Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home phone calls Ireland

Options
  • 06-11-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does Google home in Ireland allow phone calls via Duo? Doesn't work for me. Have all necessary Google Home settings configured to make this work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Hi all,

Does Google home in Ireland allow phone calls via Duo? Doesn't work for me. Have all necessary Google Home settings configured to make this work.

Thanks

Yes works for me although it is not great. The person you are calling needs to have duo otherwise it wont work (I don't think)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

bobbyg wrote: »
    Yes works for me although it is not great. The person you are calling needs to have duo otherwise it wont work (I don't think)

You mean the other persons phone has to have duo?

Yes and the other person will need to have set duo up too. I haven't tried to ring a landline

Yes and the other person will need to have set duo up too. I haven't tried to ring a landline

Hey thanks for input.

Just so i'm clear I want to be able to say "Hey Google" (to Google home mini speaker) "call John" and it calls John and we can have a conversation via the Google Home speaker.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hey thanks for input.

Just so i'm clear I want to be able to say "Hey Google" (to Google home mini speaker) "call John" and it calls John and we can have a conversation via the Google Home speaker.

Thanks

Yes you can, the real issue is so few people have Duo.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for input.

Thanks

Yes I have done this with my wife when I haven't had my phone on me but I was next to the google speaker, on her side she received the call on duo and it was a video call despite there being no video on my side. Only I can make calls on the speaker to as you need to have voice match set up so the kids can't ask google to make calls.

Hey thanks for input.

Thanks

Also you need to have duo set up on your phone too as the call is made via duo.

Thanks bobbyg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It works very well. I've told a few bedtime stories to my young son when I was away before.

He could see and hear me, I could only hear him as we've the non camera version of the home hub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They're Duo calls , not phone calls.

Phone calls are available in some regions.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    They're Duo calls , not phone calls.

Phone calls are available in some regions.

Afaik Google Home phone calls are not available in Ireland. Duo offers some sort of workaround. I did manage to get it working (thanks to bobbyg) but sometimes I still get the response "sorry there was an issue trying to call (name)" please try again in a minute. It works mostly and its better than not working at all.

My question is where does this combination of Google Home + Duo pull the phone numbers from? My phone contacts or Google / Gmail contacts?

Afaik Google Home phone calls are not available in Ireland. Duo offers some sort of workaround. I did manage to get it working (thanks to bobbyg) but sometimes I still get the response "sorry there was an issue trying to call (name)" please try again in a minute. It works mostly and its better than not working at all.

My question is where does this combination of Google Home + Duo pull the phone numbers from? My phone contacts or Google / Gmail contacts?

I think it pulls the call from your phone duo, I have had issues in the past as I have 2 or 3 Gmail accounts and I may have switched over the account on my phone for varies reasons and it didn't match the account in google home. Just make sure your duo account Gmail matches the Gmail you have google home set to.

I think it pulls the call from your phone duo, I have had issues in the past as I have 2 or 3 Gmail accounts and I may have switched over the account on my phone for varies reasons and it didn't match the account in google home. Just make sure your duo account Gmail matches the Gmail you have google home set to.

So it doesn't interact with Gmail contacts at all? Just the phone contacts? It makes sense because when I installed duo I think it asks for permission to access the phone contacts.

Advertisement