Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment in lieu of notice issue

Options
  • 05-11-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi.

I was let go two weeks ago, well a lot of staff were due to covid was the reason given. We were told immediately finished and would be paid a months salary in lieu of notice period. Got paid on Oct 31st just normal salary and were told payment in lieu plus holiday pay would be paid at the end of November. Firstly this gives me a problem that I cannot sign on for the covid payment or jobseekers as my employment is still down as active. Secondly & this is my query, should we all not have been paid our payment in lieu of notice & holiday pay with Oct salary and is it legal to leave us wait until the end of November?. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Perfectly legal.

Your employment continues until your notice period ends, you are being paid without actually having to attend for work during your notice period so obviously your employment terminates and you sign on after your notice period ends at the end of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Perfectly legal, you’re still employed and on garden leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fresh air helps!

Dav010 wrote: »
    Perfectly legal.

Your employment continues until your notice period ends, you are being paid without actually having to attend for work during your notice period so obviously your employment terminates and you sign on after your notice period ends at the end of November.

Ok that’s fine. I have been offered another position immediate start for Monday only happened this afternoon so faster than I thought. I will be paid fortnightly so that means emergency tax for the first month until I am officially off the books in my old job?. I was going to cease the employment myself via ROS to ensure my tax credits are with new job. I asked originally because normally payment in lieu of notice is paid in the final pay when employee leaves. Never heard is someone waiting for a month. Thanks for the replies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Payment in lieu of notice can sometimes end employment immediately. Check with your former employer what your official finish date is.

You can take your new job immediately and overlap... no law against having two jobs... your tax will work out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fresh air helps!

3DataModem wrote: »
    Payment in lieu of notice can sometimes end employment immediately. Check with your former employer what your official finish date is.

You can take your new job immediately and overlap... no law against having two jobs... your tax will work out in the end.

Official finished date is October 27th and that was my termination date we all got told on that date and to finish immediately with payment in lieu and holiday pay to follow in November which I thought was odd. Starting new job anyway doesn’t bother me if I overpay tax happy to have secured a new job so fast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement