Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying a variety of saddles

Options
  • 05-11-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭

Is there any shop or establishment, would ye know of, that have a bunch of saddle styles for testing, on loan or rent ? I've heard of saddle "libraries" in the UK that do such a thing.
    For nearly 8 years now I've been using a Specialized Romin 143 (measured as being my size). I've two or 3 of them that have stayed with me from bike to bike and I basically thought I had the saddle circle squared.
    The last year however, possibly exacerbated by an increase in cycling regularity during lockdown, I've been plagued by a saddle sore in the same place all the time. I've tried all the usual things, chamois cream etc and have taken to wearing two pairs of shorts to double up on the padding, which does help.
    So I'd like to try an alternative saddle for a while but I'd just be blindly, randomly selecting one to try, with no basis or logic behind it. Even if it was only a break - something different to change the contact point a bit for a while. Like you'd ride a rental bike abroad for a week.

Obviously it could be expensive to buy a succession of random saddles and it'd be great to be facilitated with a little-try-before-you-buy.

Comments

What exactly has changed to make a once good for you saddle not good for you is where I'd start. Like is something injured that you are transferring weight onto the side that gets the sore all the time. You mentioned it's in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've been plagued by a saddle sore in the same place all the time. I've tried all the usual things, chamois cream etc and have taken to wearing two pairs of shorts to double up on the padding, which does help.
    Get your GP to look at the saddle sore before you go experimenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. It's not saddle soreness, it's a saddle sore, if you get me :). It's not a sit bone issue, it's a soft tissue mass in one place on one side. I don't want to be too explicit here. Because I'm training all the time, it's present all the time to varying degrees of discomfort. Hence my idea that a change in the contact profile might be a plan or solution.

I might qualify my condition by describing it primarily as a persistence and an annoyance. I'm not in agony or anything. Yet, anyway.

I could go to the gp and he'll say yes you have s spot on your bum, here's some cream, and maybe take the bus for a few weeks,and that'll be 65 euro :)

So, would that be a hard no on the saddle supply stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cycle superstore have (had?) a scheme where you paid a deposit and they gave you a tester saddle. If you liked it then you can return the tester and get the proper one. Not sure how much of a selection they have but I tried a fizik Airone from there a few years ago. Hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I could go to the gp and he'll say yes you have s spot on your bum, here's some cream, and maybe take the bus for a few weeks,and that'll be 65 euro :)

If you're happy with that then maybe a few weeks off might help. You know best.

I'm just coming from my own experience - no agony but major discomfort and finally (six months later) ended up needing surgery under general anaesthetic and 8 weeks recovery - the first week was agony.

I’m sure my experience was at the extreme end but I wouldn’t wish the experience on my worst enemy.

That sounds horrific. Hopefully mine won't come to that. There wasn't any science in my purchase of a romin years ago, just a clubmate who said he liked them. Bought one and it was grand, not feathers and down or anything but grand. It wasn't until recently in the new specialized store I sat in their machine and they confirmed 143 was their recommendation, but sure they only have two sizes. 143 and 155.
    So I don't think it's a huge shot in the dark to try a different saddle tbh.

I'm reading a lot about the smp range. My wife actually has been using them for a few years. They look a bit odd and hook nosed but they've a massive variety of styles and choices. If I could make sense of them and try em out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Just throwing this out there but could it be because your saddle is old and worn?? Maybe a new saddle of the same make and model would be better than your current old 1 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Suffered in a similar vein however maybe not as extreme. I didn’t end up changing saddles but did it’ll give the bike a rest for a while. This can be tricky as you think you’re on the mend,go back out and it returns. I would be inclined to head to the GP or pharmacist for some treatment options and staying off the bike for full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

If I was you I would take time off and allow sore to heal. This time of year and current situation you have nothing to lose.

Spending money on saddles wont cure the sore.
    It shouldnt take more than 5 days to a week for a " normal" saddle sore to heal but wait it out. A rest a this time of year should do you good snyway.

Ordinarily my advise on saddles is decide which shape you like - flat, hammock , round nose or whatever . Then measure sit bones width and add 10 mm for sizing. 2nd hand ebay or whatever then because if they do not suit you can always sell them again and try something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Specialized allow up to 30 days to try a saddle- can swap for another within that time.
    I had romin 143,which was measured for me but swapped for the 155 and that worked great for me
    Definitely wouldn't recommend double shorts- maybe try wider pad eg Endura wide.
    https://www.specializedireland.ie/about-us/#:~:text=30%2DDAY%20SATISFACTION%20GUARANTEE,for%20another%20bike%20or%20saddle.

Has anyone measured their own sitbones with a degree of success?

I don't know what specialized's 143 saddle diagnosis actually equates to in a sitbone range. SMP have a saddle finder on their website which based on 28 inch waist puts me on their Evolution for racing or the Well S for "sport" riding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

It wasn't until recently in the new specialized store I sat in their machine and they confirmed 143 was their recommendation, but sure they only have two sizes. 143 and 155.

3 sizes, 168 too.

Get your GP to check it out first, cheaper than a new saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I asked one or two bike shops about it recently but because of Covid any that did offer it where no longer offering it.

Plenty of ways online that show how to measure sit bone width, can sit on a bag of flour and then measure. Sit bone width not always lined up to waist size either.

I'd check and see if cleats have moved or saddle has dropped too, just incase it's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

....I could go to the gp and he'll say yes you have s spot on your bum, here's some cream, and maybe take the bus for a few weeks,and that'll be 65 euro :)
    Or ... he might say that you have an ingrowing hair with a deep rumbling infection and if it doesn’t get cleared they may have to surgically open a big deep hole in your ar$e to clear it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Shimanos pro branded saddle have a 30 day return policy, bike24 are selling them at a good price at the moment.
    Generally theres 4 types of saddle stubby nose for low aero postions, long flat and narrow for flexible aggressive riders, arched nose and round saddles for upright endurance position and something in between the last too for aggressive but less flexible riders the specialized romin is this type of saddle as far as i know.
    Most brands then offer one of these 4 types of saddles.

Width is around the length of your sit bones + 2cm. However if you want a perfomance saddle fit is not preportional to seat bone width according to fizik https://road.cc/content/tech-news/207617-fizik-go-wide-new-spine-concept-evo-arione-antares-and-aliante-saddles

Have you got lower on the bike over the past year? As tyat could be a cause of friction and if that was the case id try a stubby nose saddle like the pro stealth power

TGD wrote: »
    Or ... he might say that you have an ingrowing hair with a deep rumbling infection and if it doesn’t get cleared they may have to surgically open a big deep hole in your ar$e to clear it out.

I've personal experience of a pilonidal cyst which recurred through out my 20's and into my 30's never got bad enough to go the surgery route, though it was quite literally a pain in the ass a couple of times a year for a week at a time. Hasn't recurred in many years now thankfully.

Those typically occur at the crack (sorry) right on or near the tailbone. If the OP has any suspicion that it could be that then it should be seen and assessed by a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Has anyone measured their own sitbones with a degree of success?

I don't know what specialized's 143 saddle diagnosis actually equates to in a sitbone range. SMP have a saddle finder on their website which based on 28 inch waist puts me on their Evolution for racing or the Well S for "sport" riding

I did measure by using a soft towel folded over several times. Place that on hard flat surface like a kitchen chair. Sit on it and dont forget to sit leaning forward as near as you can to your bike position.
    Your sit bones should leave two indents. Measure centre to centre and add 10mm

O=rrrrr

Just sit in wet concrete : )

Thanks Tony04.

I've found the solution. I just Contador up all the hills. No need for a saddle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I did measure by using a soft towel folded over several times. Place that on hard flat surface like a kitchen chair. Sit on it and dont forget to sit leaning forward as near as you can to your bike position.
    Your sit bones should leave two indents. Measure centre to centre and add 10mm

O=rrrrr

Just sit in wet concrete : )

Heavy cardboard works well also. Use a step so that you can get your feet up a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭this.lad

Changed bikes recently and had a sore all summer that kept flaring up after being on the bike.

Never had one before so was really thrown. Recently I haven't had it at all though but at this time of the year I'm wearing tights, which are new, rather than my favourite shorts, which are old. Or maybe it's because I'm cycling at night now and not doing the same distance to cause the irritation in the first place

I hadn't noticed until I read this topic that the sore was gone really! could it be as simple as worn out shorts?

Thanks Tony04.

I've found the solution. I just Contador up all the hills. No need for a saddle at all.

As well as ditching the saddle, you might save some more weight in ditching the front derailleur set up if your of that calibre.

Tony04 wrote: »
    As well as ditching the saddle, you might save some more weight in ditching the front derailleur set up if your of that calibre.

Well I've always been a good guy to buy a big chainring from anyway, that's for sure! :)

It's a great ol workout in fairness to do a long hill interval outta the saddle. Got out this afternoon for an hour before sunset. Got two ca 25 minute climbs to the featherbeds in, almost entirely Contador - shtyle

Got two ca 25 minute climbs to the featherbeds in, almost entirely Contador - shtyle

Remind your legs that you could be running and you will be able to climb entirely 100% contador style

So, on the back of the Boardsies advice I went to my GP today and he said that Shane Foley bike fit in Tallaght is a Selle SMP stockist and he'd be able to provide some saddles for me to try out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I think he may be gone, if it's the bike fit place within cyclesuperstore Im pretty sure there's a new lad running it. Not sure if Shane is still around somewhere else tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Is there any shop or establishment, would ye know of, that have a bunch of saddle styles for testing, on loan or rent ? I've heard of saddle "libraries" in the UK that do such a thing.
    For nearly 8 years now I've been using a Specialized Romin 143 (measured as being my size). I've two or 3 of them that have stayed with me from bike to bike and I basically thought I had the saddle circle squared.
    The last year however, possibly exacerbated by an increase in cycling regularity during lockdown, I've been plagued by a saddle sore in the same place all the time. I've tried all the usual things, chamois cream etc and have taken to wearing two pairs of shorts to double up on the padding, which does help.
    So I'd like to try an alternative saddle for a while but I'd just be blindly, randomly selecting one to try, with no basis or logic behind it. Even if it was only a break - something different to change the contact point a bit for a while. Like you'd ride a rental bike abroad for a week.

Obviously it could be expensive to buy a succession of random saddles and it'd be great to be facilitated with a little-try-before-you-buy.

I had a Romin 143mm for few years. The more I cycled the less comfortable I found it. I had a number of saddle sores. I tried a number of saddles, buying them on Adverts, Done Deal etc. I eventually found Prologo Kappa suited me best. Haven’t had an issue since. At the time I tried Selle, Fiziks etc but they didn’t suit. I also tried many chamois creams-paceline chamois butt’r worked best for me.

Best of luck.

Cheers man, that's interesting alright. I did 3 hours today and it was grand, so it's not what I would call a debilitating problem, but of course I'd rather it wasn't an issue at all. To that end I think it would be no harm at all to try another saddle for a while. I'll add the Kappa to my list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was struggling recently with saddles, nothing major just discomfort. Tried a couple of different ones with no joy then realised I'd completely forgotten my near 10 year old brooks on my tourer in storage. Popped that back on and I'm in bum heaven :P

It looks totally wrong, it's not a wet weather saddle unless you've a cover and lots of people hate them but just as many think they're amazing (me included). I did a 50k cycle after popping it on and I don't think I got out of the saddle to relieve pressure once.

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha. I'd get some quare looks at the Laragh coffee stop show 'n tell with a big springy leather Brooks on my aero bike!

I've actually a blister on my thumb this morning from all the out of the saddle honking yesterday now. Anyone know any shops let you try out a variety of hoods??? :D

Advertisement