Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Listened to half an hour of the interview with Biden and Harris last night, CNN. It was so refreshing. Every question dealt with clearly and coherently. US is lucky to have them at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

100 days of mask wearing. Is there some logic in asking the public to wear them for 100 days.

Surely he should be advising them to wear them until told otherwise as advised by the medical experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

100 days of mask wearing. Is there some logic in asking the public to wear them for 100 days.

Surely he should be advising them to wear them until told otherwise as advised by the medical experts.

asking people to do something with no end in sight doesn't go down well.
    asking people to wear them with no end in signt, when a vaccine is on the way, won't go down well.

In general I agree with your point - but when trying to get public buy in, you have to make things seem short term, or people won't do it.

100 Days will be seen to coincide with the vaccine distribution so masks off as immunity comes into play to a large degree, or at least that will be the plan/hope and advertised thought process.

You'll still get people who won't wear them because they don't care about anyone, but those people are lost.

asking people to do something with no end in sight doesn't go down well.
    asking people to wear them with no end in signt, when a vaccine is on the way, won't go down well.

In general I agree with your point - but when trying to get public buy in, you have to make things seem short term, or people won't do it.

100 Days will be seen to coincide with the vaccine distribution so masks off as immunity comes into play to a large degree, or at least that will be the plan/hope and advertised thought process.

You'll still get people who won't wear them because they don't care about anyone, but those people are lost.

Just how bad is mask usage in America? Because they keep banging on about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The logic is that medical experts advise wearing masks during a pandemic.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    The logic is that medical experts advise wearing masks during a pandemic.

So Biden is going on a solo run with this 100 day pledge and target?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So Biden is going on a solo run with this 100 day pledge and target?

In the US there's a big focus for a new administration on their "1st 100 Days" and what they achieve in that timeframe - Appointments made and approved in the Senate , Amount of Legislation submitted to Congress etc. etc.

So it would look like he's framing the mask request in a similar vein - "Everyone wear a mask for the next 100 days and see what that gets us" kind of approach.

That way when they doing all their "What did the President achieve in his 1st 100 Days" reviews , they can include some data that proves that universal mask wearing has an impact.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    In the US there's a big focus for a new administration on their "1st 100 Days" and what they achieve in that timeframe - Appointments made and approved in the Senate , Amount of Legislation submitted to Congress etc. etc.

So it would look like he's framing the mask request in a similar vein - "Everyone wear a mask for the next 100 days and see what that gets us" kind of approach.

That way when they doing all their "What did the President achieve in his 1st 100 Days" reviews , they can include some data that proves that universal mask wearing has an impact.

I understand the US persists with this 100 days nonsense, but surely Covid should be separate from such publicity stunts.

And aren't masks supposed to be worn now.

A bizarre intervention from Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I understand the US persists with this 100 days nonsense, but surely Covid should be separate from such publicity stunts.

And thern is the important word, yes they are but Americans have this silly notion that their personal freedom (this differs from person to person) overrules such nonsense as wearing masks and being socially distant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not really , it's an attempt to meet the dissenters in the middle.

"Give me 100 days to show you the benefits"

It's better than the Trump approach which was - "Wear them if you like , I probably won't though , don't think I look good in them"

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call it a publicity stunt, it's a goal to reduce the spread of covid while a vaccine is awaited. In much the same way as every country gets an idea of how long measures will be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭moon2

I couldn't agree more. What are your thoughts on trump politicizing the wearing of masks over the last 6+ months and turning them into a big publicity stunt?

It's great that Biden is doing what he can to counter Trump's nonsense and promote safety and mask wearing :) the 100 days target is a great way to kickstart this!

Not really , it's an attempt to meet the dissenters in the middle.

"Give me 100 days to show you the benefits"

It's better than the Trump approach which was - "Wear them if you like , I probably won't though , don't think I look good in them"

So the 100 day thing has nothing to do with medical advice?

There is a 9/11 worth of deaths in US every day now due to Covid. Why in God's name are there people getting into a huff about mask wearing?

It's one of the few ways to slow the spread until vaccines are widely taken.

At least half of these deaths are on Trump (when deathrate is compared to a normal country like Ireland) who whether he likes it or not is in charge. Tho I suspect he might struggle to spell the word responsibility.

Thousands further deaths are also on him as he is refusing to cooperate in a transition and come up with any plan for Covid.

Issue is whether Biden is going to respect medical advice or go on solo runs advising the public to wear masks for 100 days as soon as he enters office.

Even though mask usage is very high in the big cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So the 100 day thing has nothing to do with medical advice?

You know it feels like you're trying to generate some kind of controversy here but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Issue is whether Biden is going to respect medical advice or go on solo runs advising the public to wear masks for 100 days as soon as he enters office.

Fairly sure that the medical advice is to wear masks so it wouldn't be a solo run. More a way to try and start to fix the ****up trump made of this by calling it a conspiracy etc and fuelling the type of idiots that follow him.

Think of it this way..

It's like when you are trying to feed your stroppy infant children.

You tell them "Just one more bite" knowing that it's really not and that you and they are going to be at that table until the bowl is empty.

Biden had consulted Fauci and his own Covid team, so it's no stunt, just a measure to have real impact. Sadly. the US had to wait until Jan 20th for a responsible adult to be in charge again.

You know it feels like you're trying to generate some kind of controversy here but I'm not quite sure what it is.

No controversy can be generated by me.

Just wondering was Biden's pledge based on medical advice or not?

Think of it this way..

It's like when you are trying to feed your stroppy infant children.

You tell them "Just one more bite" knowing that it's really not and that you and they are going to be at that table until the bowl is empty.

Is this the medical advice now in America? Just one more bite...

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Biden had consulted Fauci and his own Covid team, so it's no stunt, just a measure to have real impact. Sadly. the US had to wait until Jan 20th for a responsible adult to be in charge again.

Other than mask usage for 100 days, which is already in place anyway, what new measures can we expect from Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Wud ya ever give over with yer ould belligerent, truth-twisting ****e?

You've spent 4 years covering for a crook and liar, demonised reasonable people and their logic-based arguments, and basically prostituted ANY intellectual capital you might otherwise have had, in servitude to a cult and a RICO- inspired attempt to take down the very democracy that USED TO underpin the U.S. of A. When you demonstrate an iota of objectivity, not ****e straight out of Q-Anan, OANN and the Hannity/Carlson wings of Fox News, I'll be interested to analyse something/ANYTHING Biden-related that you might offer..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I call Bull****!

That's EXACTLY what you're trying to do! Create controversy and derail the thread.

Not inteterested here, m8!!!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Wud ya ever give over with yer ould belligerent, truth-twisting ****e?

You've spent 4 years covering for a crook and liar, demonised reasonable people and their logic-based arguments, and basically prostituted ANY intellectual capital you might otherwise have had, in servitude to a cult and a RICO- inspired attempt to take down the very democracy that USED TO underpin the U.S. of A. When you demonstrate an iota of objectivity, not ****e straight out of Q-Anan, OANN and the Hannity/Carlson wings of Fox News, I'll be interested to analyse something/ANYTHING Biden-related that you might offer..

First of all, I've never watched Fox News in my life.

Secondly, I'm Irish and have no interest in American democracy or whatever they call it over there.

Thirdly, Trump is gone now. He's over.

And lastly, no response to whether or not Biden is following advice from medical advisors regarding this 100 day pledge.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I call Bull****!

That's EXACTLY what you're trying to do! Create controversy and derail the thread.

Not inteterested here, m8!!!

The sensitivity of some posters here to simple queries amazes me. You have become so obsessed with Trump, you can't even think straight.

Presidents come and go, but America never changes.

This President doesn't want to go, even though the people have asked him to.

Water John wrote: »
    This President doesn't want to go, even though the people have asked him to.

He's sensitive too. But he's gone. It's over. The Trump drama has ended.

First of all, I've never watched Fox News in my life.

Secondly, I'm Irish and have no interest in American democracy or whatever they call it over there.

Thirdly, Trump is gone now. He's over.

And lastly, no response to whether or not Biden is following advice from medical advisors regarding this 100 day pledge.

You're inordinately active in threads like this to attempt pretty lame and nonsensical arguments on a weekly basis. Often it's an argument along the lines of "why are you guys so interested in another country's politics" but at the very same time, you regularly seem to post in them...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wearing masks - yes absolutely.

100 days? Who knows, why does it matter? If Biden can convince enough people to wear masks for 100 days it will lower transmission rates and maybe give some respite along with the vaccine. After 100 days there should be enough data to tell the story to those refusing to wear masks. It all seems pretty sensible to me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

You're inordinately active in threads like this to attempt pretty lame and nonsensical arguments on a weekly basis. Often it's an argument along the lines of "why are you guys so interested in another country's politics" but at the very same time, you regularly seem to post in them...

I'm just not sure why people can't say Biden's mask pledge wasn't based on advice from medical advisors.

It's going to be a long 4 years it seems.

Advertisement