Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the fastest speed you've ever reached?

Options
  • 05-11-2020 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Me: A paltry 45 km/h downhill on a hybrid.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

According to my old Cateye over 84kmph coming down a mountain in Wales. Since I have gotten a proper GPS thing, tipped over 70 a few times on the way home a few times but you are acutely aware that if anything goes wrong you ain't walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

68km @ Luggala earlier this year, was extremely unenjoyable as I dislike descending at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CramCycle wrote:
    According to my old Cateye over 84kmph coming down a mountain in Wales. Since I have gotten a proper GPS thing, tipped over 70 a few times on the way home a few times but you are acutely aware that if anything goes wrong you ain't walking away.

Jesus theyre scary speeds, certainly no collecting 200 if that fails

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

Fastest I actually recorded was just over 61kph coming down Boston Hill. Things got a bit squirrelly at the sharpish right turn at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure I was faster coming down coming down Keeper Hill in Tipp, but I had paused my Garmin at the top, and forgot to start it again before the descent...

It's scary and exhilarating at the same time, but as Cram said, you're acutely aware that a small mistake is going to be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Doc07

78km In Wicklow first summer I got back into cycling. Hardly ever went above 60 since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Max 82kph for a short stretch coming down a road on Mount Teide. Over 60kph for 10 minutes coming down the road from the 'top'.

Regularly hit 70's coming down hill near me for a very short time.

I love speed, faster the better - I'd love to have a crack at the hill Kelly hit 124kph on in the '84 tour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

70kph is my fastest. Going down from Bray Head into Greystones. Road was nice and straight so at least I could see what was ahead. And it had a natural incline at the end to slow me down. Exhilarating but also frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

86km/hr in the Wicklow mts on a less than ideal surface! Have clipped over 70 in races a few times and low 80s too but 86 being top. Helps to be about 80kg I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Heavier riders will reach higher speeds on descents. I've hit 80 odd in Wicklow and Carlow — other lads have hit over 90 on the same descents.

The real eye opener was when I did a the Clonard races a few years ago. We had a howling tailwind on the way to Kilbeggan, and at one stage, I looked down at my computer to see we were doing 72kph on the flat!

Anyone here who's done the Ras or A1 races could attest to frequantly reaching those speeds on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've one ride with a top speed of 88 that I'm dubious about but I'm fairly sure about a few others that are between 80 and 82. The fastest I've sustained for any proper distance is a stretch in northern Spain where I covered 3km at 67kmh and a segment of 14km done at 54kmh. They were real fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

84k'ish with Astramonti....Raid Pyrenean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

94kph on a descent in Yorkshire when we were over for the World Champs last year. Haulin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

78 km/h down the the Old Long Hill a couple of years ago. Not a fan of high speeds - too dodgy. Sheep at the side of the road make me nervous at anything above 40 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

82 descending in lanzarote. I nearly hate descending more than climbing. Let go of the brakes on one decent and hit 82. Didn’t do it a second time. The cross winds used make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

82km/hr coming down a hill in Achill. The descent after the climb back out of Keem Bay.

Hit over 70 a good few times also. One of the first open races I did was Ras Maigh Eo A4. Down by Doolough there was a line out and I was about 7th or 8th back. We were flying it. I was thinking at the time that the speed we were doing was absolutely insane but was focusing on the road and didn't want to look at the Wahoo. But then I glanced down to see 73km/hr. It's nuts. It doesn't bear thinking about the damage you'd do if you came off the bike at those speeds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

70kph is my fastest. Going down from Bray Head into Greystones. Road was nice and straight so at least I could see what was ahead. And it had a natural incline at the end to slow me down. Exhilarating but also frightening.

That’s the only hill I feel in any way comfortable descending fast these days. Think I’ve reached 72 down there. The last bit before it rises up again is the best bit for letting rip!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had to look this up, but 87 kmph somewhere near Girona last year. Buttery smooth roads and great drivers made it feel not quite that. Fastest here is 81 on some road between blessing to and Dublin I think. Very short, steep road that Im fairly sure I just misjudged

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

55mph (90kmh) down holme moss when i first got a bike speedo

over 70kmh regularly on local hills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Deagol wrote: »
    Max 82kph for a short stretch coming down a road on Mount Teide. Over 60kph for 10 minutes coming down the road from the 'top'.

Regularly hit 70's coming down hill near me for a very short time.

I love speed, faster the better - I'd love to have a crack at the hill Kelly hit 124kph on in the '84 tour :)

76kph for me slightly reigning it back coming down Mt Leinster on an Audax years ago, was ****ting it.

Was listening to Sean Kelly mention that alright when another commentator asked him what his max speed was, mind boggling stuff and he said at the time a Dutch rider passed him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

88kph on the hill going into Letterkenny, back in the days of non GPS so it was 88 at the final look but think I was braking very quick after that look.

On the same hill I hit 78kph with a GPS but had to brake much early due to obstacles :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Weepsie wrote: »
    Fastest here is 81 on some road between blessing to and Dublin I think. Very short, steep road that Im fairly sure I just misjudged

I'll take a stab that it was the Dowery Descent.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4408762

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

Southside of Mamore Gap is great for a fast decent - straight road and good visibility. I think it has been resurfaced lately, but I recall being sh1tscared going down it doing 70+ kmph and that's with some braking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I did have a tailwind on the N11 one day and had to slow as I passed 70kmph as I caught the 145 in the bus lane and traffic was too heavy to overtake. Those speeds on the flat are so much fun, way more comfy than on a descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

84 in Lanzarote, 81 descending the Wicklow Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Planet X wrote: »
    84k'ish with Astramonti....Raid Pyrenean.

that was a class spin. I'd love to do it again. I saw 90+ on one of the cols i think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the quickest i can find from a short search is 72km/h in bellewstown.
    fastest i've hit on the flat is 60.1km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

100.8kph on the straight descent of Mamore Gap.
    86 on the drop into Letterkenny on the Ballybofey Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

76 kmph coming down from Bohernabreena into Tallaght - decent roads with decent visibility.

I'd get over 60 kmph fairly regularly coming down Ticknock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

55km/h on the N11, slightly downhill after a run of green lights on a hybrid. I remember it one time as there was a 50km/h limit for traffic at the time due to roadworks, of course none were obeying it!

Have likely gone faster down steep hills but no speedo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

I tipped 102kph down Coronet Peak in Queenstown NZ. I was a few years younger then 😅

Advertisement