Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brian? wrote: »
    My point was that Biden is asking people to wear masks, not ordering. Because he can’t order it.

So fundamentally we are in agreement, but your response read like a rebuttal.

Can he order it once he becomes president?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Can he order it once he becomes president?

No, he can suggest it but it will be up to each individual state to legislate and police it.

No

Once president can he not override states individual powers on health related grounds to bring in lockdowns , mask wearing indoors etc
    Everything that's needed to bring the virus under control?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Once president can he not override states individual powers on health related grounds to bring in lockdowns , mask wearing indoors etc
    Everything that's needed to bring the virus under control?

You know full well be can't.

What he can do is lead by example and ensure the correct message is sent. Unlike Trump.

He can also order enough vaccine. Unlike Trump.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What he can do is lead by example and ensure the correct message is sent. Unlike Trump.

He can also order enough vaccine. Unlike Trump.

Any word on everybody getting access to the regeneron treatment? Have the current administration started getting deals in place, and getting it to hospitals to reduce the numbers dying daily?

• Advertisement

Apologies. I was under the illusion that he could since Trump was expected to do same.

Funny how the narrative changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Apologies. I was under the illusion that he could since Trump was expected to do same.

Now that's pathetic.
    BTW do you fully accept that Biden has been voted to be the next POTUS? I know the EC votes tomorrow so to be technically correct you can answer on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

People listen to the president. Trump could not have ridiculed and politicised mask wearing, and thus could have save lives, but he didn't

duploelabs wrote: »
    People listen to the president. Trump could not have ridiculed and politicised mask wearing, and thus could have save lives, but he didn't

Weak.

Posters argued for months that Trump had the power to supersede state law. Now the story changes with incoming Joe Biden.

I'm not posting in favour of Trump btw. I'm pointing out the blatant hypocrisy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Frankly, your thinly disguised attempt at a 'gotcha' moment is pathetic. There are ample other threads where such attempts may be appropriate, but this isn't one of them.

This is a thread about new hope and sensible Government now that adults will be back in the room from January 20. It's no longer about a failed narcissistic pretend-King who has lost (bigly) not only the Presidency, but also any modicum of respect that the Office normally engenders. The incoming President will be working to alleviate the damage that has been done to Public Health messaging by the failed Administration, and will be providing leadership and example that will try to pitch Americans in common purpose against the virus, rather than the current tactic of using the virus to pitch Americans against themselves.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Frankly, your thinly disguised attempt at a 'gotcha' moment is pathetic. There are ample other threads where such attempts may be appropriate, but this isn't one of them.

This is a thread about new hope and sensible Government now that adults will be back in the room from January 20. It's no longer about a failed narcissistic pretend-King who has lost (bigly) not only the Presidency, but also any modicum of respect that the Office normally engenders. The incoming President will be working to alleviate the damage that has been done to Public Health messaging by the failed Administration, and will be providing leadership and example that will try to pitch Americans in common purpose against the virus, rather than the current tactic of using the virus to pitch Americans against themselves.

Its Bidens turn now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its Bidens turn now.

Biden's turn to be a real active POTUS, thanks.

Weak.

Posters argued for months that Trump had the power to supersede state law. Now the story changes with incoming Joe Biden.

I'm not posting in favour of Trump btw. I'm pointing out the blatant hypocrisy

You're consciously myopic to the point I'm making. It's note about setting a mask mandate, it's about advising to wear a mask and not mock it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Off topic posts deleted. Back on topic, please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    What in the Love of God does all this passage through history have to do with:

- the President-Elect's attempt (even though he is still months away from actually being able to Preside) to save lives
    - the President-Elect's attempt to counter the incumbent's blatant sociopathic attempts to propagate Covid by undermining professional mask-wearing advice
    - the President-Elect's attempt to bring some kind of order into the current massively fatal and hugely debilitating Covid-19 landscape.

Get a grip! Biden's trying to turn the tanker that is anti-maskism around in the only way he can. Your 'history lesson' is entirely un-necessary in that endeavour.

This thread is about the Biden/Harris Presidency going forward. It is NOT about the election, and/or the primaries and political activities that preceeded it! There are more than enough threads around this place that can house historical analyses such as yours.

Did you even read his response before your hissy fit?

It turns out Biden won't enforce a nation wide mask policy as he isn't sure it's constitutional. The US president can do nothing.

It turns out Biden won't enforce a nation wide mask policy as he isn't sure it's constitutional. The US president can do nothing.

He can ask for people to wear masks, that matters. Trump didn't

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The legal/constitutional challenges have been discussed at length.

But what Biden can do is show consistent leadership in the area.

He can encourage and recommend , he can provide guidance and information to the States, He can drive consistency in the approaches taken by the States by facilitating communication etc.

The Presidents role is Leadership - Biden can provide this, which Trump consistently failed to do , not just around Covid , but across the whole gamut.

This thread is about Biden. The reaction of some posters to any criticism of Biden, a foreign president, is beyond belief at this stage.

It's almost as bad as hard core Trump supporters.. similarly weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Imagine if Trump said "The Chinese virus has invaded our great nation and seeks to destroy millions of lives, we must protect ourselves and our loved ones by taking appropriate precautions. The best protection against this assault is to wear a mask when in close contact with one another. Together we can work together and kill this threat! USA! USA!"

Regardless of a nationwide mandate, you'd probably have a good proportion of the anti-mask MAGA crew screaming at people who weren't wearing a mask to be patriotic and support America. The Trump endorsed masks would fly off the shelves too.
    Biden can come in and try to do the same but its too late now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Imagine if Trump said "The Chinese virus has invaded our great nation and seeks to destroy millions of lives, we must protect ourselves and our loved ones by taking appropriate precautions. The best protection against this assault is to wear a mask when in close contact with one another. Together we can work together and kill this threat! USA! USA!"

Regardless of a nationwide mandate, you'd probably have a good proportion of the anti-mask MAGA crew screaming at people who weren't wearing a mask to be patriotic and support America. The Trump endorsed masks would fly off the shelves too.

Trump missed a trick he could have made millions selling masks with MAGA and Make America Great Again on them.

Will be interesting to see if this investigation into Hunters taxes throws up anything, I suspect it might.

• Advertisement

America made masks the focus of the pandemic. Ireland focused on social distancing and reducing your contacts.

Americans weren't willing to change their lives. Instead they want everyone to wear masks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This thread is about Biden. The reaction of some posters to any criticism of Biden, a foreign president, is beyond belief at this stage.

Don't do that, it's pretty transparent. It's kinda hard to discuss the New Guy without it being framed against the previous sitting President - one who went out of his way to be the most outlandish, vulgar and free-styling occupant in living memory.

In terms of the CoVid response, Biden's own will be seen as reactive to Trump's own - because of course it's going to be. It's inevitably an inherently reactive strategy given the overall negligence Trump demonstrated, either logistically or from a basic concept of leadership. And not just CoVid either, most aspects of government are going to need a reassessment, especially in areas where Trump efectively shuttered the unit / department / institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I'm sure if Biden called for armed uprisings to try and override these states rights by force and intimidation, you would be perfectly ok with that, as you were when trump did the same?

Just while we're on the topic of "changing narratives"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

America made masks the focus of the pandemic. Ireland focused on social distancing and reducing your contacts.

Americans weren't willing to change their lives. Instead they want everyone to wear masks.

So are you saying that Trump urging Americans to wear mask would be of no benefit, made no difference and everything would play out exactly the same?

If so then, maybe Trump should have followed other countries leads on social distancing/reducing contact too then, he had ample opportunity at his Covid 19 briefings no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I don't agree with refusing to criticise Biden for anything, but I do agree that those who refused to criticise Trump on issues should be called out for their dishonesty when complaining about people doing the same for Biden. Yes, I am very much referring to you directly here.

You don't have a leg to stand on, complaining about something that you yourself have been one of the most glaring examples of on this forum throughout 2020, if not longer. It's incredibly transparent what you're up to there.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I don't agree with refusing to criticise Biden for anything, but I do agree that those who refused to criticise Trump on issues should be called out for their dishonesty when complaining about people doing the same for Biden. Yes, I am very much referring to you directly here.

You don't have a leg to stand on, complaining about something that you yourself have been one of the most glaring examples of on this forum throughout 2020, if not longer. It's incredibly transparent what you're up to there.

My view is that America is a flawed, imperialist nation with dangerous attitudes to materialism, individualism, violence, racism and religion.

And it doesn't matter who the president is. Trump was a nice media soap opera that so many got sucked into.

Biden is more boring, will read scripts given to him. So the soap opera has ended and yet America stays the same.

So are you saying that Trump urging Americans to wear mask would be of no benefit, made no difference and everything would play out exactly the same?

If so then, maybe Trump should have followed other countries leads on social distancing/reducing contact too then, he had ample opportunity at his Covid 19 briefings no?

My point is that the disastrous reaction to Covid in America says more about the American public than it does anything else.

Ah so now we are down to blaming the 330 million of Americans whose views range for highly religious who would be quite fine in a place like Saudi Arabia to extremely progressive scientists and engineers.

Trump tried to deflect his failures onto states and now it seems the attempt has moved onto voting the citizens he sworn to protect

Riight so...

I just don't understand this weirdnes.

No other country would you blame absolutely everything on one leader, especially in a country as large as America and with its federal structure.

It's just bonkers to pin everything on one leader.

No other country would you blame absolutely everything on one leader, especially in a country as large as America and with its federal structure.

Which president had the sign on the presidential desk saying the buck stops here? Which president said 'I don't accept responsibility for anything'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I thought you of all people understood America and American politics particularly well.

---

The American President, in a shocking turn of events, is a very important person and as such, their utterances, no matter how apparently benign or idiotic or even downright dangerous, well, they have an effect.

Can we blame Trump on loons with guns raiding the Michigan State House or was the tweet below a benign pronouncement that really should have had no effect at all on the psyche of the psychos out there in his flock?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169217531056130

OR is he as powerful as a county councillor and all the real powers rest with the States and like you always say, we shouldn't be paying attention to him?

Advertisement