Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labelling public figures

Options
  • 05-11-2020 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Hi im just looking for some clarification as to how moderators decide which derogatory labels are permitted.

For example from CA:

Calling American election candidate Joe Biden "sleepy " amounts to a sanction whereas calling the incumbent Donald Trump a racist, a fascist, an orange moron, an idiot, an ultra nationalist, a pig etc is fine.

Just looking for some clarification as to the thought process because it doesn't really add up.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This has been discussed, and in my view fully addressed, in the Current Affairs thread in Feedback

Are you suggesting there have been further examples you have reported since that discussion a few days ago? If so I am happy to have a look if you could report again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Beasty wrote: »
    This has been discussed, and in my view fully addressed, in the Current Affairs thread in Feedback

Are you suggesting there have been further examples you have reported since that discussion a few days ago? If so I am happy to have a look if you could report again

Thanks for the reply. I saw your post in the feedback thread outlining what you find acceptable and what isnt

"This is exactly the point

Anyone referring to Biden as "creepy" can expect sanction - all you are doing is winding up Biden's supporters

And yes it works the other way. If someone refers to Trump as a "rapist" or "moron" they can expect action.

Hopefully that draws a line under this specific point"

However on the election result thread in CA there are still multiple and regular comments being posted describing Trump as racist, fascist, moron etc etc

These posts are going unactioned by mods. I have reported many with in the interest of balance as I saw one poster who mentioned "sleepy joe " being removed from the thread.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have just looked through all the posts you have reported in that thread since my comments in the Feedback thread

The vast majority have been actioned. 2 posts where you were drawing a parallel with the comments in the Feedback thread have not been actioned. In both cases because the mod actually interpreted the posts differently to yourself. In both cases I am happy with the mod's interpretation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Beasty wrote: »
    I have just looked through all the posts you have reported in that thread since my comments in the Feedback thread

The vast majority have been actioned. 2 posts where you were drawing a parallel with the comments in the Feedback thread have not been actioned. In both cases because the mod actually interpreted the posts differently to yourself. In both cases I am happy with the mod's interpretation

Thanks for taking the time to look. If the mods interpreted the posts differently that's fair enough. Obviously I haven't seen the sanctions but am willing to take your word on it.
    We all only want fairness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement