Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home printer

Options
  • 05-11-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

With our new world of working from home, I'm finding the very occasional need for a printer.

I threw out my last Epson printer because I seemed to have the choice of either
      paying complete rip-off prices for official Epson ink cartridges, or else
      buying generic ones which then jammed the printer.
    And because I didn't really need it when I could print out the odd item at work:-)

Has anybody found a way out of this conundrum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your printer costs €99 then you're about to be bent over a barrel for ink. Spend a lot more on the printer, less on the ink. CISS units are what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you need colour?

If not, buy a Brother laser. Laser toner doesn't dry up, any PCL printer will work on any operating system ever and will continue to do so, and Brother have the cheapest PCL printers with cheap toner.

Inkjets are only suitable for frequent use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

L1011 wrote: »
    Do you need colour?

If not, buy a Brother laser. Laser toner doesn't dry up, any PCL printer will work on any operating system ever and will continue to do so, and Brother have the cheapest PCL printers with cheap toner.

Inkjets are only suitable for frequent use.

Excellent advice.

They last forever, and not fussy about generic toner.

My Brother wireless laser must be 8 or 9 years old now.

Replaced the toner twice and the drum once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

+1 For the laser printer, even if you need a colour one you're still better on price per page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Anyone know which model would be best for the brother one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Faze11 wrote: »
    Anyone know which model would be best for the brother one?
    If mono only then the HL-1110 is a good choice, can be got for around €70, but seem to be sold out in many places. A generic 1200 page toner can be got for around €40, but the supplied toner will last for around 700 pages. If colour then you're looking at around €175 but again stocks seem to be very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cordell wrote: »
    +1 For the laser printer, even if you need a colour one you're still better on price per page.
    It's not just that, if you use an inkjet printer too infrequently, the ink dries out in the heads meaning the printer goes through an excessive number of head cleaning cycles, wasting ink in the process, and you don't get anywhere near the advertised number of pages per cartridge. Laser printers don't suffer from this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, that's true.
    Laser is much more affordable these days, inkjet is small size (a colour laser is quite large compared) and cheap initial price. Long term, laser is much better.

Advertisement