Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate flags on Shandon Street

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Am I dreaming or is he still arguing that the Nazi Flag that was depicted isn't representative of racist views and ideology.

My 10 month old niece doesn't recognise it as racist so, therefore, it isn't racist.

Amment I right?
    Amment I brilliant?

I haven't argued that .

Perhaps you're reading level isn't high enough to contribute to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

cantalach wrote: »
    255px-Flag_of_Germany_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg.png

Well you did ask.
    Again, the flag isn't racist...
    I haven't argued that...

Yes, you have. That is the flag of the Nazi party and, subsequently, Nazi Germany under Chancellor Hitler. It doesn't get much more racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

dulpit wrote: »
    What? Having racist flags flying out the window on a street with a lot of minority owned businesses is cool?

No, racist flags out of a window are not cool at all. However, the people you are defending, are not children, they're able to go and talk to the person in question themselves. As others have mentioned, there is a tradition behind that flag in Cork, not one I'd be on board with myself mind you and it's fading away anyway.

Context. It's all about context.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, you have. That is the flag of the Nazi party and, subsequently, Nazi Germany under Chancellor Hitler. It doesn't get much more racist.

a flag is an inanimate object - its not rocket science to understand that.

Its "meaning" differs depending on where you are in the world and as I said- in large swathes of the world it has no significant meaning.

You're choosing to ignore the point I've made.

I made no claim that that flag didn't represent Nazi Germany - merely that its "meaning" is not universal throughout the entire world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Its "meaning" differs depending on where you are in the world and as I said- in large swathes of the world it has no significant meaning.

I made no claim that that flag didn't represent Nazi Germany - merely that its "meaning" is not universal throughout the entire world.

I already gave you a pat on the back for being technically correct regarding an object not being able to be racist. Someone told you you were right. Why aren't you happy?

• Advertisement

What you said, verbatim, was "the flag isn't racist.". Never mind all this balloonery about "meaning". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This must win the prize of the most stupid pointless argument on the Cork forum for quite a while!!
    Now, I just have to stop being part of it!

I already gave you a pat on the back for being technically correct regarding an object not being able to be racist. Someone told you you were right. Why aren't you happy?
    Who said I'm not happy? if your not able to have an adult conversation about something why are you contributing?
    What you said, verbatim, was "the flag isn't racist.". Never mind all this balloonery about "meaning". :pac:

So now "meaning"is baloonery.

Did you actually read the thread at all to understand what was being discussed?
    Or did you get such an impressive post count by commenting on as many different topics as possible without knowing the full story?

...Or did you get such an impressive post count by commenting on as many different topics as possible without knowing the full story?

I know the Nazi flag is a racist symbol. That much seems to be beyond the grasp of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,263 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They took my flag, so they have taken my identity. I don’t know who I am anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I thought this was a successful laundry business in Dublin.
    http://historyasm.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-curious-history-of-swastika-laundry.html

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Can we do the racism part time? The job taken takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea, I mightn't be able to devote myself full time to the old racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Cork is the rebel county indeed. Also that street is by and large mostly black people and has been for 15-20 years at least

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the woke-police OP knocked on the door to complain, and discovered the flag flyer was a black Cork GAA fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

And the whole street would come out to clap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Again, the flag isn't racist.

Neither is the swastika for that matter - it's an ancient religious symbol.
    while the nazi party adopted it for its flag

Yeah it is. You can try and pretend it isn't, but then you're only pretending to be stupid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think this thread has run its course really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement