Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vladimir Putin to stand down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Ya what? Do you have any idea the background of Putin before entering into politics? Surely you are taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

US2 wrote: »
    Seems to have developed Parkinson's disease. Really sad news for Russia. Who will replace him? Turbulent times ahead for Russia you'd imagine.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1356795/putin-resign-next-year-russia-president-kremlin-health-concerns-vladimir-parkinsons-ont
    Sad news for Russia?
    If he is off the scene anyone who challenges him might not suddenly disappear or die...
    He is a dictator in all but name.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Turbulent times ahead alright. Nature abhors a vacuum, even one that has been filled by a dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Parkinsons is a terrible disease.

But there is some irony in this since he just last year forced through legislation making his reign essentially lifelong.

Karma’s a biitch baby !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Gonna need a more reliable source on this. The express continually tell the world Kim Jong Un is dead, a vegetable etc. only for the Kimster to reemerge fatter and more bellicose then ever before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Some countries prefer being ruled by a single "hard man".

His popularity rates are extremely high.

Personally, I think we are lucky in Ireland with our democratic system.... despite our flaws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Putin and those like him are a corrupt political cancer who have strangled Russia for decades. I'm not happy to hear that he may be ill but he has no business whatsoever occupying any position of power there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If it is true then my guess would be Dmitry Medvedev would be the most logical replacement for him. They have alternated the roles of President and Prime Minister before, back in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Any proof other than a tabloid rag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I have a lot of time for Vladimir. We don't understand Russia or their history enough to know why he's loved there. He was a man I think who started off good but absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Turbulent times ahead alright. Nature abhors a vacuum, even one that has been filled by a dictator.

Exactly. Sad news for Russia. I've been there 3 times, in Moscow, one of the nicest places I've been. There will be caos when he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Democracy isn't suitable for everywhere as we have seen countless times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

basill wrote: »
    Ya what? Do you have any idea the background of Putin before entering into politics? Surely you are taking the mick.
    Parkinson's makes mortals out of any man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I have a lot of time for Vladimir. We don't understand Russia or their history enough to know why he's loved there. He was a man I think who started off good but absolute power corrupts absolutely.

he started off good but realised the geopolitics involved and that russia needed a hard man to survive and beat off the international finance vultures and American imperialism. He remaind a patriot to russia , many people outside russia just don't get that,

he'll be remembered as a hero of russia.

US2 wrote: »
    Exactly. Sad news for Russia. I've been there 3 times, in Moscow, one of the nicest places I've been. There will be caos when he goes.
    Everything has been so centralized through him.

He will name a successor I think. Or indicate and set one up ....

I would have said he was doing that already .....but then he changed the law to make it so he could lead forever ....just a while ago.

paw patrol wrote: »

he'll be remembered as a hero of russia.

He will be remembered as the next dictator wants him to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

timmyntc wrote: »
    Any proof other than a tabloid rag?

Multiple publications around the world reporting it but several cite the article in the Sun so that might be the origin

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1752270/vladamir-putin-resign-next-year-health/

Only places I see this reported are on the likes of the express and the sun sites as far back as 12 hours ago, you'd imagine this would be big news on the major channels by now 12 hours later if true.

Considering this news will hit the kremlin like a bomb ..i don't think russia would let it out without denying it by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was only saying it to myself yesterday that in recent pictures of him he looked a bored or unhappy. Maybe he was just trying to keep his condition from being noticeable.

He did a great job with Russia. He made the country relevant on the big stage again. The country was finished in his early days, a total basket case. They found a way to make everyone take notice again without having to bulk up the armed forces to the extreme.

You'd be worried about the state of Russia after he goes. He keeps Russia together. He keeps Chechnya and Dagestan in their box by saying you can do what you want down there but if the rest of the country is affected, the angel of death will be arriving. That's how Russia is run, that's how it has to be run. And that's how Russians want Russia to be run.

Medvedev or whoever else is in the running, need to take their dick out early doors. No inch given to the smaller Republics. A sharp reminder that you govern your Republic, but if it spills outside of it, the Army will be rolling in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AnniePowwa

be careful what you wish for, the world would be a safer place if saddam and gaddafi were still in charge

"Really sad news for Russia" my hind quarters, he had successfully repressed freedom of speech and threatened journalists who dare attack his policies in print. And that's before we get into numerous murders of high profile critics of the Kremlin. The cognitive dissonance of "I admire Trump therefore I admire Putin although he is a communist strongman, the very ideology I despise in every other context i.e. welfare state. Ah shure he's a good dictator, the rest of them are bad because they don't publicly advocate the Donald". Take a run and jump lads.

Considering this news will hit the kremlin like a bomb ..i don't think russia would let it out without denying it by now.

This must have been known well in advance and plans put in place, otherwise Valery Solovei (named in the article) would be in big trouble for leaking that :eek:

Only places I see this reported are on the likes of the express and the sun sites as far back as 12 hours ago, you'd imagine this would be big news on the major channels by now 12 hours later if true.
    Daily Mail has it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8919975/Putin-quit-January-amid-fears-Parkinsons-disease-Moscow-sources-claim.html

Not a sure thing ..certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Which they have. Russian News Agency has quotes from Kremlin denying the Sun story.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Karma !

Russia will fall into chaos his style of kgb era control are coming to an end, with the ageing population of former communist party members shrinking yearly ,the younger more liberal politicians and policies will be pushed to the fore , maybe the country can revive it's fortunes in the next half decade

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gatling wrote: »
    Karma !

Russia will fall into chaos his style of kgb era control are coming to an end, with the ageing population of former communist party members shrinking yearly ,the younger more liberal politicians and policies will be pushed to the fore , maybe the country can revive it's fortunes in the next half decade

Fingers crossed. The place is a kip. Parts of the major cities look like they were only just bombed. All Putin has done is enrich himself and his cronies.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The source of the story appears to comments from Valery Solovey :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

druss wrote: »
    Which they have. Russian News Agency has quotes from Kremlin denying the Sun story.
    Well there you go.

He still has to deal with Trump being out of power though...and whatever Biden decides to do.

Advertisement