Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So this one is acting the maggot for attention.

Will a fine really affect her? Can she be arrested for breaking this rule or refused entry?

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1352359299167748096?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen an awful lot of praise for Biden's speech the other day, about how it was a bright new day for the US.

But I think the positivity was simply down to Trump being gone.

As I listened to his speech, I was thinking "he'll not achieve that .... or that ....... or that".

Speeches are all well and good, but so much of what is promised never comes to pass.
    I don't expect Biden and Harris to start changing that this term either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

pixelburp wrote: »
    Also worth pointing out that in Jan 2017, plenty of outlets were fawning over Trump too for the moment he would become "presidential". There was a brief narrative where networks kept grasping for any flicker that might have suggested Trump would stop being Trump. I think news networks will always give a new President a honeymoon period, doubly so given this one comes after a period of national chaos. America can have it for a month or two TBH. The relief is kinda palpable when speaking to Americans.

Were they? Any non-Fox examples? Not a yank so don't pay that much attention that Presidential coronation stuff but I don't think they did. Article itself names other Republicans but not Trump.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I must confess I'm surprised the US has intervened again in Syria in such a short time span since the start of Mr. Biden's admin. It does seem to signal a volte-face in America foreign policy in the region and a return to Obama era doctrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Manach wrote: »
    I must confess I'm surprised the US has intervened again in Syria in such a short time span since the start of Mr. Biden's admin. It does seem to signal a volte-face in America foreign policy in the region and a return to Obama era doctrine.

Colour me shocked. Which rebel group will the US abandon next? Perhaps the Kurds for Nth time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    FINALLY, the day has arrived!

I can hardly believe it!!

GO JoeKam!! Bring reality back to reality!

KamalJoe has a better ring to it I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m not. Trump completely abandoned the Kurds https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/trump-betrayal-of-the-kurds-927545/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Overheal wrote: »
    I doubt both your sincereity and your non-sequitor.
    It used to be the case when having tropps on another country's sovereign soil would at least raised eyebrows amonst the intelligensia. But if you are okay with the such a breach of the Westphalian order so soon in the new admin's tenure, I'm sure there will be plenty of Vox, Huffington and Rolling stone articles written to cheer that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It used to be the case when having tropps on another country's sovereign soil would at least raised eyebrows amonst the intelligensia. But if you are okay with the such a breach of the Westphalian order so soon in the new admin's tenure, I'm sure there will be plenty of Vox, Huffington and Rolling stone articles written to cheer that on.

What exactly has Biden done that you think is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Ask yourself this. Are there troops belonging to countries that are hostile to the US in Syria right now? Is Syria in a geographical location where those countries could threaten US interests or those of her allies? If the answers to those 2 questions are yes, then that's where you'll find US troops. People may not like it, but that's how countries operate and it was ever thus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Can you be specific about this intervention? I've no idea what's going on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nice to see Joe has already turned his back on the voters of Pennsylvania and flip flopped on not banning fracking. Not a great start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Nice to see Joe has already turned his back on the voters of Pennsylvania and flip flopped on not banning fracking. Not a great start
    What are you on about?

Biden stated during the campaign that no new permits for fracking on federal land would be issued. Where is Biden's flip flop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The smell of desperation to latch on to something to have a pop at is actually quite funny tbf, have at it folks!

Course, due to boy who cried wolf complex it will actually only serve to lessen the impact when the Biden administration does something that is genuinely worthy of serious criticism which you would think is the opposite to what will be the goal for the next 4 years?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

At least he wanted their votes counted, unlike the Republicans who wanted their votes ignored. Hopefully the voters of Pennsylvania remember that.

At least he wanted their votes counted, unlike the Republicans who wanted their votes ignored. Hopefully the voters of Pennsylvania remember that.

This isnt a thread for discussing previous presidents. Can we have a thread where the response to every criticism of biden isnt met with ‘but trump’

This isnt a thread for discussing previous presidents. Can we have a thread where the response to every criticism of biden isnt met with ‘but trump’
    I responded to the substance of your post.

Where was Biden's flip flop?

What are you on about?

Biden stated during the campaign that no new permits for fracking on federal land would be issued. Where is Biden's flip flop?

He’s held about 8 separate positions on fracking during that campaign but now is showing his anti oil and gas strategy.

Im not sure if he campaigned for it or not but culling keystone XL is an insane move, the US is going to go back to being dependent on more and more foreign countries for fuel, which I suppose goes hand in hand with the likely oil war policy he propped up during the obama days

He’s held about 8 separate positions on fracking during that campaign but now is showing his anti oil and gas strategy.

Im not sure if he campaigned for it or not but culling keystone XL is an insane move, the US is going to go back to being dependent on more and more foreign countries for fuel, which I suppose goes hand in hand with the likely oil war policy he propped up during the obama days
    Yes, it's clear that you're not sure about what Biden campaigned for. And also quite telling that your post about him "flip flopping" echoes Trump Jr. and the rest of the right-wing echo chamber.

Yes, it's clear that you're not sure about what Biden campaigned for. And also quite telling that your post about him "flip flopping" echoes Trump Jr. and the rest of the right-wing echo chamber.

Im just dealing with biden on the face of it, nothing to do with trump

• Advertisement

He hasn't flip flopped on fracking, there's plenty of articles that outline his position as a ban on any new fracking on federal land. These are from during the campaign, and before the election. Trump lied about his position at the time, and Trump Jr. and right-wing Twitter users are now lying about the same thing.

Biden has carried out a campaign promise with this, he hasn't flip flopped.

You claimed he flip flopped. He didn't. Your gotcha moment failed miserably. In terms of Keystone, he's following wisest route given long term implications of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well, you'll be delighted to hear that Biden had a phone call with Trudeau today. Climate change collaboration figured prominently in the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Brian? wrote: »
    Can you be specific about this intervention? I've no idea what's going on.
    Had a look around online and this article seems to summarise it.

The i24news report mentioned within is here, US military convoy enters northeast Syria: report.

The key take away from the latter is:
    Other local media report that such maneuvers are not unusual as the US often moves transfers equipment between Iraq and Syria.

As you can imagine, trying to source information on troop movements in Syria isn't exactly easy but there are a couple of articles from the last 12 months that correspond to similar incidents in the area. VoA had this piece from January, Pakistani newspaper The Nation had this piece from April, SoHR had this from May which, it should be pointed out, has oddly similar numbers of troops mentioned in the i24 piece and then in October this was this brief piece from A24.

Meanwhile on Twitter, off the back of this thread, Jack Posobiec is jumping on the bandwagon with stuff like this and there now seems to be an effort to tie it into Biden's recent cancellation of the Keystone XL pipeline with statements like this.

...which I've just noticed as been mentioned here before I hit the Submit button. How interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Has that been confirmed?

https://www.jpost.com/international/false-claims-in-syria-biden-will-start-war-as-us-presence-there-rejected-656440

The conspiracy theory that claims Biden “invaded” Syria or sent a US convoy there on his “first day” is a misreading of events. The US supplies its forces in eastern Syria with trucks often sent from the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq. This is a tenuous logistics pipeline for US personnel and Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve. Those who follow these movements call them routine. There is no evidence of an increased US footprint, a change in posture or tempo of operations.

[Edit. Beaten to it by Gizmo when I was researching... Curses!]

I would also note I don't see any merit to the US changing its policy in Syria. What would be the intended endstate of such a move and how would it be practically effected?

You claimed he flip flopped. He didn't. Your gotcha moment failed miserably. In terms of Keystone, he's following wisest route given long term implications of it.

Its not a gotcha moment. I still firmly believe Keystone XL and fracking is the US’s best shot at energy independence and absolutely the most efficient way to deliver energy to the nation. I think bidens foolishness on this issue wont be fully realised until another nation the US will depend on energy from has some issues or a price hike.

Its not a gotcha moment. I still firmly believe Keystone XL and fracking is the US’s best shot at energy independence and absolutely the most efficient way to deliver energy to the nation. I think bidens foolishness on this issue wont be fully realised until another nation the US will depend on energy from has some issues or a price hike.
    Then why falsely frame it as a "flip flop", implying hypocrisy and dishonesty?

If your problem is purely with his policy position, why do you also need to claim that it's a flip flop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you going to walk back your wording of flip flop which is wildly wrong or continue to move your own language further away whilst still pretending your original point was true.

Shall we wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I'll give it about 3 weeks until they've moved onto budgets, debts and deficits. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He hasn't flip flopped on fracking, there's plenty of articles that outline his position as a ban on any new fracking on federal land. These are from during the campaign, and before the election. Trump lied about his position at the time, and Trump Jr. and right-wing Twitter users are now lying about the same thing.

Biden has carried out a campaign promise with this, he hasn't flip flopped.
    Does he think Trump is still president? Because that's the only way of it being a flip-flop.

Advertisement