Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online business logistics?

• 05-11-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm almost done starting up an Etsy shop selling custom wood pendants etc, but my question is actually sending the goods - An Post seems to be the best opinion for me as the packages are less than 100g and are all in envelopes, so €8.70 tracked all over the world.

I'm only going to be doing 80-100 packages per month max, everyone else seems much more expensive unless I'm missing something?

My products are only €28-€45 per item so seems silly to be charging a lot regardless of speed.

Opinions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'm involved with a club and we send ties and other small items to members around the world.

We simply use standard large envelope, (2.90) but we do print the address label (dyno address printer) and that ensures there no issue with handwriting and it can be read by all the auto readers.

No lost packages in the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JMR

Run the numbers and factor in whether you can absorb a certain number of 'lost' packages per month by using a standard non-tracked, less expensive service.

As the previous poster suggests, the risk is probably minimal but allow for a small number in your figures.

You may find that standard post is all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

€2.90 worldwide delivery with An Post if it fits through a letterbox. Its untracked but the saving is good vs other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

JMR wrote: »
    Run the numbers and factor in whether you can absorb a certain number of 'lost' packages per month by using a standard non-tracked, less expensive service.

As the previous poster suggests, the risk is probably minimal but allow for a small number in your figures.

You may find that standard post is all you need

On of our members does something on etsy and she sends by standard post, but she adds in a small printed card giving a little info about herself (small home business, rural Ireland, loves doing the work etc) it pulls a little at heartstrings and means that it is very rare that she has "lost" packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

silver2020 wrote: »
    On of our members does something on etsy and she sends by standard post, but she adds in a small printed card giving a little info about herself (small home business, rural Ireland, loves doing the work etc) it pulls a little at heartstrings and means that it is very rare that she has "lost" packages.

Thanks for that, good idea! Was planning to handwrap in brown paper and red paper ribbon (inside padded envelope), but that's a good extra touch, especially since I make handmade wood pendants. Edit: Aha, 'lost' packages, now I get you. Customers eh?

Very good point about the standard tracking too, I could probably factor in a 1 in 100 lost package - thats about 6 per year at a realistic sales rate, but it'll take a good while to get there.

On the offchance, does anyone have any other useful experiences with Etsy they can share? I've done hours and hours of research, but someone else's experiences are always useful.

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

Thanks for that, good idea! Was planning to handwrap in brown paper and red paper ribbon (inside padded envelope), but that's a good extra touch, especially since I make handmade wood pendants. Edit: Aha, 'lost' packages, now I get you. Customers eh?

Very good point about the standard tracking too, I could probably factor in a 1 in 100 lost package - thats about 6 per year at a realistic sales rate, but it'll take a good while to get there.

On the offchance, does anyone have any other useful experiences with Etsy they can share? I've done hours and hours of research, but someone else's experiences are always useful.

Thanks all!

Watch out for Etsy fees and make sure you’re charging enough to cover them. They can come as a shock! For example the transaction fee is a % of the item and shipping combined, not just the price of the item. It’s a great platform, just make sure to factor enough into the price to cover the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I hope your product is targetted at women. Not so many male customers on Esty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭protelos

Here is a good Podcast about a Dublin guy in San Diego doing well on Etsy. https://www.ecommercefuel.com/how-to-sell-on-etsy/. I think the general conscientious for Etsy is to get off it ASAP after you have built a following and some revenue if you want to build a serious business that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Thanks all!

We were part of a test group where etsy HQ went through everything with us nothing ever happened with the scheme but made a huge difference to our sales! You are unlikely to get great sales from it and theres no real way to push it much you are much better off focusing on your own website. We've done over 3k sales but unless its craft or jewellery supplies sales will tick over but thats about it. The ones who do well tend to be the ones that use it as their main sales source and push people to their etsy shop rather than their website.

jimmii wrote: »
    We were part of a test group where etsy HQ went through everything with us nothing ever happened with the scheme but made a huge difference to our sales! You are unlikely to get great sales from it and theres no real way to push it much you are much better off focusing on your own website. We've done over 3k sales but unless its craft or jewellery supplies sales will tick over but thats about it. The ones who do well tend to be the ones that use it as their main sales source and push people to their etsy shop rather than their website.

I handmake wood pendants so it's definitely craft stuff. I'm not aiming big - I don't have the capacity to make more than 10-15 items a week when I include photography, customer service, wrapping, SEO, postage and all that stuff.

I'd be VERY happy with 15 sales per week, that'd be about €350 in my pocket every week - more than enough for me. Any more growth after than would make it a full time job.

I agree about using another site - my plan is to push sales to Facebook after a while as the costs are lower, then set up my own site eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I handmake wood pendants so it's definitely craft stuff. I'm not aiming big - I don't have the capacity to make more than 10-15 items a week when I include photography, customer service, wrapping, SEO, postage and all that stuff.

I'd be VERY happy with 15 sales per week, that'd be about €350 in my pocket every week - more than enough for me. Any more growth after than would make it a full time job.

I agree about using another site - my plan is to push sales to Facebook after a while as the costs are lower, then set up my own site eventually.

15 is a pretty realistic aim. Wooden pendants sounds like something that would go well. Make them cutesy and they'll no doubt go well! Our best selling product by miles is a mug with a cat pun on. Thats the only thing that sells in any volume very thing else ticks over.

Thanks all, got my first sale today, a long way to go but it's a start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JMR

Thanks all, got my first sale today, a long way to go but it's a start!

Excellent! Well done, keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Cushtie

JMR wrote: »
    Excellent! Well done, keep it up

Congrats. Keep her lit!

Advertisement