Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Laptop charge included in warranty

Options
  • 05-11-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I purchased a laptop 6 months ago and it stopped working. I returned it to the local shop and they checked it over and told me the laptop is fine. The problem is with the charger. They suggested I purchase a new universal charger as the original charger that came with the laptop is not covered under warranty.

Is this true, the laptop is covered but the charger isn't ? I find it hard to believe....

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

As far as I know, batteries, chargers and hard drives aren't covered in the warranty of laptops. Not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They're seen as a consumable afaik and not covered by the same "warranty" - I think they generally get 3 months. Although any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, I'm not really sure how you'd go about or even if it's worth (most definitely not) making a claim for a charger. Sorry OP, I think your best pay out for a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Thanks guys,

That's interesting. I just went on the manufactures site (Lenovo) and if i purchase a charger directly from them, its covered with a 12 month warranty..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lenovo's support is fairly decent so I'd contact them direct - easier than fighting the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Send an email telling them under the sale of goods supply of services act the product should be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose intended. This act protects you for up to three years or maybe even longer, I can't remember offhand. They should give you a replacement that works.

The warranty can only offer additional cover, not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Absolutely nuts in my opinion that a charger can stop working in 6 months and its not covered. Obviously my opinion is not law.

Like how does it work:
    If its part of the device (PC power supply) it is surely covered, but if they stick it in a little box outside of the device it suddenly isn't anymore?

Apple don't provide chargers with their phone anymore since everyone has so many of them (apparently), doesn't sound very consumable to me.

I think this could be challenged in the small claims court, but the the issue is it's probably not worth it other than sticking it to the shop as the a replacement wouldn't cost much more than the E25 SCC fee. No guarantee you'd win either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

DOn't be tempted to but a cheap knock off either. They can be a serious fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Personally I wouldn't take that from the shop. Unless there is signs of damage to the cable there is no reason the charger should just stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn’t matter what the warranty is, your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer.
    This is covered by your consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cml387 wrote: »
    DOn't be tempted to but a cheap knock off either. They can be a serious fire hazard.

As well as that I’ve seen in the past a generic charger cause damage to Lenovo laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And you can be sure your warranty would be invalidated if there was an issue that could be traced back to using a non standard charger....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I purchased a laptop 6 months ago and it stopped working. I returned it to the local shop and they checked it over and told me the laptop is fine. The problem is with the charger. They suggested I purchase a new universal charger as the original charger that came with the laptop is not covered under warranty.

Is this true, the laptop is covered but the charger isn't ? I find it hard to believe....

Thanks in advance

Do not purchase a new generic charger, in fact do not purchase any charger. Bring it back to the shop and ask directly for it to be replaced for an oem manufacturer new charger. If not go straight to small claim - 25€, an oem charger could be 60€ plus. They have to replace it under sale of goods legislation. The laptop will not work without it and its a fundamental part of it. Its a power supply, just because its external does not mean its not part of the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The charger is covered but after six months the onus is on you to show the item had an inherent fault so it's not really worth pursuing. Try dealing directly with the manufacturer.

The charger is covered but after six months the onus is on you to show the item had an inherent fault so it's not really worth pursuing. Try dealing directly with the manufacturer.

Sorry but not correct, there is nothing in the sale of goods act to note this "six months" or onus on showing inherent fault. The six months you mention is stated in the sale of goods act as if a fault occurs within 6 months it is considered to have been there on delivery!

The sale of goods act works up to six years but is constrained by what would be considered "reasonable" for that product. Six months is not reasonable for the power supply of a laptop to go wrong in. If the shop can show that its been abused by dropping etc. then they could refuse however if not the shop must provide one of the 3 R's, repair, replace or refund. Its up to the shop to choose but if they choose repair it must be a permanent repair.

As its a power supply it would be easier to just replace. Again i would look for original equipment to ensure the laptop would not be damaged. Item doesnt work at present and op has not mentioned any damage to it by them so it would be pretty cut and dry that the shop has to fix the issue. If it needs to go to small claims so be it but they are trying to fob them off at present.

Sorry but not correct, there is nothing in the sale of goods act to note this "six months" or onus on showing inherent fault. The six months you mention is stated in the sale of goods act as if a fault occurs within 6 months it is considered to have been there on delivery!

The sale of goods act works up to six years but is constrained by what would be considered "reasonable" for that product. Six months is not reasonable for the power supply of a laptop to go wrong in. If the shop can show that its been abused by dropping etc. then they could refuse however if not the shop must provide one of the 3 R's, repair, replace or refund. Its up to the shop to choose but if they choose repair it must be a permanent repair.

As its a power supply it would be easier to just replace. Again i would look for original equipment to ensure the laptop would not be damaged. Item doesnt work at present and op has not mentioned any damage to it by them so it would be pretty cut and dry that the shop has to fix the issue. If it needs to go to small claims so be it but they are trying to fob them off at present.

The Sales of Goods Acts are not the only source of consumer law.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/11/made/en/print

Furthermore there is a duty to interpret domestic law in line with EU directives, notwithstanding if they are properly transposed.

Also a nitpick the six years is not from the sales of goods Acts but from the statute of limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 warrensworld2

Do yourself a favour and come Monday morning call the CCPC on 014025555 they will tell you exactly were you stand straight away.
    This is why they exist and I couldnt praise them enough.

Competition and consumer protection commission.

The Sales of Goods Acts are not the only source of consumer law.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/11/made/en/print

Furthermore there is a duty to interpret domestic law in line with EU directives, notwithstanding if they are properly transposed.

Also a nitpick the six years is not from the sales of goods Acts but from the statute of limitations.

I'm aware that the six years comes from the statute of limitations, it allows the sale of goods act be applicable up to six years.

I note your link and post section 3 below on the relationship between regulations and consumer protection enactments. Essentially the sale of goods act has greater protections and the irish government has applied the eu directive as an addition to it and not a substitution.

3. (1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), these Regulations are in addition to, and not in substitution for, any other enactment relating to the sale of goods or the terms of contracts concluded with consumers, and in particular —
    (a) the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Acts 1893 and 1980,
    and
    (b) the European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1995 ( S.I. No. 27 of 1995 ).

In a nutshell the sale of goods act is fully applicable and is in addition to other legislation.

I'm aware that the six years comes from the statute of limitations, it allows the sale of goods act be applicable up to six years.

I note your link and post section 3 below on the relationship between regulations and consumer protection enactments. Essentially the sale of goods act has greater protections and the irish government has applied the eu directive as an addition to it and not a substitution.

3. (1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), these Regulations are in addition to, and not in substitution for, any other enactment relating to the sale of goods or the terms of contracts concluded with consumers, and in particular —
    (a) the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Acts 1893 and 1980,
    and
    (b) the European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1995 ( S.I. No. 27 of 1995 ).

In a nutshell the sale of goods act is fully applicable and is in addition to other legislation.

But must be interpreted in accordance with the directive hence why the six month assumption has come in.

Edit along with a two year minimum warranty period.

Advertisement