Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gifts for Nieces & Nephews

Options
  • 05-11-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, I have a ton of nieces and nephews and usually I give vouchers towards a day out cinema etc. Not sure if this is still a good idea this year.

If anyone has any ideas that would work this year Id be very grateful. I really dont like the idea of giving gifts as they already get lots of pressies and they work out very expensive when added up.

11 kids ages range between 4 and 13yrs

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Clothes? Or Pyjamas? They'll definitely get used. Younger ages in particular. They aren't super expensive and new ones are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Books or book vouchers are always good.

Clothes could be good, but I'd check with the parents first to see what they actually need (and confirm sizes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

A nice Christmas tree decoration with their name on it. I ordered these and they arrived yesterday. They're gorgeous in person and not expensive at all!! https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/647238670/christmas-wood-decor-christmas-baubles?ref=yr_purchases

You could also throw in a selection box, if you feel the decoration isn't enough. You can't beat a nice Cadbury selection box on Christmas morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

Seems like a lot to be buying for. We just buy for godchildren. Assuming some are in the same household why not just buy a board game and a tub of sweets for each house?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I agree, 11 is crazy, great excuse this year to have the godchildren only conversation, otherwise one gift per household.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

jellybear wrote: »
    A nice Christmas tree decoration with their name on it. I ordered these and they arrived yesterday. They're gorgeous in person and not expensive at all!! https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/647238670/christmas-wood-decor-christmas-baubles?ref=yr_purchases

You could also throw in a selection box, if you feel the decoration isn't enough. You can't beat a nice Cadbury selection box on Christmas morning :D

They are gorgeous jellybear, great idea, I am stuck for ideas for 3 nieces on his side,
    do you know if the order book still open for these?

SarahLil wrote: »
    They are gorgeous jellybear, great idea, I am stuck for ideas for 3 nieces on his side,
    do you know if the order book still open for these?

Yeah I ordered 3 more last week and they shipped yesterday. They take about 2 weeks to arrive :) Depending on the age of nieces, I saw these yesterday and thought they were fab...https://www.awaywiththefairies.ie/fairy-house-night-lights/?fbclid=IwAR0olTtMbESyeXLnvXNizOvS45LgrCB38P3YiUQ7o55ylRZFuwzCMmCBgCQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

jellybear wrote: »
    Yeah I ordered 3 more last week and they shipped yesterday. They take about 2 weeks to arrive :) Depending on the age of nieces, I saw these yesterday and thought they were fab...https://www.awaywiththefairies.ie/fairy-house-night-lights/?fbclid=IwAR0olTtMbESyeXLnvXNizOvS45LgrCB38P3YiUQ7o55ylRZFuwzCMmCBgCQ

Thanks they are gorgeous too,

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Thanks all those tree decorations look lovely but trying to get out of buying stuff coz the poor environment, giving sweets is another option but as I don't eat sugar I don't want to give **** to them either. My max is usually 10e per child think it's going to be a takeaway voucher for their favourite pizza, chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Book token which is valid in any book shop.
    Or just put the cash into an envelope and write a nice personal note to each explaining that you didn't get the opportunity to shop for them this year.
    Children of all ages love cash!!

• Advertisement

Scratch cards are also a nice token gift and a bit of fun!

Depending on their interests, you could make a donation in their name to a charity eg. Animals, children's hospital etc. Some may not like this idea but I just thought it might be a suggestion considering you don't want to buy any material things. It's a nice way of giving back and you could maybe get the charity to write a small note of thanks to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

Soilse wrote: »
    Thanks all those tree decorations look lovely but trying to get out of buying stuff coz the poor environment, giving sweets is another option but as I don't eat sugar I don't want to give **** to them either. My max is usually 10e per child think it's going to be a takeaway voucher for their favourite pizza, chipper

Again, if there are some of the kids living in the same house, eg 3 houses, just buy a €25 voucher for the house or if there are 4 houses, €20 per house. The voucher can go towards their next family take away. Don't stress over it and don't put any financial strain on yourself either. 11 kids is a lot to buy for individually.

Next year make a family suggestion that you just buy for godchildren if the kids are christened :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’d almost go for a selection box each & leave it at that. We used have over 30 to buy for & it became a total nonsense - a tenner x-11 kids adds up and a tenner buys very little these days.

You could offer a trip somewhere - the parents might be glad to have them off their hands for a day & you could do a trip & family entrance ticket to an OPW site like Bunratty Castle or the (Not OPW) Irish American Folk Park or brilliant Military History Museum ( & whatever general craic they have on that day) - the kids might enjoy a day with their favourite aunty & it could be an annual thing.

Or come up with a theme - Steamtrain trip in the summer ( if you can get tickets), day out on the water - ferry from Howth to dun LOghaire & hike & pizzas in Howth, Canoe Trip down one of the canals (companies do guided trips & provide boats & gear) - with chips by the bankside after etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

It sounds good that you have tons of nieces and nephews. Though it is a blessing, but you must have enough budget to get exciting gifts for them. In my opinion, we should always give utilizable gifts to kids. However, if I suggest books, games or toys, then we can't say whether each kid would like them or have interest in them or not. But probably, you can buy wearables in bulk. In this regard, you can consider beanie caps, socks and even jumpers.

Actually, I also bought jumpers and Elf custom for my nieces after getting some suggestions from here https://christmasjumpersale.co.uk/kids-christmas-jumpers/ last month. You can also pick jumper from here but honestly, now, I can't say anything about delivery. That's why you should pick something from a nearby store. By the way, if you want to save some money, then it is the best idea to get some clothing items from a wholesaler, but again, you can face delay in delivery.

On the contrary, if we talk about other gift ideas, then it could be a school book, Disney subscription, KidiZoom and much more. I think this article https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/12847856/best-christmas-gifts-for-kids/ can assist you in a better manner to pick the right gift according to the taste of your nieces and nephews.

Best of luck!

Advertisement