Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying a variety of saddles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ha ha ha. I'd get some quare looks at the Laragh coffee stop show 'n tell with a big springy leather Brooks on my aero bike!

I've actually a blister on my thumb this morning from all the out of the saddle honking yesterday now. Anyone know any shops let you try out a variety of hoods??? :D

lol, I've got the B17, no springs in sight and they've models like the swift that are more sporty. What's more important than a comfy bum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

this.lad wrote: »
    Changed bikes recently and had a sore all summer that kept flaring up after being on the bike.

Never had one before so was really thrown. Recently I haven't had it at all though but at this time of the year I'm wearing tights, which are new, rather than my favourite shorts, which are old. Or maybe it's because I'm cycling at night now and not doing the same distance to cause the irritation in the first place

I hadn't noticed until I read this topic that the sore was gone really! could it be as simple as worn out shorts?

Yes, the padding in old, worn-out shorts can break down at the pressure points, and/or can bunch up in a fold or lump, applying excess pressure just where you don't want it.

If you changed bikes, you should also check if the new saddle is narrower/wider/different than the old one - could be a combination of worn shorts and different saddle (which has now been sorted by the new pad in the new tights).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one warning about the brooks - they can be a bit wide compared to many other saddles so may not be suited to long days in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sometimes, a wider saddle is better - many racing saddles are designed in Italy, and are best suited to Italians & southern/central Europeans with narrower pelvises. Us northern Europeans, often have a wider build, with wider pelvises.

My bike came with a 139mm saddle which went up between my sit-bones, rather than running under both of them. My current saddle, which now has almost 10k comfortable km's on it, is actually billed as a ladies' model, and is 154mm wide (I also tried a 164mm saddle, but that was too wide).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

one warning about the brooks - they can be a bit wide compared to many other saddles so may not be suited to long days in the saddle.

Well I bought it with my Thorn tourer and cycled many a long day in Africa on it. They're a highly regarded saddle once broken in for long days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Plenty of long days on the B17 here, they also seem to be a big favourite with Audax riders and tourers. Maybe I just have a big ass :)

I also have the C17 which I picked up from another boardsie. Currently on the turbo which and also comfortable and possibly a better aesthetic for the aero bike. Thinking I may swap it over to my main bike in the spring to see what it is like over a longer spin.

Edit: C13 could also be worth looking at as the lightest of this range, albeit expensive at £200.

Advertisement