Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Gbear wrote: »
    It's quite a bit worse than that.

If he had done the bare minmium in handling covid he would've almost certainly been reelected. That's literally all he had to do.

All the other stuff would've been ignored. The fact that he was a fascist and a criminal barely moved the needle for his followers and the vast bulk of the Republican party base.

Most executives and governments had a bump in popularity from Covid; even Italy, where it was a total disaster from the get go. If Trump had done basic stuff around messaging, mask-wearing, avoided holding mass infection events, not peddling conspiracy theories or pushing snake oil, he would've walked the election.

From a political standpoint, Covid was a gift to Trump. What he showed is that there really is a difference between being utterly incompetent and not being utterly incompetent, and there are limits to what even the American public will accept.

Said it many times, Covid was not in anyway his fault. All he had to do was appoint the right people and stay on message with them. Instead he decided to politicise it at the start then lost interest when it was obvious it was out of control

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gbear wrote: »
    It's quite a bit worse than that.

If he had done the bare minmium in handling covid he would've almost certainly been reelected. That's literally all he had to do.

All the other stuff would've been ignored. The fact that he was a fascist and a criminal barely moved the needle for his followers and the vast bulk of the Republican party base.

Most executives and governments had a bump in popularity from Covid; even Italy, where it was a total disaster from the get go. If Trump had done basic stuff around messaging, mask-wearing, avoided holding mass infection events, not peddling conspiracy theories or pushing snake oil, he would've walked the election.

From a political standpoint, Covid was a gift to Trump. What he showed is that there really is a difference between being utterly incompetent and not being utterly incompetent, and there are limits to what even the American public will accept.

Yeah I thought that. He just needed to give prepared speeches and generally keep quiet.

The policy of allowing states to do what they want is a policy that is supported in America, so he wouldn't have lost support for that.

Instead, he couldn't help himself with ridiculous press conferences. He eventually stopped the press conferences, as I think he even realised he had become a laughing stock.

Resistance to lockdown and other measures would have happened in America anyway, as it happened in every country. So again all he had to do was to keep his mouth shut and mention "thoughts and prayers". Lots of Americans want to hear this, but are clearly unwilling to give increased funding to health services etc.

If trump had have kept shtum on anything to do with mail in ballots Im convinced he would have had it in the bag. I think thats what really did him in.

Absolutely, between that and his tweeting/rudeness.

The fact that he seemed not to realise this confirms that he isn't that bright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait now, Donald Trump was so inept at feigning humanity he couldn't even "do well" from a natural disaster, generally seen as pretty straightforward political wins (as callous as that reads). Ok, Bush Jr kinda ballsed up Katrina but Trump continuously showed an inability to behave with even the bare modicum of empathy or decorum. Maria and other events convinced me that he neither cares not understands people on any kind of basic emotional level. Maria itself should have been a slam dunk yet got into a war with Porto Ricos mayor, then pivoted to conspiracy that the death toll was a Democrat ploy. When not tossing paper towels like basketballs.

I somewhat agree that Trump could have won had he kept his head down - but that's a line of logic that runs counter to Trump's key state of being. The alcoholic would be fine if it weren't for the drinking. 2020 was always coming, the signs were always there.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait now, Donald Trump was so inept at feigning humanity he couldn't even "do well" from a natural disaster, generally seen as pretty straightforward political wins (as callous as that reads). Ok, Bush Jr kinda ballsed up Katrina but Trump continuously showed an inability to behave with even the bare modicum of empathy or decorum. Maria and other events convinced me that he neither cares not understands people on any kind of basic emotional level. Maria itself should have been a slam dunk yet got into a war with Porto Ricos mayor, then pivoted to conspiracy that the death toll was a Democrat ploy. When not tossing paper towels like basketballs.

I somewhat agree that Trump could have won had he kept his head down - but that's a line of logic that runs counter to Trump's key state of being. The alcoholic would be fine if it weren't for the drinking. 2020 was always coming, the signs were always there.

Trump was and is an idiot.

He forgot that he had to be popular to win an election. The first rule of a politician is to be popular. That means you "fake it". Politicians do it all the time. He didn't have the brains to realise this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well Biden doesn't fake it. What you see is what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Water John wrote: »
    A beautiful silver tongued speaker or should i say a damn good speech writer just like Obama had and everyone was taken in by it. Maybe some of the speech writers should run for office !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A beautiful silver tongued speaker or should i say a damn good speech writer just like Obama had and everyone was taken in by it. Maybe some of the speech writers should run for office !!

But Trump was one of the best orators of all time???

duploelabs wrote: »
    But Trump was one of the best orators of all time???

No, dreadful but he didnt employ a good speech writer, the dems always do polished succinct and coached delivery super. Everyone in awe of the brilliance of the man but what did he do in 47 years? I cant pin point any real result from him , he is likeable smiley probably knows a lot of Delaware folks by first name as he has been voted back in long enough but what out standing thing has he done. I am not against him i am just looking at a career politician who has bode his time and eventually got in place bit like Michael Martin. Thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, dreadful but he didnt employ a good speech writer, the dems always do polished succinct and coached delivery super. Everyone in awe of the brilliance of the man but what did he do in 47 years? I cant pin point any real result from him , he is likeable smiley probably knows a lot of Delaware folks by first name as he has been voted back in long enough but what out standing thing has he done. I am not against him i am just looking at a career politician who has bode his time and eventually got in place bit like Michael Martin. Thats all.

Stephen Millar will be deeply offended.
    BTW the Obama Care Act wouldn't have been passed except for Biden. A small achievement You will say but very important to millions of Americans both Dems and GOP supporters.

• Advertisement

Stephen Millar will be deeply offended.
    Stephen might have written some good stuff but Trumpys tendency to ad Lib and go off topic ruined his written word and the strategic points he was trying to make. So if Trumpy was a little more obedient like Joe it might have come across better.

Stephen might have written some good stuff but Trumpys tendency to ad Lib and go off topic ruined his written word and the strategic points he was trying to make. So if Trumpy was a little more obedient like Joe it might have come across better.
    Point to me some of the examples of Steven Millers work that you think is good

I wont write anything from his work as it polarizes especially the immigrant policies and i am on probation here ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wont write anything from his work as it polarizes especially the immigrant policies and i am on probation here ok

Mod: Please be constructive. Your being on probation is not constructive. Thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It wouldn’t have mattered if his speech writers were good or bad. Trump at times refused to read what in the teleprompter so the speeches could have good but we will never know.

This would be a first for a politician.

He's a continuity politician. He won't rock the boat, pro establishment domestically. The all American man. He'll be hoping to get re elected in 2024.

Meanwhile, I await to see what he does on foreign policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pixelburp wrote: »

They were, but he had prior to that been possibly the luckiest president in a century. The question was always about what would happen if he faced a crisis but for much of his presidency none were forthcoming. Bush and Obama, whatever you think of them, either inherited or immediately faced massive crises.

Trump had a layup of a presidency until Covid. He cocked things up with abandon, but mostly he could just hang around, steal money and play golf without too much immediately degenerating. A literal dog could've done a better job. Covid changed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He's much healthier than the last president by a long shot. I'm actually looking forward to the conspiracies in a year or two that Biden has died and they are using a stand in/double for whatever reason.

There is already a theory being widely circulated in QAnon circles that the Joe Biden in the Joe Biden inauguration was a hologram.

his foreign policy will be to give the armaments industry a leg up so he will go to war as soon as he can they are big donaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

his foreign policy will be to give the armaments industry a leg up so he will go to war as soon as he can they are big donaters.

Its like you don't even bother looking before posting :rolleyes:

Its getting embarrassing now.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/356df221-251f-4eba-a307-88e485ef1d45
    The White House has suspended arms sales agreed by Donald Trump to two Gulf allies, the first significant move by President Joe Biden to reset US relations with Sunni Arab regimes heavily courted by his predecessor.

missed that one thanks soo much for the link. Its so informative to come onto this forum you learn so much from other posters thank you again .

missed that one thanks soo much for the link. Its so informative to come onto this forum you learn so much from other posters thank you again .

You'll be glad to hear know then that following the Americans lead, the Italian government have done the same with the two countries, so yes it's great to defund the weapons industry

Well they had very good profits during the trump administration, $175 billion in 2020 alone.
    Maybe not such a good year for them under Biden given his potential reversal of sales to the likes of Saudi Arabia and the UAE depending on how the review goes after the current freeze put in place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He's a continuity politician. He won't rock the boat, pro establishment domestically. The all American man. He'll be hoping to get re elected in 2024.

Meanwhile, I await to see what he does on foreign policy.

I thought that Biden said he's only standing for one term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

robinph wrote: »

I think he's been the fence on the matter. If you google 'Biden one term' you should see articles from late 2019 hunting at one term, and from the summer hinting at two. I only took a quick look but couldn't find any definitive statement from him in either direction.

I recall Michael D saying the same thing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I hope he gets 3 or 4 terms, the Republican voters won't have an issue with that will they? They cheered Trump everytime he hinted at staying on indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I recall Michael D saying the same thing here.

Big difference between a glorified diplomat role and the US presidency.

Biden's never stated, so far as I'm aware, that he was only going to sit for one term. It's mostly just been inferred because of his age, and the sense that he's unrepresentative of the party, but only he'll be able to decide on the former, and the latter doesn't really wash given that he strolled the primaries.

The USP of Biden was always going to be about his cincilliatory nature and the ability to build a competent administration around him, rather than his own personal vigour. However, he'll be 82 in November 2024, which you could argue is just too old to function at the level required of the US president.

At any rate, there needs to be a consensus within the Democratic party about where he's at leading into the election campaign. They can't afford a situation where Kamala and others attempt to primary him.

• Advertisement

Every US politician fakes it. Biden is a master of his trade by now.

He won't run in 2024. It'll be Harris, I suspect.

Advertisement