Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm just not sure why people can't say Biden's mask pledge wasn't based on advice from medical advisors.

It's going to be a long 4 years it seems.

Why is it important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hotmail just trolling at this point. I informed you that Biden made the mask wearing decision having consulted his Covid team and Dr. Fauci.
    You come back later and imply it not to be the case and that no poster had said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭moon2

I'm just not sure why people can't say Biden's mask pledge wasn't based on advice from medical advisors.

It's going to be a long 4 years it seems.

I'll say it then - Bidens drive to increase the usage of masks is based on medical advice!

Done and done!

If you have some reason to doubt this, could you elaborate on exactly what your issue is and the effects stemming from it?

It's easy to do with Trump's policies: Trump has politicized mask wearing into a pro-Trump/Republican non-wearing contingent and an anti-Trump/anti-freedom/Democrat mask wearing contingent.

The issues stemming from this false equivalence are pretty clear and obvious. Your political affiliation should have no bearing on how you handle a pandemic. Not taking simple precautions shouldn't be seen as a badge of support for your political party.

A 9/11 daily is the price america (as a whole) is paying for rejecting medical advice.

An actual drive to increase the use of precautions can only be heralded as a massive step forward. It's really unclear what your position is on this, but you seem to be implying that this is a bad move unsupported by medical advice... Which is confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I wonder when Biden takes office will we revert back to the Obama-era whereby the media will revert to turning any perceived faux-pas into a minor scandal.

The two classics of the genre:
    The Barack Obama tan suit controversy occurred on August 28, 2014, when Barack Obama, then–President of the United States, wore a tan suit while he held a live press conference on increasing the U.S. military response against the Islamic State in Syria. Obama's appearance on television in the tan suit sparked significant attention and led to media and social media criticism. The issue remained prominent in the media for several days with the issue being particularly widely discussed on talk shows
    The latest round of outrage aimed at President Obama was caused by his morning caffeine fix.
    When the president exited Marine One in New York City Tuesday en route to the United Nations, he had a coffee cup in his right hand as he lifted it to salute the two Marines who greeted him there. This gesture, according to all those who took to Twitter using the hashtag, #LatteSalute was just downright disrespectful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wonder when Biden takes office will we revert back to the Obama-era whereby the media will revert to turning any perceived faux-pas into a minor scandal.

Of course but I also expect the GOP and Republicans to start pretending to care about the national debt, American lives and fiscal prudence again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Already happened. Biden picked an all female press team and Trump fans here trying to make it out to be worst thing ever.. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058138295

Of course but I also expect the GOP and Republicans to start pretending to care about the national debt, American lives and fiscal prudence again.

And accountability and checks and balances for the office of the president

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Already happened. Biden picked an all female press team and Trump fans here trying to make it out to be worst thing ever.. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058138295

Also ignoring how they're highly qualified for the roles...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

rossie1977 wrote: »

Spin doctors they used to be called. Women or not, they do all the dirty work.

It also deflects from Biden's unsettling touchy feely approach to women.

As opposed to walking into changing rooms of teenaged girls unannounced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Grab em by the pussy"

Donald J Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hate whataboutery, but that's an incredibly bad read given the previous guys near production line of sexual misconduct litigation. Plainly obvious the picks are attempts at inclusion, rather than some dark misdirect from salacious chronic harassment. Your faith made more redundant when by all accounts the picks seem pretty experienced and appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, Trump's sterling efforts will be missed...

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2017/04/25/430969/100-days-100-ways-trump-administration-harming-women-families/

and his comments...
    On Ivanka Trump, his daughter

42. "She does have a very nice figure ... if [she] weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her." [June 4, 2004]
    https://theweek.com/articles/655770/61-things-donald-trump-said-about-women

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hate whataboutery, but that's an incredibly bad read given the previous guys near production line of sexual misconduct litigation. Plainly obvious the picks are attempts at inclusion, rather than some dark misdirect from salacious chronic harassment. Your faith made more redundant when by all accounts the picks seem pretty experienced and appropriate.

I would say a mix of inclusion but also the fact that they're proven as suitable for roles. It's logical that it would be a team that they've previously worked with.

Biden/Harris in their first interview both emphasised at different points about policy said,'one president', meaning Trump is still Potus. The counter could also be the point that they're making that come after the inauguration there is still only one President and that's President Biden.
    There's seem some incl Trump who are implying a sort of shadow presidential role for Trump.

Water John wrote: »
    Biden/Harris in their first interview both emphasised at different points about policy said,'one president', meaning Trump is still Potus. The counter could also be the point that they're making that come after the inauguration there is still only one President and that's President Biden.
    There's seem some incl Trump who are implying a sort of shadow presidential role for Trump.

I haven't seen that, beyond a kind of conspiracy theory thing where Trump was somehow pulling the strings with Biden as a front. No explanation why in that case Trump would not rule in his own right.

However, are there any links to the shadow king notion? I think my brain might explode...

Water John wrote: »

'I'm off to make my own presidential office, except this time with blackjack and hookers'

Seriously though, sedition laws would have him locked up in an instant if he tried that

It means he goes on to with his cult followers, undermining Biden's Presidency, in their eyes.

So Trump goes back to private life but continues with his 'rallies' on some pretext or another - preparing for re-election maybe - and continues to drop big, obvious hints that he is still running the country but Biden is his 'front man', and the base lap it up. Though it might be difficult to balance out what Biden actually does with what Trump claims he has proposed.

I suppose since the base is politically unaware they would probably not even notice, and the tame media outlets will be happy to spread the fantasy regardless. Its unlikely there would be enough of a base after 4 years to make a further presidential challenge viable though.

Way more likely that his current lack of energy, shortage of funds and preoccupation with all the legal stuff that will come his way will mean he will fade away into relative obscurity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more sniping at other users please. Posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Other than mask usage for 100 days, which is already in place anyway, what new measures can we expect from Biden?

Unless you know otherwise, I don't believe there is any Federal mask mandate in place at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Biden made his mask announcement at the same time he introduced his administration's health team, amongst others:
    Dr Anthony Fauci (physician and immunologist who has served as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984)
    Dr. Vivek Murthy (physician and former vice admiral in the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps who served as the nineteenth surgeon general of the United State)
    Dr. Rochelle Walensky (chief of the infectious diseases division at Massachusetts General Hospital)
    Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith (physician and associate professor of medicine and epidemiology at the Yale School of Medicine, where she is also Associate Dean for Health Equity Research and founding director of the Equity Research and Innovation Center)

So those are the people who advised him... his advisors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Unless you know otherwise, I don't believe there is any Federal mask mandate in place at the moment?

There is not, nor will there ever be. There is no legal authority to place one. (Which is why Harris had to walk back on comments about a national mandate in Sept)

He will be encouraging mask wear for the first 100 days of his administration. Mandates come from the states and local governments, most of which already have them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There is not, nor will there ever be. There is no legal authority to place one. (Which is why Harris had to walk back on comments about a national mandate in Sept)

He will be encouraging mask wear for the first 100 days of his administration. Mandates come from the states and local governments, most of which already have them.

Which is why Biden said he would ask everyone to wear a mask, no order everyone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Which is why Biden said he would ask everyone to wear a mask, no order everyone.

That is his current (and correct) position. You need to go back a few months for the reversal.
    https://www.insider.com/harris-walks-back-biden-promise-federal-mandate-to-wear-mask-2020-9

Kamala Harris, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, walked back Joe Biden's promise for a nationwide mandate to wear a mask, saying the Biden administration will instead enforce a standard of mask-wearing.

Last month, Biden vowed that, if elected, his administration would institute and push for a mask mandate.

"We'll have a national mandate to wear a mask — not as a burden, but to protect each other," Biden said during the final night of the Democratic National Convention. "It's a patriotic duty."

Then a few days later https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/09/06/harris-walks-back-national-mask-mandate-says-it-would-be-a-standard/?sh=486ddfc920ee

Asked in June if he would use “federal leverage” to mandate mask wearing, Biden said he would “would do everything possible to make it a requirement” from an “executive standpoint.”
    [...]
    But during a press conference on Wednesday, Biden stepped back from that position, conceding he doesn’t know whether a mask mandate by executive fiat would be constitutional and calling himself a “constitutionalist,” instead saying he would put “pressure” on state, local and business leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That is his current (and correct) position. You need to go back a few months for the reversal.
    https://www.insider.com/harris-walks-back-biden-promise-federal-mandate-to-wear-mask-2020-9

Kamala Harris, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, walked back Joe Biden's promise for a nationwide mandate to wear a mask, saying the Biden administration will instead enforce a standard of mask-wearing.

Last month, Biden vowed that, if elected, his administration would institute and push for a mask mandate.

"We'll have a national mandate to wear a mask — not as a burden, but to protect each other," Biden said during the final night of the Democratic National Convention. "It's a patriotic duty."

Then a few days later https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/09/06/harris-walks-back-national-mask-mandate-says-it-would-be-a-standard/?sh=486ddfc920ee

Asked in June if he would use “federal leverage” to mandate mask wearing, Biden said he would “would do everything possible to make it a requirement” from an “executive standpoint.”
    [...]
    But during a press conference on Wednesday, Biden stepped back from that position, conceding he doesn’t know whether a mask mandate by executive fiat would be constitutional and calling himself a “constitutionalist,” instead saying he would put “pressure” on state, local and business leaders.

What in the Love of God does all this passage through history have to do with:

- the President-Elect's attempt (even though he is still months away from actually being able to Preside) to save lives
    - the President-Elect's attempt to counter the incumbent's blatant sociopathic attempts to propagate Covid by undermining professional mask-wearing advice
    - the President-Elect's attempt to bring some kind of order into the current massively fatal and hugely debilitating Covid-19 landscape.

Get a grip! Biden's trying to turn the tanker that is anti-maskism around in the only way he can. Your 'history lesson' is entirely un-necessary in that endeavour.

This thread is about the Biden/Harris Presidency going forward. It is NOT about the election, and/or the primaries and political activities that preceeded it! There are more than enough threads around this place that can house historical analyses such as yours.

Nothing. Which is fortunate because that was not the question asked. What was asked was whether there was a federal mandate currently in place (see post #238). Then as a result of post #241, further expansion was provided.

I firmly believe that an answer to a question should also be substantiated. If you don’t want to read why an answer is put forward, or if you don’t want the history or civics lesson, it doesn’t cost you much to scroll down.

Nothing. Which is fortunate because that was not the question asked. What was asked was whether there was a federal mandate currently in place (see post #238). Then as a result of post #241, further expansion was provided.

I firmly believe that an answer to a question should also be substantiated. If you don’t want to read why an answer is put forward, or if you don’t want the history or civics lesson, it doesn’t cost you much to scroll down.

I didn't ask that question and you replied to me.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I didn't ask that question and you replied to me.

I did, because you replied to my response to the question. Why would this be remarkable?

My point is that the details of what the federal government can do are sufficiently confusing that even a Presidential candidate can slip up and have to be corrected by his lawyer VP running mate, let alone Irish people on a discussion board.

• Advertisement

I did, because you replied to my response to the question. Why would this be remarkable?

My point is that the details of what the federal government can do are sufficiently confusing that even a Presidential candidate can slip up and have to be corrected by his lawyer VP running mate, let alone Irish people on a discussion board.

My point was that Biden is asking people to wear masks, not ordering. Because he can’t order it.

So fundamentally we are in agreement, but your response read like a rebuttal.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement