Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the fastest speed you've ever reached?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Morrisp

Around 15 years ago down think Wicklow gap. Crazy won’t do it now a days

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭dom_1000

88 kmh on the only desent on the tour of kildare a few years ago.

115 kmh on skis in kaprun Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

About 55km down gallows hill Clare. Would love to have pushed it but there are too many things can happen on the way down but Id love someday to do it on a closed road as I love a good descent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    ....86 on the drop into Letterkenny on the Ballybofey Rd.
    79.9 on the same stretch (Lurgybrack). I was spinning out on a 50/11 and could have done with a standard. It's a great stretch for speed - good surface, wide, straight, good visability, minimum entrances/exits etc. I'd love to have another go at it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/599736229

I've other rides from abroad where Strava has indicated higher speeds but I'd be dubious about their accuracy due to GPS interference with tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

70klm coming back to tallaght from blessington. I was passing cars out and everything. Its some decent from blessington, I'd say you could get more but it was busy.
    I can easily get it up to 50klm on a flat. I have legs like a horse as I do kickboxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

About 35 MPH (just under 60 km/h) aged 14 on a Triumph 20. (had n old-school analog speedo on the bike) I was coming down a long hill near Rockbrook and the bike ran away with me. When I tried to slow down i wobbled, and came off. Luckily I ended up on the verge - I had scrapes on my hands, legs and head, and a gash on my leg, but it could have been much worse. Frightened the life out of a car coming in the other direction - they were very good to me.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

About 80 kph down through Howth village! Was very young and foolish! Also got to about 60kph on the flat with a gale at my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

92kph on the hill from Ballybofey into Letterkenny, strong south westerly wind behind me.

On another occasion on the same hill, i over took an artic, I knew the driver so did it for the craic, he gave me some look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

It was fast enough, I was going down a hill in Glenmore county Kilkenny in the 80's on a sprick racer , remember those bikes from the 80's

Anyway I knew if I pulled the brakes at this stage I'd be summersault faster than I was cycling,so I decided to veer into the ditch slowly and eventually tore the side of me in briars and slowed down incrementaly..

The locals used to call it kill hill..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

77km/h down past cruagh woods a few years back. Gets a bit spooky at those speeds but you just get into tunnel vision to give it your all for a few seconds and hope for the best. I don't think I would be as brave now.

• Advertisement

Conway635 wrote: »
    ...had n old-school analog speedo on the bike ....
    Jesus I'd forgotten about those. The hand on mine used to shake violently when near the limit on it which I think was 40mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I've one ride with a top speed of 88 that I'm dubious about but I'm fairly sure about a few others that are between 80 and 82. The fastest I've sustained for any proper distance is a stretch in northern Spain where I covered 3km at 67kmh and a segment of 14km done at 54kmh. They were real fun.

I have hit 70+ touring in Spain on a road bike with saddle bag. However a lot of the Spanish roads are great for this. Perfect surface, you can see for miles, light on traffic..
    I am not sure I would come anywhere need that speed on the some of the roads listed in this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

79kmph coming down Lurgybrack outside Letterkenny...was raging that I didn't tip 80kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

91 kph sitting at the back of the astana training group - descending off the south side of Mt Teide (Tenerife) to Vilaflor.

They were drafting their VW Transporter team van at the time. No let up on the hairpin turns. I eventually chickened out once once we were above 90kph.

crosswords wrote: »
    91 kph sitting at the back of the astana training group - descending off the south side of Mt Teide (Tenerife) to Vilaflor....
    I also jumped on the back of an Astana group in Tenerife a few years ago. I lasted about 10 seconds (It was on a flattish section).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

90.6kph at the Nürburgring according to my wahoo. I am not a good descender, had several speed wobbles that day and very nearly hit the barriers trying to corner at the bottom of a hill. The ambulance was on the track more than once. I was incredibly relieved that I finished my time on the track just before the lashings of rain started.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

72kph for me. I'd be more wary now, having had a pal wiped by a car doing similar speed and getting away with just broken bones coming down from by the pier gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

70kph is my fastest. Going down from Bray Head into Greystones. Road was nice and straight so at least I could see what was ahead. And it had a natural incline at the end to slow me down. Exhilarating but also frightening.

this is where I've hit my top speed as well - it's a great road for descending, good surface, wide, sweeping bends - get in the big ring and on the drops and you can fairly easily hit 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Clearly the driver of this car is a cyclist as he gave me a "Thumbs up" as i passed.
    (at the very end of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwr3FVc1YfU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Trying to figure out a max all-time speed from Strava and Garmin connect seems to draw a blank. From memory it was 71kph coming down the Wicklow gap some years ago but very rarely go above 60kph these days, mostly maxing out in the early to mid 50s on a typical spin. Bad crash a few years ago and advancing years has made me more cautious. Also moving to a gravel setup with wider tyres and losing a good bit of weight has cut my freewheeling descending speed a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Clearly the driver of this car is a cyclist as he gave me a "Thumbs up" as i passed.
    (at the very end of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwr3FVc1YfU

Nice! That a VIRB Pro or the basic model? Love the information overlays.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Nice! That a VIRB Pro or the basic model? Love the information overlays.

Neither.. Camera is a Gopro Hero session. I used the Virb software on my PC to add the Data. (Love that camera its so small and discreet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

84 with tailwind , down hill in Lanzarote- not as enjoyable as I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

It's been a long time since I've been out on a bike. Back in the day when the speed limit was 55mph I got 56mph on the road from Sally Gap to Roundwood iirc. It was a target that needed to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

According to Strava I clocked 92.5Kph from Wicklow Gap to Laragh on July 2nd this year
    And picked up two cups along the way

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Clearly the driver of this car is a cyclist as he gave me a "Thumbs up" as i passed....
    Looks like he's giving you 'the finger' to me. :pac:

Looks like he's giving you 'the finger' to me. :pac:

TBH so did I at the time! I had to review the footage afterwards to check. I felt bad too as I didn’t acknowledge him as I passed because I thought he was being an ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smacl wrote: »
    Trying to figure out a max all-time speed from Strava and Garmin connect seems to draw a blank.

It can be done if you have a VeloViewer subscription. Go to your activities and either download as a CSV then do the 'Text to Columns' and sort by the max speed column. Or you could simply scroll through your activities on VV but that could take a while.

crosstownk wrote: »
    It can be done if you have a VeloViewer subscription. Go to your activities and either download as a CSV then do the 'Text to Columns' and sort by the max speed column.....
    Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of that facility. It's taking its time though as all I'm seeing is 'Work in progress'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of that facility. It's taking its time though as all I'm seeing is 'Work in progress'.

Given the amount of activities you have, I'd say it could be a long WIP!

EDIT: Mine downloaded almost instantly. Click generate, then the download option appears.

Everything is in metres and seconds so the max speed will be metres per second - you'll need to convert to km/h.

Advertisement