Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España 2020 | Stage 15 | Mos - Puebla de Sanabria (230.8 km)

Options
  • 05-11-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭

Today's stage is the longest stage in the Vuelta this year at a whopping 230 km, and is the 11th longest stage this season! Even though the climbs are all only Category 3, there is still 4,100 m of climbing... ouch! :eek: It's cold, windy, and there will be some rain along the way; the joys of being a pro eh :p

R64NqdpB5NXtDvam4TtEc7.jpg

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/1324260061582077953

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The peloton covered 42.4km in the first hour of racing. It looks like the breakaway has just been let of the leash. There was a lot of attacking and seemingly Carapaz got in a break but the group was quickly caught.

Live coverage on GCN/Eurosport doesn't start until 1.40pm unfortunately.

Wellens in the break again. 10 riders with 3:03 and a group of 3 in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Live coverage on GCN/Eurosport doesn't start until 1.40pm unfortunately.
    I think it's host broadcaster. Vuelta the last one not to go start to finish.

Macy0161 wrote: »

Sorry yeah my wording sounded like it was GCN/Eurosports fault for not showing any coverage earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I was just going to mention this. Stage is half over already

• Advertisement

Par for the course with racing in Spain and a lesser degree Italy and joining coverage well into a stage. I can understand the reason TV time etc. but they could show the whole thing via streaming platforms in this day and age.

I remember one of the early season tours in Spain a couple of years ago, Alaphilippe was doing really well if I recall, but due to how the stages had been raced what should have been coverage of the last 40-50km was less than 10km on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I remember reading Nico Roche's diaries for years when he was talking about the endless nature of attacks in the early part of stages but never really got to see it myself until much more recently. It certainly adds an extra dimension to the viewing although in some cases they could then stop the coverage until maybe 50-60km to go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I never thought about green as a colour for a bike but that Caja Rural DeRosa is quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Par for the course with racing in Spain and a lesser degree Italy and joining coverage well into a stage. I can understand the reason TV time etc. but they could show the whole thing via streaming platforms in this day and age.

I remember one of the early season tours in Spain a couple of years ago, Alaphilippe was doing really well if I recall, but due to how the stages had been raced what should have been coverage of the last 40-50km was less than 10km on a few occasions.
    I don't mind the smaller races - it's obviously costly to have the planes in the air, but really the grand tours should be end to end. Particularly in a pandemic when so many working from home or the only ones in the office :D

Cattaneo from DQS is in the breakaway, and I count 6 DQS riders towards the front of the peloton... so I guess Sam is the one that is dropped?

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I never thought about green as a colour for a bike but that Caja Rural DeRosa is quite nice

How about those purple BH ones too, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wellens has dropped back from the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Daroxtar wrote: »

The kit would make an excellent Irish national kit for the WC and Olympics

dahat wrote: »
    Wellens has dropped back from the break.

He should have stopped at a cafe for a coffee :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,175 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Anyone else feel that most of this peloton has just about enough left to roll into Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

C'mon, echelons!

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that most of this peloton has just about enough left to roll into Madrid

I'd say a lot of them would like to climb off the bike and get in the team car. Tough day

Cattaneo from DQS is in the breakaway, and I count 6 DQS riders towards the front of the peloton... so I guess Sam is the one that is dropped?

There is a DQS rider near the rear of the peloton so that could be Sam. Or else he is up near the front with the rest of his team mates... perhaps there is a chance that he could contest the stage win??

Edit - It's Sam who is at the rear of the peloton. It doesn't look like he's about to be dropped or anything... so he could still have a chance

Edit #2I'm jinxed him as he's just been dropped :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I'd say a lot of them would like to climb off the bike and get in the team car. Tough day

Manky day alright

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Could be a sketchy descent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Breakaway has it now. Like yesterday I thought the peloton would catch it but they eased up around the 2 minute mark

Impressive stuff from Cattaneo though you can see how much he's beginning to suffer. There's still time for the peloton to get this back though and they seem to be pushing on now...

Dodge wrote: »
    Breakaway has it now. Like yesterday I thought the peloton would catch it but they eased up around the 2 minute mark

within a few minutes they've halved the deficit...

:eek:

Are any of the sprinters in the main group? I haven't heard mention of Ackermann despite Bora pulling at the front.

edit: I can see from CN live feed that Ackermann is up there :( though Kirby & Kelly talking about Magnus Cort Neilsen being favourite?

edit 2: poor Cattaneo. also now I see the slight uphill finish, I'd have thought it doesn't look long enough to make a huge difference though!

Jesper Philipsen is there.

Literally no idea who will win this

Very few in the peloton... I hope Dan is there

Very few in the peloton... I hope Dan is there

Time taken at 3km apparently due to an oil spill!
    We're hearing from our man in Spain Alasdair Fotheringham that a big oil slick in the last kilometres means times for the stage are going to taken with 3kms to go.

Who was DQS rider? He was pushing an enormous gear towards the finish!

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Jesper Philipsen is there.

The Belarussian has done it :P

Advertisement