Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating property to sell on

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

True enough.

I'd be content with a mere 0.3mil takeaway from that Cluan na Greine in a flatter market :)

I haven't figured out how to flip in a worriesome or falling market though.

Very carefully would be my opinion
    I am 60 and out of the game now(it was only a sideline to my main job )
    My brothers ,plumber and carpenter both self employed who worked with me have not bought a property this year
    Too many unknowns and they are busy in their own work with people doing home improvements .
    The carpenter is also a cabinet maker and he has already put in 3 kitchens with a price tag of over 40k this year
    That include worktops tiling plumbing and electrics ,but not appliances .
    People are spending money on their homes because they are spending much more time in them
    Landscape gardeners are also out the door with work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Actually, I think adding a socket to an existing circuit is just about the only thing you're allowed do anymore without being RECI. That and changing faceplates and light switches and the like.

Another reason for the quick n' lickin approach!

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/
    Looks like you are right
    Rules and regs change too quick to keep up with
    I wired my own place recently and had to show proof of ownership and union card with qualifications before the ESB would move the meter and connect up

Or Cluain na Greine in Shankill. Bought for 256K in 2014 (I bid about 10K less!) and after a slow flip (the flipper was, I understand, a developer knocked back by the crash seeking to get going again) sold 2 and a bit years later for 1.15mil. Granted, an extension put on and a gut job. But proof positive that there are excellent flips (or really excellent flips in this case) to be had for 'e 'oo dares'

Can't believe this house sold for over a million!!!!
    I lived in it for years, before the apartments were built & the housing estate in the garden! By the time I left, there was no privacy whatsoever. Someone was mad to spend that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

brisan wrote: »
    T
    Cash rich receipt poor tradesmen are a blessing

Pray tell how that works!

brisan wrote: »
    https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/
    Looks like you are right
    Rules and regs change too quick to keep up with
    I wired my own place recently and had to show proof of ownership and union card with qualifications before the ESB would move the meter and connect up

Yeah, RECI have it sown up with a self serving appeal to Health & Safety. I looked up the number of people killed through faulty elec infrastructure in the last 20 years and I think it was zero. Someone killed fixing a washing machine or some such.

But now you need someone with a cert to pull a cable from a fuse board. Roll eyes..

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Can't believe this house sold for over a million!!!!
    I lived in it for years, before the apartments were built & the housing estate in the garden! By the time I left, there was no privacy whatsoever. Someone was mad to spend that much!

Still a decent detached double fronted period gaf on own (if north facing) "land". A shadow of its former self but whatever shadow it cast fell on own garden (the apartment block was north so couldn't cast a shadow much :)).

Went up for €950K but there was a run on it. Just not that many properties of that quality on the market in what was a bit of a boom time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

some interesting posts and views. thanks

😎

Advertisement