Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Manach wrote: »
    I must confess I'm surprised the US has intervened again in Syria in such a short time span since the start of Mr. Biden's admin. It does seem to signal a volte-face in America foreign policy in the region and a return to Obama era doctrine.

Any chance you could tell us what kind of media you're consuming that would make you think that this is true?

I know it was on youtube videos by 911 and Syria truthers and other cesspits of misinformation but I expected you to know better for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its not a gotcha moment. I still firmly believe Keystone XL and fracking is the US’s best shot at energy independence and absolutely the most efficient way to deliver energy to the nation. I think bidens foolishness on this issue wont be fully realised until another nation the US will depend on energy from has some issues or a price hike.

Where in this is the flip-flop? Think it's a pretty clear question. You were implying Biden had gone back on prior support for fracking, seems an easy one to back up. Your personal spitball doesn't really come into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This isnt a thread for discussing previous presidents. Can we have a thread where the response to every criticism of biden isnt met with ‘but trump’

No backseat modding please. Report a post if you have a problem please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nice to see Joe has already turned his back on the voters of Pennsylvania and flip flopped on not banning fracking. Not a great start

Swing and a miss. He never said he’d ban fracking unfortunately. He was quite clear he wouldn’t ban it in the debates.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

pixelburp wrote: »
    Where in this is the flip-flop? Think it's a pretty clear question. You were implying Biden had gone back on prior support for fracking, seems an easy one to back up. Your personal spitball doesn't really come into it.

The flip-flop claim has been doing the rounds on places like facebook, dailytruthreport and Jack Posobiec's twitter for the past 24 hours. The same sorts of places where you would find Stop the Steal nonsense.

• Advertisement

Colour me shocked. Which rebel group will the US abandon next? Perhaps the Kurds for Nth time.

Colour you hoodwinked, yet again. Biden hasn’t done a thing in Syria it seems.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Biden hugging and embracing his grandchildren in the White House is a worrying insight into American attitudes to the virus.

And people wanted to blame Trump on everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Biden hugging and embracing his grandchildren in the White House is a worrying insight into American attitudes to the virus.

They're probably in a support bubble, no more than we have them here. Am using one myself with the in laws. Given Biden has worn his mask at most public events let's presume they know what they're doing instead of reaching for some kind of hypocrisy angle.

You seem to be worried about a lot of petty things. It’s almost as if you have an agenda to push

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Another day another bout of faux outrage from you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Can you at least try harder? Like make an attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is close to trolling at this point.

If not, it's a completely deranged mindset.

They're probably in a support bubble, no more than we have them here. Am using one myself with the in laws. Given Biden has worn his mask at most public events let's presume they know what they're doing instead of reaching for some kind of hypocrisy angle.

I've not seen any leader in Europe being pictured hugging their grandchildren. World leaders will meet countless people, so my guess is that forming a bubble with extended family members isn't the wisest thing to do.

It's an insight into American attitudes to the virus I feel.

This is close to trolling at this point.

If not, it's a completely deranged mindset.

Grandparents in Ireland aren't hugging their grandchildren at the moment.

So from an Irish point of view, seeing this so publicly looks odd during a pandemic.

I think you mentioned you live in America, so perhaps you can't see from our point of view.

Another day another bout of faux outrage from you :rolleyes:

This isn't outrage.

It's a comment.

Grandparents in Ireland aren't hugging their grandchildren at the moment.

So from an Irish point of view, seeing this so publicly looks odd during a pandemic.

I think you mentioned you live in America, so perhaps you can't see from our point of view.

How do you know this? You know the support bubble of every grandparent in Ireland?

How do you know this? You know the support bubble of every grandparent in Ireland?

Support bubbles are different.

Any hint of negative comment on Biden and you get countless replies attacking you.

One has to question whether the Democrats are now a cult in Ireland?

Support bubbles are different.

So how do you know Bidens grandchildren are not part of his bubble?

Any hint of negative comment on Biden and you get countless replies attacking you.

No one is "attacking" you so stop being a petty little snowflake, you make claims/comments and people pull you up on them. You claim to not be a Trump supporter yet supported him at every turn.

Every post you make is a silly little dig at Biden and when shown you are wrong you just skip to the next silly thing.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Bring a legitimate complaint rather than this dijon mustard-level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No one is "attacking" you so stop being a petty little snowflake, you make claims/comments and people pull you up on them. You claim to not be a Trump supporter yet supported him at every turn.

Every post you make is a silly little dig at Biden and when shown you are wrong you just skip to the next silly thing.

Pathetic.

He wants to post unchallenged, free to say anything without anyone pulling him up on it.
    Trump like you might say.

Pathetic.

I'm not wrong. American attitudes to the virus is clearly catastrophic.

Hugging grandchildren so publicly as well as the large and unnecessary gathering for the inauguration itself, with hundreds flying in from everywhere, indicates to me, that Americans don't really give a toss about the virus.

Wear masks is the solution. And that's it.

I've not seen any leader in Europe being pictured hugging their grandchildren. World leaders will meet countless people, so my guess is that forming a bubble with extended family members isn't the wisest thing to do.

It's an insight into American attitudes to the virus I feel.

Again, support bubbles are allowed in our own current lockdown rules so yes, grandparents can feasibly share physical space with their grandchildren. Can't speak to US rules of the same applies there. And as said, my own in laws are our sole Support bubble, happily hugging their own 3mo grandson.

You choose to focus on one single event without factoring in context, history or background to make a point, so it says as much about your own bias as anything TBH. Maybe the messaging is muddled at best, but that's again only if you choose to ignore the (likely) context of action. And I'm certainly not au fait with European poltiics to say with certainty how other leaders are behaving TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

I'm not wrong. American attitudes to the virus is clearly catastrophic.

Hugging grandchildren so publicly as well as the large and unnecessary gathering for the inauguration itself, with hundreds flying in from everywhere, indicates to me, that Americans don't really give a toss about the virus.

Wear masks is the solution. And that's it.

400,000 people died there and they held a memorial. Has Ireland held a memorial for the victims? so who cares more?

US, Canada as such are figuring out how to manage a restricted opening for its residents. Yes US has made it a cluster mess as you know who was at the helm but they have a plan - its a restricted opening. Meanwhile in Ireland its Open, Close, Close, Open, Close, Open, Close - I mean what a mess. There's only 6 million people here compared to hundreds of millions in other countries and they cant figure it out here. Come on.

400,000 people died there and they held a memorial. Has Ireland held a memorial for the victims? so who cares more?

US, Canada as such are figuring out how to manage a restricted opening for its residents. Yes US has made it a cluster mess as you know who was at the helm but they have a plan - its a restricted opening. Meanwhile in Ireland its Open, Close, Close, Open, Close, Open, Close - I mean what a mess. There's only 6 million people here compared to hundreds of millions in other countries and they cant figure it out here. Come on.

A memorial when the pandemic isn't even over was a publicity stunt.

Americans great for memorials and praying but aren't so great when it comes to looking after their vulnerable citizens.

Edit.. and the reason Ireland hasn't held a memorial is because large gatherings aren't advisable at the moment.

Americans great for memorials and praying but aren't so great when it comes to looking after their vulnerable citizens.

yeah you have a valid point that it was just for show. but a less cynical opinion might be that it was the Biden administration's way of remembering the victims. Its up to yourself how you want to look at it.

Edit.. and the reason Ireland hasn't held a memorial is because large gatherings aren't advisable at the moment.

It can be two things you know. Yes it was a publicity stunt - that much is obvious - but it was also a very public declaration that against the previous admin, which never actually acknowledged the suffering of its citizens, the Biden would actually take the pandemic seriously and understood the terrible milestone passed. And against the later news that Trump had NO ACTUAL plan for distributing the vaccines, or even the stockpiles they claimed to have, there needed to be a clear message sent that the new boss gave a shít. Yes it's glib and cheesy but also important at the same time, even if nominally superficial.

It can be two things you know. Yes it was a publicity stunt - that much is obvious - but it was also a very public declaration that against the previous admin, which never actually acknowledged the suffering of its citizens, the Biden would actually take the pandemic seriously and understood the terrible milestone passed. And against the later news that Trump had NO ACTUAL plan for distributing the vaccines, or even the stockpiles they claimed to have, there needed to be a clear message sent that the new boss gave a shít. Yes it's glib and cheesy but also important at the same time, even if nominally superficial.

good points

• Advertisement

they could have a virtual one. I think its because they never even though of it to be honest.

Advertisement