Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most Difficult and Complex Phone Technical Support that SOLVED an "issue"

Options
  • 05-11-2020 4:59pm

Worked in tech support myself 14 years ago.

Amongst other achievements.
    I brought a analogue photocopier back from the dead, by doing a reset sequence.

Strangely, I have a better feeling of achievement for getting an out of warranty device working.

Any stories you care to share, that did not result in return to base or engineer onsute for the device?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this has happened to me a few times from users
    I would get users that are having problems with their laptops that keep going into sleep mode when they are using them
    luckily enough I had read about this problem before so was able to advise them what the issue was
    when you close the lid on your laptop it puts the laptop into sleep mode, it does this because there is a magnet in it and when it hits the sensor on the laptop it activates
    this was happening to the users because they were wearing jewellery that had a magnet and when they would reach across the keyboard it would set it off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Skerries wrote: »
    when you close the lid on your laptop it puts the laptop into sleep mode, it does this because there is a magnet in it and when it hits the sensor on the laptop it activates

This is happening all the time with Macs. I have a work Macbook and a home Macbook. When I finish work, I close the lid, and put the home Macbook on top. Even if I open the lid, the Mac on top will not awake, as it detects the magnet from the Mac underneath. To make it work, I need to slide the one on top by a couple of inches backwards or forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Many moons ago, I talked a youngfella in Germany through getting root at the console of a Sun E10k by bringing the kernel up under a debugger and poking UID 0 into cred_t. I think he's still in shock... :pac:

Another story I can truthfully regale is one where agent took a call in Gateway over 20 years ago, where customer wanted onsite because the separate microphone unit did not work. Turns out, in the BIOS a specific 'Phantom' power supply setting had to be set. Took the agent 40 minutes. Customer delighted. This affected Packard Bell PC's too from the same era.

Advertisement