Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill in Garage

Options
  • 05-11-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Maybe this has been answered previously and my boards search capabilites are just poor, but anyone have any advice around keeping a treadmill in a non heated garage and tips or tricks to stop it from frying itself.

Bit of context around where I would put the treadmill:
    Garage is 7m * 5m metal frame with a inside lining on the walls and roof to stop condensation.
    Concrete floor underneath. Painted to reduce dust.

I have burned through 2 (both second hand and very cheap) treadmills already (no more than 4 or 5 weeks each) but I think they were more down to the belt not having been maintained and the motors were ready to go on them regardless, Then again it could be the garage setup which is why I'm looking for advice before I spend anymore.

I've done quite a bit of research around my setup and what can be done to help the situation and from what I can gather:

1 - I should not have a treadmill in a non heated garage. Full Stop.
    2 - However if I do put one in there, I can mitigate the dust, cold and condensation by
    a) Putting mats underneath it to stop dust and debris and cold rising from the concrete floor
    b) Always plugging it out when not in use.
    c) Cover the running belt and motor etc with a single duvet after use.
    d) Put a dehumidifier running in the garage.

I have a Tacx Flux turbo trainer in the garage that requires power as well which has not trouble whatsoever, although in fairness, it probably requires much less power and potentially doesn't create as much heat as a treadmill does.

Very interested to hear opinions, comments and suggestions from Boardsies on this if possible.

Do any of you have the same setup as myself and have no issues at all?
    Are the tips above viable or rubbish.
    Are there other tips that can be put in place to save the life of a treadmill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

From previous personal experience, the running deck will be at most risk.
    They are mostly made from some type of manufactured hardboard and will absorb moisture.
    Having said that they are relatively cheap and easy to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I have also set up a treadmill in my garage a few weeks ago, it's dry and does not get damp so my only concern would be the cold. The garage also has a concrete floor but is on a wooden platform and lino. It gets used nearly every day.
    To protect it I've a heavy duty treadmill cover ordered from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Maybe I'm missing a trick here but my treadmill is standing in a usually very cold (at least in winter) conservatory, together with 1 dog and 3 cats (who also sleep on it on occasions), no covers, but has been working without issue for 6 years. And it has seen a lot of use, especially in the last 6 months.

Dampness would be a worry, but I can't see what the problem would be apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Maybe I'm missing a trick here but my treadmill is standing in a usually very cold (at least in winter) conservatory, together with 1 dog and 3 cats (who also sleep on it on occasions), no covers, but has been working without issue for 6 years. And it has seen a lot of use, especially in the last 6 months.

That's good to hear, a new treadmill is not cheap, but with me space is an issue. The garage was the only place I could put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Kept a treadmill for 3 years in an unheated garage very similar to as you've described....no issues. Treadmill in the house now, 8 years on still perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

I had a treadmill in a steel tech shed and the controller went after year & half, last winter was not a cold winter so I put it down to dust. Def not over use anyway, bought a motor & controller which set me back over £200, I was advised to change both, I just chanced changing the controller it worked. It was always plugged out, got a cover which reminds me I should start using it.

Advertisement