Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB monthly fees and negative balance

• 05-11-2020 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have a PTSB current account that I will no longer use. This account is accumulating a negative balance due to the €6 monthly fee that they charge.

Is there any issue with leaving that thing go negative forever or should I cancel the account?

I just read on their website that to cancel the account you have to drop into my local branch, which is something I would like to avoid.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

heritz wrote: »
    I have a PTSB current account that I will no longer use. This account is accumulating a negative balance due to the €6 monthly fee that they charge.

Is there any issue with leaving that thing go negative forever or should I cancel the account?

I just read on their website that to cancel the account you have to drop into my local branch, which is something I would like to avoid.

There is probably no immediate issue, you can leave it until after the lockdown. But if it were ever to reach €500, the bank is required to reported on your credit report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You should take steps to close it. You will be responsible for the monthly fee regardless of whether you are actively using the account and they may come after you for it in the future.
    Why go there - get it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 heritz

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is probably no immediate issue, you can leave it until after the lockdown. But if it were ever to reach €500, the bank is required to reported on your credit report.

This is the sort of stuff I wanted to know. Better just close the account then. I'll ring them and try to get this sorted.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Just post them a letter quoting your account number and ask them to close it and be sure to keep a copy as proof when they say they didn't receive it.

Advertisement