Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the fastest speed you've ever reached?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

69.5kph coming over errigal towards glenveagh with tailwind

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

puddles22 wrote: »
    69.5kph coming over errigal ...
    I've only ever done Errigal on foot. Bit rough on a bike I'd say!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of that facility. It's taking its time though as all I'm seeing is 'Work in progress'.

Even simpler - just click on the header cell of the Max Speed column on the VV activities page. No need for the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've only ever done Errigal on foot. Bit rough on a bike I'd say!:p

They resurfaced a good section of the road last year. There used to be a rough section from the falcarragh/mucking turn off heading up towards errigal but it has all beef resurfaced and the descent from the highest point near the lake down towards Dunkewey has also been resurfaced and is very fast now.

They resurfaced a good section of the road last year. There used to be a rough section from the falcarragh/mucking turn off heading up towards errigal but it has all beef resurfaced and the descent from the highest point near the lake down towards Dunkewey has also been resurfaced and is very fast now.
    I was being a smart ass - Errigal is a mountain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

58kph uphill, Patricks st. Cork on my white Enik, Tesco plastic bag of cans hanging off the (inverted) handlebars, brother on the crosser.

Deagol wrote: »
    ...I'd love to have a crack at the hill Kelly hit 124kph on in the '84 tour :)
    Descent of the Col de Joux Plane I think.

https://www.strava.com/segments/15763394

(5 boardsies on the listings)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Hit 80kph down off the Cormet De Roseland in the Etape last year, much easier to achieve on the continent than here. Generally level off around 70 on irish roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

82.5 km/h descending from Lago di Braies, on a Cube One 500 touring bike with 700x47C tyres, in a polo shirt and ordinary shorts, stupidly enough no helmet. Disc brakes warped a bit. Hit 78 km/h going down into Kilmacanogue on the same bike.

Averaged 63 km/h over 8.5 Km on the same bike, with panniers descending from the Mirador Alto del Perdon near Pamplona.

532063.PNG

Hitting 75 km/h descending from the Featherbeds on a Carrera Zelos when the seam on the cheap Decathlon tyre melted was a bit frightening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

KevRossi wrote: »
    Disc brakes warped a bit.
    what's that sensation like? i assumed just mad vibrations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

what's that sensation like? i assumed just mad vibrations?

No, just makes a bit of a racket as it touches off the pad at every revolution. Wears the pads down very quickly too.

The mass of the disc is too small and too near the centre to make it vibrate, the pads then act as a 'guide' to stop them warping too much. - I think that's the reason it doesn't vibrate.

It's an Ebike, cheapest one they have in that category, they obviously skimped on a couple of things like the quality of the discs. Though they were excellent on ordinary roads. I upgraded them anyway for about €50. Also changed to my old Brooks saddle even tough the original one is fine and I put Marathon Schwable Plus tyres on it (personal preference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

74kmph coming down the hill towards Tibradden wood a few years ago. Got close to it a few times, but am a bit more cautious now on the bike as I get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hit 80kph down off the Cormet De Roseland in the Etape last year, much easier to achieve on the continent than here. Generally level off around 70 on irish roads

Yeah me too! It was some descent and a beautiful road surface. 80+kph on alpine descents are far easier/safer than 70kph descents on Irish roads. Mind you, it’s the exact opposite of the roads are wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

84kmph down the sally gap toward manor kilbride, i got a speed wobble that scared the absolute sh!t out of me, never again

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Hit 85kph in the 2016 Gran Fondo NI. Closed road on a straight descent off the final climb after the Mournes. Can't see myself ever trying to match that ever again on an open road.

Skip to 3:43....

https://youtu.be/hvQ0GN4f-fM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a look at strava, no easy way to get it but managed to look by relative effort, apparently hit 84.6kmph in Scotland 8 years ago o a 9.1% descent.

Have to say, that's terrifying as I really struggled on that Audax and when I got back for a sleep I was so shook, overtired and unwell, I hopped on a train and went home 2 days early.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

69kph on bike computer, on a descent in majorca, plenty enough for me.

May have done better in closed road race, but wouldn't look down to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Strava said 84 but it was probably 79/80 looking at the data and not stravas stupid interpretation(they don't smooth at all for max). The lad ahead of me was nudging 90. Loon (says me).

07Lapierre wrote: »

Just ahead of you round after the fast bits. It was a bit quieter I think when I passed through.

Could have eked out a bit more if I'd researched the corners a bit better, plenty room to flow through

• Advertisement

Just ahead of you round after the fast bits. It was a bit quieter I think when I passed through.

Could have eked out a bit more if I'd researched the corners a bit better, plenty room to flow through

In my video you can see me swipe the screen of my Garmin. I was displaying the map, so I’d have an idea how severe the bends were. But yes, lots of cyclists around me and my skills are not sufficient to weave between them at that speed. I’m getting better though!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    In my video you can see me swipe the screen of my Garmin. I was displaying the map, so I’d have an idea how severe the bends were. But yes, lots of cyclists around me and my skills are not sufficient to weave between them at that speed. I’m getting better though!

Yeah, I do the same. I'd watched it on YouTube during the months before, should have revised better.

Definitely had the map on for Descent Notre-Dame-Pré until my tube melted on the 2nd last hairpin :mad:

Descent-Notre-Dame-Pre.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

75 coming down from roundwood to newtown, bike and me shaking like crazy, barley get my hands to he breaks to slow down
    NEVER AGAIN

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think it's the high 70s heading down into the Naul. Did finish a TT just outside Batterstown on the flat at 60 a few years ago. Fastest I've crashed at went from 40 to 44 and then 55. Plenty of scope for further improvement..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Of course Fred Rompelberg hit 268.831 km/h on the flat

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Clocked 79.6 on a hill down into Leighlinbridge (Old ??) on the Leinster Loop some years back.

Did the same route in 2019 and was determined to break 80 - built up speed down the first part of the hill, tucked in, and flew down convinced I was topping my previous speed.

Freewheeled out over the motorway bridge, and pulled up at the T-junction where our group had agreed to regroup - I wasn't the last to arrive so I took the opportunity to get a quick look at my Garmin.............79.9...... aaagh !

So I still have breaking 80 on my bucket list !

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Had plenty of 75kmh + but only few weeks ago came off bike on bend going into Enniskerry going about 60kmh. i literally landed on pad of cycling shorts and slid to stop with no damage other than few scuffs on bike and torn shorts and ass cheeks .have completely lost confidence now going down hill, Have gone over 50 since. Lucky boy

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

I got up to 91kmh on Strava descending the Wicklow Gap towards Laragh with a good tailwind. I remember hitting 93kmh on the same stretch of road pre-Strava (does that mean it didn't happen?? ;-) ). Back in 1990 while descending from Lugalla towards Roundwood I recall glancing down at my new Avocet speedo and seeing 56.5mph (91Kmh) and saying 'oh wow' then looking up to see a horse and rider enter the road from the forest on the right and shouting 'OH F*@k!!' Keep your eyes on the road folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

Beasty wrote: »
    Of course Fred Rompelberg hit 268.831 km/h on the flat

And Denise Mueller-Korenek recently smashed that record and hit 296.009km/h.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/cycling-land-speed-record-smashed-on-bonneville-salt-flats/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, but i've flagged that on strava so i expect the record to be revoked.

Advertisement