Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing stone colour on driveway

Options
  • 06-11-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Stone on the drive is getting thin and needs a good top up. Would putting a different colour on top work, or would the old stone make it's way up in places leaving me with a two-tone effect or something worse?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from DIY at OPs request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Stone on the drive is getting thin and needs a good top up. Would putting a different colour on top work, or would the old stone make it's way up in places leaving me with a two-tone effect or something worse?
    You will be left with something worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

rje66 wrote: »
    You will be left with something worse!
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Dep on stone you choose, the result can be 2 different textures,sizes and colours. Dep on size of area best option is scrape off loose stone , put in a layer of dust , compact , then add new stone. Or just top up with more of the existing stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SnowWhale78

It does depend I think in shape and size etc of the old and new stone. I put a smaller coloured pebble mix over a larger, flatter grey gravel a few years back and its not caused an issue. As the old stone was heavier and flatter it doesnt tend to rise up to the top. Also I put a good few inches of the new stone to be sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement