Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and worst Reality TV Show you have seen?

• 06-11-2020 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Sine Reality TV came about through Big Brother there has been a conveyor belt of such shows. I'd like to hear your favourite and worst shows and the reasons.

My favourite would have to be Grand Designs, it is on the go a long time and as we've slowly watched Kevin's hairline recede we have been treated to some great design's and endeavours over the years. There is rarely a soppy side story and they are not afraid to show the spectacular failures as well as the magnificent successes. Other great shows worth mentioning are The apprentice UK, Come dine with me, River Cottage, Michael Palin and Bake off.

The worst would be a Channel 4 show from years ago which i think was called Shattered where the contestants had to stay awake to win. Anyone who nodded off got kicked of the show, they even had then completing mind numbing tasks to make it harder. I think it got stopped on health grounds with no winner in the end.
    Others that make me question humanity are anything related to the Kardasians, Geordie Shore, Love Island, TOWIE, Jersey Shore, Gordon Fcuking Ramsey, X Factor, Strictly, Room to Improve, anything ending in housewife etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My favourites are Great British bakeoff, GB sewing bee, GB Pottery throwdown. Anything that involves a skill really...have enjoyed project runway to some extent, interior design masters. Years ago there was a programme called The Restaurant with Raymond Blanc..was excellent. Agree on all your dislikes...truthfully I've never watched for more than 5mins but they're just not my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Best one I saw was a show called "Flock Stars" which had random Z-listers herding sheep with dogs. It was hilarious.

Worst one, TOWIE. I once watched 5 minutes of it, but it traumatised me for life.

Strictly - I just don't get the hype!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Worst two I can think of ..."The Swan" which was hosted by Amanda Byram women deemed ugly competes to win the prize of an extreme makeover + possible plastic surgery.
    "There's Something About Miriam' men compete to win a date with Miriam who they only realise is transsexual after the winner is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

E mac wrote: »
    Worst two I can think of ..."The Swan" which was hosted by Amanda Byram women deemed ugly competes to win the prize of an extreme makeover + possible plastic surgery.
    "There's Something About Miriam' men compete to win a date with Miriam who they only realise is transsexual after the winner is announced.

Forgot about those two - ethics out the window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Made in Chelsea...

Boring, vacuous nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Forgot about those two - ethics out the window!

Fair to say wouldn't be made today. Cruel television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Best are the competitive shows (Top Chef, Survivor, Amazing Race, Masterchef, The Block, MKR, Bake Off and shows like that)

Worst are the shows that follow people through scripted situations with cameras (like Geordie Shore, Jersey Shore, TOWIE, Kardashians etc.).
    I will admit to liking Selling Sunset though. :)

There are some oddball ones that are worth mentioning. Very obscure though.

I Wanna Marry Harry was a reality show on Fox, a bit like The Batchelor, where the female contestants believed that they were competing for the affection of Prince Harry (although he was a lookalike).

There were 3 seasons of a show called The Joe Schmo Show on Spike TV. It was a fake reality TV show (taking the piss out of reality TV and see how hard they could push it) and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen (especially season 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Even the bad ones like The Swan have some so bad its good entertainment value, for me the worst one was the one I watched most recently, The Bridge on C4, just pure mind-numbing tedium then a fake finale where they apparently finish in the last 10 seconds after weeks of faffing around, I was actually angry after watching it. I dont think Ill ever bother with another.

The Simon Cowell idol/got talent/voice format is now so nauseating I actually get depressed when the housemates make me sit through one, take it out and shoot it, same for Strictly/On Ice. Pop Idol/American Idol back when they first started were amazing though, you really did get invested in them.

Survivor is the only thing that has delivered the goods down the years, the original reality tv phenomenon and still the king decades later.

Mr E wrote: »
    Best are the competitive shows (Top Chef, Survivor, Amazing Race, Masterchef, The Block, MKR, Bake Off and shows like that)

Worst are the shows that follow people through scripted situations with cameras (like Geordie Shore, Jersey Shore, TOWIE, Kardashians etc.).
    I will admit to liking Selling Sunset though. :)

There are some oddball ones that are worth mentioning. Very obscure though.

I Wanna Marry Harry was a reality show on Fox, a bit like The Batchelor, where the female contestants believed that they were competing for the affection of Prince Harry (although he was a lookalike).

There were 3 seasons of a show called The Joe Schmo Show on Spike TV. It was a fake reality TV show (taking the piss out of reality TV and see how hard they could push it) and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen (especially season 2).
    Remember My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss? Pisstake of the Apprentice, it was absolutely hilarious. I remember they got the actor playing the Trump/Sugar ripoff to drunk dial one of the women contestants late at night and start asking how she was doing etc :pac:

Do you remember C4 tricked some muppets into thinking they were being launched into space? Trained them right up to launch day aswell, was that actually real?

Ill shut up now but actually the show I most despise is Undercover Boss, its the absolute worst corporate propaganda and every episode is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Akabusi wrote: »
    Sine Reality TV came about through Big Brother there has been a conveyor belt of such shows. I'd like to hear your favourite and worst shows and the reasons.

My favourite would have to be Grand Designs, it is on the go a long time and as we've slowly watched Kevin's hairline recede we have been treated to some great design's and endeavours over the years. There is rarely a soppy side story and they are not afraid to show the spectacular failures as well as the magnificent successes. Other great shows worth mentioning are The apprentice UK, Come dine with me, River Cottage, Michael Palin and Bake off.

The worst would be a Channel 4 show from years ago which i think was called Shattered where the contestants had to stay awake to win. Anyone who nodded off got kicked of the show, they even had then completing mind numbing tasks to make it harder. I think it got stopped on health grounds with no winner in the end.
    Others that make me question humanity are anything related to the Kardasians, Geordie Shore, Love Island, TOWIE, Jersey Shore, Gordon Fcuking Ramsey, X Factor, Strictly, Room to Improve, anything ending in housewife etc.

I remember that show shattered - mentioned it to loads of people but noone ever seems to remember it. It was presented by Dermot O Leary. Any time any of them closed their eyes the prize fund started reducing. I remember one of the tasks been one person had to get fully body massage and couldnt close their eyes during it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Naked attraction is the best and worst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Only two I ever really enjoyed are an old one, Castaways 2000, and a recent one, Bake Off. Don't watch any of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The best is the Great British Bake Off. I love that it excised so many of the things that were thought to be essential for reality TV. There’s no bitchiness, no sob stories, no engineered drama. It’s so gentle.

The worst was this show that Amanda Byram presented around 2005ish, where women would undergo extensive plastic surgery. The Swan, I think it was called. It was grotesque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For best - the original series of Wanted on Channel 4 - the attempt to lighten it up ruined it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cabin Fever (2003)

Won’t say if worst or best ;)

callaway92 wrote: »
    Cabin Fever (2003)

Won’t say if worst or best ;)

Is that the one where the boat sank off donegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

yellow hen wrote: »
    Is that the one where the boat sank off donegal?

It is haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭pooch90

I watch awful crap but have to say the worst ones I've seen are Temptation Island and Too Hot to Handle, just shocking.

callaway92 wrote: »
    It is haha

Hope she's not on boards but there was a woman that called Aoife (i think) and by jesus she was hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Akabusi wrote: »

No, it kept going until the end. Clare Southern stayed awake and won £97,000

I thought that was a very original and entertaining show at the time. You would never see it these days though, there wasn't a lot of concern for contestants welfare

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/04/shattered-legacy-of-a-reality-tv-experiment-in-extreme-sleep-deprivation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The worst is the hidden boss one.

I mean who the phuck?

The best is Love Island, there is no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The best is GBBO, I know they edit the final few flourishes to build the tension but after you get into the rhythm you know who's really pressed for time and when but apart from that it's refreshingly "real" which is the whole point really.

There have been numerous "duds" e.g. Splash but they always had a silver lining of "hey, Shane Lynch is pretty decent at the High Board".
    I've stopped classifying TOWIE, Kardashians, Geordie Shore as reality tv, it isn't.

So a strange "worst" for me, is The Voice. It just fails at its premise, its never based on just the voice, we're given the introduction and back story beforehand, fair enough the judges can't see them but they make it worse by drawing every second out of the decision to hit the buzzer or not, making it all about them and taking the attention away from the show. No wonder every winner has disappeared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Love Alaska the last frontier and American pickers, don’t get strictly or bb or love island

Naked Attraction

I watched one years ago on Channel 4. I think it was called shipwrecked? It had genuine drama not the manufactured stuff we get. It was really good. Although i was about 16 at the time so...

Advertisement