homes.

Do you want me to start talking about the multitude of options available here for overlanding for ramblers and cyclists that you could barely believe exist and leave the average Irish person speechless.

It is possible for cyclists and ramblers to travel the length and breadth of the country without being told by Farmers that they have no right to roam and there are closed asphalt roads up in the forest above me which are better paved than of the local roads back in Dublin.

Freight trucks, Motorcycles, tricycles and even Agricultural vehicles(higher gearing to make legal) can use the motorways here.

Wait til you hear about the number of other roads in the country...

There are multitudes of roads that prioritise or prohibit certain modes of transport from bus lanes to contraflow cycle lanes. By far the most money is spent on motorways of course. For all the war on drivers they are still, by far, the most catered for.

You seem to have a lot of concern for "the elderly" people which is laudible. I wish you could be as concerned for other sectors of society and age groups.....you could show your concern for these groups by lobbying for safe cycle paths for all. Safe cycle paths for all would also of course benefit the elderly as bikes can be used as mobility aids if necessary and of course cycling is an activity that can keep us all in good shape and better health as we age.

There's a limited amount of space in a lot of the city so it is hard to avoid a zero sum situation. Could you outline any measure that helps cyclists that you would accept?

I don't need to lobby for anything here. The local municipality has shown themselves to be competent, progressive and reasonable in their approach to traffic management. Maybe if I was in a mood to lobby I'd lobby about the e-scooters for hire which are becoming a menance even when not in use but the local municipality has given the operators rope with which to hang themselves and will address the topic if need be.

You do know that active travel would help to offset some of the issues encountered with getting old.

There's a plethora of studies showing the benefits. Our over reliance on automobiles have lead us down a path to which we find people are not as strong or as mobile as they could be.

My 84 yo MiL walked everywhere. My 80 of year old uncle was hillwalking in Wicklow and howth right up until his Alzheimer's got bad enough that he didn't want to risk getting lost.

Your talking about elderly people as if there invalids, but in my experience they're the most open to change and experiencing new things. A lot of them will recall a life not dominated by cars, when kids could safely play on roads, getting from a to b wasn't seen as some massive task with obstacles etc.

Cycle lanes help on roads used by cars and trucks.

The city centre can include pedestrian/cyclist only areas without much inconvenience to anyone.

• Advertisement

My 84 year old (none of your business) can't walk or cycle distances despite having lived a very active life well in to old age.

Advertisement