Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vladimir Putin to stand down

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well there you go.

He still has to deal with Trump being out of power though...and whatever Biden decides to do.

Might be able to do a deal. Biden gets the White House, Trump takes over the Kremlin. Everybody's happy

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

_Brian wrote: »
    Parkinsons is a terrible disease.

But there is some irony in this since he just last year forced through legislation making his reign essentially lifelong.

Karma’s a biitch baby !!

You seen like a nice person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have a lot of time for Vladimir. We don't understand Russia or their history enough to know why he's loved there. He was a man I think who started off good but absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Really, Putin is not difficult to understand. Unless you want to not understand.

On one hand, Putin is a mythical construct, not a person. He is governed by his PR advisors, as PR is understood in Kremlin. Read Victor Pelevin's books for the explanation on this point.

Secondly, Putin is a guarantor for the Eltsin's "family" fortunes. He was put into the presidential chair not to govern Russia as such, but to facilitate the continuous pillage of Russian assets by oligarchs.

Thirdly, do not think of the russian government as stupid or gullible. They are continuously monitoring their own popularity and acting to counter any popular protests by appeasing the masses or by killing off prominent opponents. The "strong man" image is just that. Eltsin was friendly with the USA and what did it get Russia? The economic default and ridicule on the world stage. So much better to be enemies with the USA, it is easy, not really economically taxing and shifts the blame for any problems on the American sanctions.

Putin dies? No problem, there are replacement Putins. Just not Medvedev, he is another mythical construct, designed to represent a "liberal president". He proved not to be popular enough, so he will not be chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Well that's one less bolthole the Donald and his spawn have available to flee to come January..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

If it is true then my guess would be Dmitry Medvedev would be the most logical replacement for him. They have alternated the roles of President and Prime Minister before, back in 2008

I think they had a subsequent falling out.

It was only the other day there was a headline that Russia was mulling an immunity for former presidents law.
    I imagined there was method to their madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Spore wrote: »
    Gonna need a more reliable source on this. The express continually tell the world Kim Jong Un is dead, a vegetable etc. only for the Kimster to reemerge fatter and more bellicose then ever before
    They really are the uk's national enquirer at this stage.
    Minus the weekly stories about Cher being at deaths door..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

imme wrote: »
    I think they had a subsequent falling out.

Doubtful, Putin put him in charge of National Security this year, he's vice chair of the SBRF. If he'd fallen out of favor he'd have been sent to some civil servant role in the far east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,683 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The richest man on the planet, takes a few percent of everything. But any credible politician / journalist saying that out loud and providing some proof risks being poisoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AnniePowwa wrote: »
    be careful what you wish for, the world would be a safer place if saddam and gaddafi were still in charge
    Saddam?
    Tell that to the Kurds in iraq....or the people of Saudi Arabia maybe...ffs
    Gaddafi?
    The people killed in lockerbie might also disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭cml387

druss wrote: »
    Which they have. Russian News Agency has quotes from Kremlin denying the Sun story.

Never believe something until it has been officially denied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

gmisk wrote: »
    Saddam?
    Tell that to the Kurds in iraq....or the people of Saudi Arabia maybe...ffs
    Gaddafi?
    The people killed in lockerbie might also disagree.

And the millions of people in Lybia would disagree with you. Both counties of course were not perfect, but alot better off than they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

US2 wrote: »
    Seems to have developed Parkinson's disease. Really sad news for Russia. Who will replace him? Turbulent times ahead for Russia you'd imagine.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1356795/putin-resign-next-year-russia-president-kremlin-health-concerns-vladimir-parkinsons-ont

Sad news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Sad news?

Sad for the general Russian population, yes. He does a great job of holding that country together. It's a wonderful country to live in despite what our leaders and media tell us. Putin leaving will have massive consequences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fingers crossed. The place is a kip. Parts of the major cities look like they were only just bombed. All Putin has done is enrich himself and his cronies.

That's it , he went into power on a small industrial wage but will leave power a multibillionaire but yet owns no companies or created anything ,he's a thug and a thief nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Cordell

He can retire with Trump and pleasure each other for the rest of their days. If this is the last we hear from them, the world's gonna be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭randd1

Cordell wrote: »
    He can retire with Trump and pleasure each other for the rest of their days. If this is the last we hear from them, the world's gonna be a better place.

Thank you for that rather disturbing image.

I was thinking of coming up with a plan to lose the few pounds I've gained over lockdown, but I've decided if I fancy eating something snacky or not so healthy, I'll use that image to completely put me off the food I was eyeing up.

You may be on to a winner here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Doubtful, Putin put him in charge of National Security this year, he's vice chair of the SBRF. If he'd fallen out of favor he'd have been sent to some civil servant role in the far east.

Things aren't always what they seem it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/15/dmitry-medvedev-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-robin-to-putins-batman

Putin is the Chair of the Security Council of Russia, making Medvedev the vice chair with a salary of $8,723.85,
    That sounds like sending someone to Siberia without actually sending them to Siberia.

They are a pair of gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

US2 wrote: »
    Seems to have developed Parkinson's disease. Really sad news for Russia. Who will replace him? Turbulent times ahead for Russia you'd imagine.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1356795/putin-resign-next-year-russia-president-kremlin-health-concerns-vladimir-parkinsons-ont

Russian leaders with Parkinson's disease stand down.

They win the democrat nomination in America.

Another thing, we finally have a story with some Russian collusion involved. The New York Times will have a field day with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe it’s exposure to all that novichok he’s been brewing up for years that has taken its toll on him. Either way, he gets 0 sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,124 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not a good week for poor oul' Vlad.

Looks like he will also lose his control of the Whitehouse as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mindancer

Long Live/Rule Putin, he's the best leader Russia has ever known, he's 100% patriotic and everything he does is for Russia's benefit.

Fingers crossed. The place is a kip. Parts of the major cities look like they were only just bombed. All Putin has done is enrich himself and his cronies.

You make him sound like an outlier by doing so. There are very few, if any, Russian officials who won't seek to enrich themselves, and their powerbase. It's part of Russian culture to do as much, and you can find such attitudes throughout their society from the bottom to the top. Anyone who replaces him will do exactly the same, and it's highly doubtful anyone will do more than he did to fix up Moscow or any of the cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa48f5ad2-2291-3984-9e2b-8da992dd25b7.jpg?crop=1500%2C1000%2C0%2C0&resize=1180

Maybe he wants to spend some time with his new Girlfriend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

mindancer wrote: »
    Long Live/Rule Putin, he's the best leader Russia has ever known, he's 100% patriotic and everything he does is for Russia's benefit.

Lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You make him sound like an outlier by doing so. There are very few, if any, Russian officials who won't seek to enrich themselves, and their powerbase. It's part of Russian culture to do as much, and you can find such attitudes throughout their society from the bottom to the top. Anyone who replaces him will do exactly the same, and it's highly doubtful anyone will do more than he did to fix up Moscow or any of the cities.

No, I didn't. Being one of many doesn't excuse him.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

No, I didn't. Being one of many doesn't excuse him.

Is he looking to be excused, or were others looking to excuse him? I don't see them as being apologetic for the manner of their lives.. It is what it is.

I spent 6 months in Moscow, and while most people were lovely, they were also all looking for an angle to play. If you don't play the rules, you won't be playing the game for every long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa48f5ad2-2291-3984-9e2b-8da992dd25b7.jpg?crop=1500%2C1000%2C0%2C0&resize=1180

Maybe he wants to spend some time with his new Girlfriend

Hope she can change large nappies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Cordell

randd1 wrote: »
    Thank you for that rather disturbing image.

I was thinking of coming up with a plan to lose the few pounds I've gained over lockdown, but I've decided if I fancy eating something snacky or not so healthy, I'll use that image to completely put me off the food I was eyeing up.

You may be on to a winner here.

*wiener
    Happy to oblige all the same.
    It may make you sick, but nothing like polonium tea or accidentally falling out a window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Cordell wrote: »

There will be no winners in Washington regardless of the result. This whole situation is going to end in tears.

Advertisement