Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, Obama did not a lot to advance the lot of minorities. Thatcher did nothing to advance the lot of women - it could actually be said she put the plight of women back by a decade. It was President LB Johnson who did most for the African-Americans through legislating for them.

Biden has a year to tackle voter suppression, the imbalance in the Supreme Court, and the GOP advantage in the Senate. His chance of success is close to nil on all of them, but he might succeed with one or perhaps two. If he could increase the number of SC judges by four or five, that might wo of the three. Making Washington a State and also Puerto Rica a state would increase the Senate to 104, with the extra ones likely being Dems. If he gets those two, then the SC could tackle voter suppression.

As I say, a single one would be fantastic. Democracy coming to the USA.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Biden has been President for 7 months, during a pandemic, and you’re ready to right him off. It’s almost as if you were never actually ready to give him a chance.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sure Brian, lets pretend that the Democrats haven't shown themselves repeatedly incapable of getting out of their own way. Lets pretend that the likelihood isn't that the Republicans retake one or both Houses. Your inability to accept criticisms of Biden is puzzling.

I’ll accept plenty of criticism of Biden. He was flat wrong to support Israel recently for example.

I'm taking issue with the hyperbole though. You’re writing off Biden’s presidency 7 months in. You’re constantly attacking him for not doing things he either never said he’d do or can’t so. I find it puzzling that you haven’t acknowledged a single good thing he’s done, he’s done a few.

they/them/theirs

You could read back a few pages to see me praising him for pulling out of Afghanistan. He hasn't delivered on most of what he ran on, and given the inability of the Senate Democrats to get their **** together, he's unlikely to. There's very high chance that the Republicans retake the Senate and possibly the House, in which case that's all she wrote for policy ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was disappointed to hear Mark Little say when he interviewed Biden, he had to just listen to Biden, and Biden never listened to him. He said Biden does not listen - and that is very serious for a President that he does not listen.

To me, that is an appalling vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Predictably, the squawking and caterwauling from the GQP continued apace on the US Sunday shows today, with greasy Lady Graham heading up the mob lambasting Biden for the state of world affairs in Afghanistan. His intellectual toadying & dishonesty gets worse day by day.

Perhaps, alternative viewpoints are not getting sufficiently well-aired by the Administration, as it is still deep in the mire of a 20-years deluge of excrement and trying to manage its country out of that sewer. Pending Congressional hearings to try to make sense of all that (if that's even possible), this opinion piece from USA Today may offer some sense in the interim. Not that any such attempt at sense will ever make the oleaginous Lady G appear to be anything other than a slieveen of low standards. ( BTW, I can't wait for the Q-crowd to publish the Lady G photos, when its his turn to become another speed bump for buses!)

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5639051001?__twitter_impression=true

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He hasn't delivered on most of what he ran on

Again - He's in Office 7 Months!!!!

Lots to criticize him on without question , but complaining that " He hasn't delivered on most of what he ran on" is beyond disingenuous after being in office for 7 months out of the 48 of his full tenure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I don't think Biden has set the world alight (though there's a fair argument that this wasn't the appeal of his candidature in the first place), but judging his administration after 7 months seems premature. The midterms is the earliest IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The same people screaming

"He hasn't delivered on most of what he ran on"

will also gloss over the fact that TFG and indeed most presidents rarely get to deliver on most of the promises they make in the run up to being elected.

Wether that's down to not having control of the houses or just the sheer impossibility of getting it done is a moot point to them.

I'm still waiting for Trump to announce his healthcare plan, you know, the one he promised would be out in 2 weeks......back in 2016 sometime.

• Advertisement

Apart from simply not being Trump, one of Biden's main claims to the 'throne' was his skill in bi-partisan negotiations. Sadly, he has largely been unable to practice those skills, as Q has taken over the Former GOP, and they are in scorched earth mode to try and claw power back in 2022.

ALL pre-election 'promises' are largely moot at this stage, as the political landscape has become so toxic since Insurrection Day. Its now down to a battle for survival, with only a couple of meaningful issues that he needs to focus on:

1. Get the Dems in line

2. Voting Rights

3. Supreme Court

4. Covid

5. The Economy

Saying it's unfair to criticize Biden ignores the reality of what he faces. Covid has obviously consumed the majority of his bandwidth to date, however the messagiyhas been clear from all parties in the Senate as to what the future holds. Sinema and Manchin will not support getting rid of the filibuster. Therefore efforts at electoral reform are dead. Healthcare reform, likely dead. Environmental action perhaps, but unlikely given the overall position of Republicans.

Are expecting some sea change in Republican sentiment? They have clearly stated they will not work with Biden, as they refused to do with Obama. So that being the case, it's hardly precipitous to state that his agenda is a wash.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No one is saying it's unfair to criticize him , far from it.

But claiming that he's failing because he hasn't implemented a majority of his campaign promises is rightly being called out as disingenuous.

Your points about the challenges he faces are well made , but they are challenges to be faced not ones already lost beyond recovery.

If you acknowledge the general truth of the timeline with respect to elections and such, how is it disingenuous say that his policy efforts face failure? What do you see changing that would lead to success?

I very much hope that isn't the case. I don't have any confidence that Biden and the Democrats can deliver.

This is a mustard suit level scandal. Impeachment time.

they/them/theirs

Is a Mustard suit level higher or lower than a Tan suit level?

Asking for a friend...

Well, they're out! a day ahead of schedule, and over 114,000 evacuated PLUS thousands of US troops and hundreds of diplomats...

Oh, and one utter gobshite and his 101 dalmations (or whatever the mutts are...)

Oh, and the 'apparent glancing' did NOT occur DURING the ceremony... An automatic, reflexive and very momentary gesture occurred immediately AFTER the ceremony was over... But why let a non-event fact get in the way of a mountainous sQueak..

Sad!

Now that the U.S. presence at the airport is no more, I wonder will Eric now re-start his 'cheap as chips' $6,500 per person 'humanitarian flights' (a.k.a. 'Inter-Railing') from Kabul?

Gap in the market now Eric!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is what is across the ballot in terms of choice for American voters.

No evidence, 60 odd cases thrown out, apologies and retractions from those who made such claims and lawsuits against them for doing so and still they go on with pedalling these falsehoods to pander to radicalised people. Less than 12 months after uncovered plots against state Governors to murder them, insurrection attempts at the Capitol and bomb scares, an elected representative is coming out with this type of nonsense.

The Democrats should have a media strategist to coordinate the responses to these events and not just leave them to journalists to flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

"the Harris scenario is very messy, how do you persuade her to step aside? And if you do, can it really be for a white man?"

Johnson's father was a Black Nova Scotian, with a small amount of Irish ancestry. His mother is Samoan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Nobody has to be asked to step aside there is a primary for the choice to be made. Harris being VP doesn’t make her the next nomination.

I really don’t want to see the Rock going for it as America needs a proper president who knows how politics works. We’ve endured 4 years of nonsense from the White House and America needs to push on from where it is and I doubt an ex wrestler is the man to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont watch American news but I gather CNN are going hard on Biden most likely because of Jake Tapper but they arent getting behind any other Democrats. at least it shakes things up a bit

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Opinion piece today in the NY Times that talks about the nonsense from the Democrats in their refusal to use Reconciliation to pass the Voting Rights Act and other pieces of legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Plus it points out the fallacy in the line that 'CNN are the same as Fox' when they go full on with their Republican propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldnt agree, CNN was not a proper News network when Trump was in office. Whats changed their minds now who knows, they lost their business model.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Don't agree. They are different ends of the same tail

Yeah. Her only chance thankfully is if the incumbent dies or is retired

Indeed the shock from some people on how CNN or MSNBC are actually willing to call out Biden for mistakes when they occur , you know like a real news outlet is quite telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

MSNBC is the exact same as Fox. A mouthpiece for their party and their fawning coverage of Biden, Dems has been hilariously over the top. Some of the drivel Joy Reid has said and posted is up their with Jennifer Rubin's ramblings, then of course the "Never Trumpers" who pop up everywhere on the channel whose devotion to Biden is cult like.

Its an absolute waste of time for anyone bar the partisan loons.

CNN is different for sure, its clearly leans towards the Dem party and you suspect they are fighting the urge to turn into a lapdog channel like MSNBC but they still have decent journos their especially Tapper who is elite.

Its such a shame that these networks have to cater for echo chamber twits whether left or right, but sadly that is where the money is now.

Advertisement