Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate flags on Shandon Street

Options
  • 05-11-2020 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Every summer for the last few years one of the apartments near the bottom of Shandon street (before the junction to Blarney Street as you're coming up the hill) has had a number of Confederate flags flying out the windows. I didn't see any this year until the last few weeks, so I assume it's tied to the GAA season. I would have thought by now the person would have known why not to fly those flags, and Cork GAA have publicly stated in the past that these flags should not be used.

I'm half tempted to figure out which house it is so I can post them a postcard reminding them what the flags stand for. Unless someone here knows who it is and can give them a gentle reminder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

FFS leave it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Fabio wrote: »
    FFS leave it off.

What? Having racist flags flying out the window on a street with a lot of minority owned businesses is cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

dulpit wrote: »
    What? Having racist flags flying out the window on a street with a lot of minority owned businesses is cool?

Why don't you knock on their door and ask them? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hey all,

Every summer for the last few years one of the apartments near the bottom of Shandon street (before the junction to Blarney Street as you're coming up the hill) has had a number of Confederate flags flying out the windows. I didn't see any this year until the last few weeks, so I assume it's tied to the GAA season. I would have thought by now the person would have known why not to fly those flags, and Cork GAA have publicly stated in the past that these flags should not be used.

I'm half tempted to figure out which house it is so I can post them a postcard reminding them what the flags stand for. Unless someone here knows who it is and can give them a gentle reminder.

I doubt they're the kind that will take any notice of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Granadino wrote: »
    Why don't you knock on their door and ask them? :confused:

Simple. Social justice types are often cowardly people. They love to scream names at people on the internet, but reach a stumbling block when it comes approaching people in the real world. I'm sure the strongly worded letter will put the fear in the guilty party though.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

How the fluich can a flag be racist :rolleyes:

They ve been flown at Cork matches for at least 30 years and I'd wager that the people flying them had absolutely no iota what they "stand" for - they've have no connotations outside of the USA. They've nothing go to do with Chinese lads or polish lassies or Nigerian princes - the only minority group that can feel offended by them are AFRICAN AMERICANS from the US like - have we many of them living here?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the flag has no meaning outside the US, why use it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

some people consider the confederate flag racists now and some people don't consider it as racist .. If you so upset call to the house and ask them to take it down , seems like the Minority owned businesses don't seem to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

L1011 wrote: »

Rebel county, rebel flag. I think that's how deep it goes.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'd wager if you went into said businesses and asked them if they knew anything about the flag that half wouldn't have a clue and those that did wouldn't care less. The flag is a tradition among Cork fans and they should be allowed to carry on their traditions regardless of those that are easily offended.

• Advertisement

Erm, the rebel county. Its a long standing tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 feckwunker

If the flag has no meaning outside the US, why would you be bothered by it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

#corklivesmatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which means an accepted meaning.

#corklivesmatter.

Langerslivesmatter #save our flag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Funnily enough, I thought it was all about pretty young things in tight jeans and tied shirts (the girls, that is) and young lads with great haircuts stickin' it to "the man". So, 1970's rebels. I'd wager it was in this context that the flag became an emblem at GAA matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So is waving the Imperial Japanese Rising Sun flag around....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It has meaning , in the southern usa particularly, and obviously to african americans,
    In cork it's the rebel county thing , the guy is entitled to stick it on his window ... Would I,not a chance
    The gas were wise to discourage it ,they don't need the agro ,
    If it were used at a gaa match ( or a protest) in conjunction with racist chants or slurs then that's a different story ,

In short ,the more " fuss " that's made about it , the more nutcases will start using it ,the more it'll come to mean something , if it's not used at matches ,and if businesses discourage it ,it'll just slowly disappear ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I always thought it was Dukes of Hazzard, my chances of seeing Daisy Duke have been dashed

Jeepers if we have nothing to worry about bar the fact you aren't seeing the flags then shure we're grand

But if anyone sees Daisy, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

How the fluich can a flag be racist :rolleyes:

255px-Flag_of_Germany_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg.png

Well you did ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'd wager if you went into said businesses and asked them if they knew anything about the flag that half wouldn't have a clue and those that did wouldn't care less. The flag is a tradition among Cork fans and they should be allowed to carry on their traditions regardless of those that are easily offended.

Well the county board have banned Cork fans bringing them to games. It's not often i agree with the way the county board have traditionally done things, but im with them on this one. A man originally from Fiji, was our most recent all ireland hurling winning captain after all. Of course there was never a racist reason, for the usage of conefederate flags by Cork fans. But we have been informed that the flag has connotations with racism and slavery, and i think that sort of tradition as you call it, is something that we as a county can do without. There's plenty of other flags, that we can use to celebrate when we win our next double.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Before we all "Woke" we thought it was synonymous with Dodge Chargers, CJ7's, cut-off jeans and putting one over on the Po-leece.
    Things are so much better now......

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

The Rebel County - so called because they supported the campaign of a different English King to rule over them.

The Rebel County - where the highest honour is to have a picture with the UK queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

cantalach wrote: »
    255px-Flag_of_Germany_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg.png

Well you did ask.

Again, the flag isn't racist.

Neither is the swastika for that matter - it's an ancient religious symbol.
    while the nazi party adopted it for its flag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This American confederate flag has become a widely recognised symbol of the Southern United States, racism and white supremacy. It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross.

Anyone raising or hanging the flag is either stupid enough to be racist or stupid enough to not know the meaning behind the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Different symbols (and words/phrases) come to mean different things over time. That's the nature of language. Words that were acceptable 50 yrs ago, are absolutely not acceptable now.

Geography plays a part too e.g. route is not pronounced root in polite company in Australia - it means something quite different!! (It's pronounced the American way row-t rhyymes with about

Many Irish people, and especially the bored media, got upset with Ben & Jerry's Ice cream a few yrs ago: the Black & Tan storm in an ice-cream bowl

https://nowiknow.com/the-ben-and-jerrys-flavor-that-left-a-bad-taste-in-some-mouths/

If many people legitimately take offence by the use of the Confederate flag, which was used by those who supported slavery and the oppression of black Americans (and others), then I would not use it - and I would ask those who do, to listen to the GAA County board and players.

Surely there's another flag GAA supporters could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This American confederate flag has become a widely recognised symbol of the Southern United States, racism and white supremacy. It is also known as the rebel flag, Dixie flag, and Southern cross.

Anyone raising or hanging the flag is either stupid enough to be racist or stupid enough to not know the meaning behind the flag.

Or a Dukes of Hazzard fan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Or a Dukes of Hazzard fan ;)

This category -
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    stupid enough to not know the meaning behind the flag.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe you should go knock on the door OP and tell them what you think the flag represents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Strictly speaking the Southern Cross, to give it it's proper monicker, was flown as a battle-flag by the army of Northern Virginia during the civil war. It was used in the top-left canton of the actual Confederate States of America flag between 1863 and 1865, known as the Stainless Banner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement