Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane & the FAI

• 06-11-2020 1:08pm

Anyone else have any thoughts on the greed of Robbie Keane who won’t do the honourable thing and step down from his FAI role until he gets a €250k payoff.

He hasn’t done a tap since Kenny took over in April as Kenny brought in his own team.

Yes he is legally entitled to his pay but he is loaded from his football career and all he is doing is depriving grassroots clubs of funding as money is instead directed into his pocket.

We expect this from politicians but Keane claims to be a salt of the earth lad, surely he can see the bigger picture or is at all about money to him. Give a little back to the local soccer clubs that helped him become who he is today. He has gone way down in my estimations.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fai-in-the-dark-as-robbie-keane-is-linked-to-la-galaxy-hotseat-fspsfjqqt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

It has been the lifelong dream of Keane the Mean to only see the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

The FAI need to stop throwing money away. Nobody's going to turn down free money regardless of their "salt of the earth" roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Is he legally entitled to it? It appears so, then you have no argument. If you were in his shoes, you'd do exactly the same. The FAI appear to be wandering around in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Is he legally entitled to it? It appears so, then you have no argument. If you were in his shoes, you'd do exactly the same. The FAI appear to be wandering around in circles.

exactly, did the students on 100 euro a week turn down the 350 covid payment? of course not. and if the covid payment was 1000 per week we would have all taken it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

The long and short of it is he no nowhere near needs the cash. I accept that his nose may be out of joint over the managerial change. However, the FAI is strapped and Keano should be the bigger man and walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Goalscorer but no managerial or coaching worth

Taken on to give some credibility to a managerial set up destined to fail.
    Yes men in the soccer media nod the heads in agreement with his hiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Robbie Keane - He was never loved in Ireland. Everybody appreciated the analytics of what he achieved with Ireland and his importance /contribution. But he was never truly loved like McGrath or Roy Keane (devisive, I know).

He's a bit of Novak Djokovic or a Lewis Hamilton. Will likely become the most successful people of their fields. But the people loved somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Undercover wrote: »
    The long and short of it is he no nowhere near needs the cash.

I don't "need" my next pay packet. I have more than enough savings to see me though a few months. My company is doing ok, but is cutting corners, and there are certainly underpaid people that work with me that would really appreciate a few extra hundred euro.

There isn't a hope in hell that I'm not accepting - nay demanding - the money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If he's still employed by the FAI then he should be restricted from starting a new position with any other club.

I'm sure if the FAI wanted to be petty they could work cutting the pitch into his list of tasks required for his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

It's the type of situation where we'd all think ah he's plenty of money the fcuker

But then if you were in that position would you ****e give up 250k you were legally entitled to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He's a terrible public speaker and his constant moaning on the pitch made him unlikable. And the most scarleh celebration in history.

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    ................ but Keane claims to be a salt of the earth lad, surely he can see the bigger picture or is at all about money to him. Give a little back to the local soccer clubs that helped him become who he is today. He has gone way down in my estimations.

Doubt it crosses his mind to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's something a bit self absorbed about him alright, was definitely a decent but not exceptional player, his movement and awareness on the pitch stood out markedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

im in the “never really liked him” camp. i dont know why though. i just got a bad vibe off him

Stovepipe wrote: »

If I was a multimillionaire footballer who knows first hand how underfunded grassroots soccer is (he did come up through it) I would like to think I would do the morally right thing. At the end of the day take the fat out of the top (FAI HQ) and it’s a community organisation run by volunteers with plenty of fundraising to keep the kids in jerseys.

He is a legacy of the shameful John Delaney era who signed his contract.

I wouldn’t be sitting on my ass waiting for a large payout just because other people got it. He has done zero work since April and won’t do another tap

Shame on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Read Champagne Football. It gets touched on in that book.

To thine own self be true

Augeo wrote: »
    Doubt it crosses his mind to be honest.

Like all the other greedy *****. Will give out a few jerseys supplied by the F.A.I. but their underage clubs togging out in railway containers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He has cultivated a thoroughly unlikeable persona post football.

Champagne football is a must read. Not just about the football, it gives a real insight into office politics and the impacts of poor corporate governance and what happens when an egotistical maniac is let run riot with no checks and balances surrounded by a bunch of nodding lapdogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

Never liked him, 'ah he's our greatest goal scorer'.

Yes he is. Someone has to be. Never great though- decent yes.

63 international goals. 21 in friendlies. 13 more against the combined might of the Faroes (2), Gibraltar (5), San Marino and Malta (3) in qualifiers. Down to 29 goals against ok to good opposition. No so great. Decent yes.

Mind you scoring was never Ireland's forte.

Give him his blood money and let him disappear with all the other John D connections.

Good player, not a great player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Madeoface wrote: »

63 international goals. 21 in friendlies. 13 more against the combined might of the Faroes (2), Gibraltar (5), San Marino and Malta (3) in qualifiers. Down to 29 goals against ok to good opposition. No so great. Decent yes.

Give him his blood money and let him disappear with all the other John D connections.

I personally don't like those stats being leveled at him. I don't particularly like his whole persona myself but every European striker would have played a similar amount of games against that level of opponent during the Euro Championships qualification over the years and not many have the return Robbie has.

He has simply been the best striker we have had and we will probably never have anyone with his quality again - look at what we are left with now ffs. He has 100 premier league goals while never really getting a great run at a team apart from maybe his Spurs days.

Yes, he is not the most likable and yes he probably could enhance his reputation by cancelling his contract with the FAI but don't disregard the times he gave us on the pitch.... the goal against Germany alone nearly would justify the 1/4 mil alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Edgware wrote: »
    Good player, not a great player

Great relative to Irish standards - we are never going to have a Messi or Ronaldo playing for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i would imagine it has to do with how he was treated as a player and probably coach,
    a way to get even if you like and he wouldn't be the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

They should put him on the PUP, there's no need for him due to the pandemic, let him get 350 a week and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I don't "need" my next pay packet. I have more than enough savings to see me though a few months. My company is doing ok, but is cutting corners, and there are certainly underpaid people that work with me that would really appreciate a few extra hundred euro.

There isn't a hope in hell that I'm not accepting - nay demanding - the money though.

A big difference between a pay packet for the normal person and what Keane would have earned.Keane can could comfortably live out his days and never needs to work again.

250k was about a months salary to him at one stage of his career and he is roumoured to be worth about 40m .
    He is entitled to it so not much FAI can do.

Another mess created by John Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

He was given a contract by Delaney and he wasn't the only one to be over paid by that man. It was Delaney's way of getting to hang with the cool people in a way. Throw money at them as it was the only way these people would give him the time of day. Robbie Keane isn't to blame for the stooges in the FAI allowing Delaney to run the place like his own personal bank so in my opinion he is 100% right to keep taking his wages. In a way it is a reminder of Delaney's legacy which is something nobody should be allowed forget to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Delaney knew the score of keeping former internationals onside. He used to drag Ray Houghton around with him for personal appearance fees. Dunphy was smoozed by him. He had Giles in his pocket with that shady charity thing. He eventually got Roy Keane inside the FAI, Liam Brady too. Paul McGrath was always good for an advertising slot and he needs the cash. Mick McCarthy was always kept sweetened and Delaney knew he wanted back in to the Ireland job. Packie Bonner was kept within the FAI.

These are all the most influential people in Irish football. Brian Kerr was the only one that was kept out of it and they punished him for speaking ill of the FAI and Delaney. Niall Quinn is a businessman, he didnt want to burn bridges.

He needed Robbie Keane. He is very influential. If he criticised Delaney/FAI it would hold stock and draw attention on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

sugarman wrote: »
    W
    Say what you want about him personally, but you cant knock his records.

Meh. I've no interest in his club career stats; its the international one I'm knocking.

In no way was he a football 'great' and mentioning him in the same sentence as Ronaldo and Messi is just taking the pee pee. (Here's another stat for comparison if you're saying half of Ronaldo's goals are against weaker teams; Ronaldo scored more in one game against the Faroes than Robbie did against the Faroes over his whole career. Mind you Ronaldo also scored more against Spain in one game at the World Cup than Robbie did against Spain over his whole career).

Ireland's Emile Heskey IMO. Decent international but nowhere near 'great'.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Luca Nutritious Bedbug

Specialun wrote: »
    im in the “never really liked him” camp. i dont know why though. i just got a bad vibe off him

It was a charity/friendly match (think it was the Liam Miller one) and he was playing as if it was the world cup final and the goals counted to his record, i thought it was pretty weird since it was a charity/friendly bit of humour affair ...his wife is another d4, please pay attention to me indo type

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Quazzie wrote: »

I'm sure if the FAI wanted to be petty they could work cutting the pitch into his list of tasks required for his position.

Yeah no, you can't just change working conditions!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to the Soccer Forum, reminder to read the charter before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod: Thread reopened, please be aware of the forum rules, any abuse/name calling etc will be actioned.

Please also be aware when replying to above posts that this thread was opened initially in After Hours and the poster may not have Soccer Forum access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    If I was a multimillionaire footballer who knows first hand how underfunded grassroots soccer is (he did come up through it) I would like to think I would do the morally right thing. At the end of the day take the fat out of the top (FAI HQ) and it’s a community organisation run by volunteers with plenty of fundraising to keep the kids in jerseys.

He is a legacy of the shameful John Delaney era who signed his contract.

I wouldn’t be sitting on my ass waiting for a large payout just because other people got it. He has done zero work since April and won’t do another tap

Shame on him

How do you know how much Robbie Keane does or doesn't donate to Irish grassroots football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

I've never read so much waffle in my life.
    More goals internationally than Ronaldo, Zlatan, Villa, Eto, Romario, Batistuta, Rooney, Henry, Van Piersie, Shevchenko.

He was supplied by donkeys like Holland, Kilbane, Kavanagh and Carsley.

I swear some of ye have never actually watched football, honestly.

event wrote: »
    More goals internationally than Ronaldo, Zlatan, Villa, Eto, Romario, Batistuta, Rooney, Henry, Van Piersie, Shevchenko.

Carsley wasn't a bad player.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »

In fairness, the thread was transferred from After Hours so even though "he's not even that great" is a line that grew pretty tired here about a decade ago, it possibly still sounds edgy and plausible over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Meh. I've no interest in his club career stats; its the international one I'm knocking.

Ireland's Emile Heskey IMO. Decent international but nowhere near 'great'.:rolleyes:

I can't think of two more opposite type of players than Emile Heskey and Robbie Keane.

Heskey would put in lots of donkey work and benefitted people like Owen, his performances all for the aid of the team but his goalscoring record was poor and people criticised that.

Keane was pretty anonymous for the majority of games but had a habit of scoring out of nothing. People looked at his goalscoring record and if he was ever left out or subbed, people would be a little perplexed.

This is actually a really strange comparison.

I can't think of two more opposite type of players than Emile Heskey and Robbie Keane.

I'm struggling to see the link too.

Maybe Heskey scored 60 or 70 goals for England, will check.

Edit...he scored 7. The comparison becomes even more bizarre.

Robbie nearly always scores in the charity matches he plays in these days. he is a great goal scorer, I thought he might have finished up at shamrock rovers and not playing in India but he obviously did it for the money. he should have hung up his international boots earlier, he was a passenger for a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

In no way was he a football 'great' and mentioning him in the same sentence as Ronaldo and Messi is just taking the pee pee. (Here's another stat for comparison if you're saying half of Ronaldo's goals are against weaker teams; Ronaldo scored more in one game against the Faroes than Robbie did against the Faroes over his whole career. Mind you Ronaldo also scored more against Spain in one game at the World Cup than Robbie did against Spain over his whole career).

It’s been proven by others you are talking complete tripe.

Slink off there with your tail between your legs before it gets more embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Do people really think this money would go to grassroots rather than the pockets of the top boys or their buddy's?
    Robbie's dead right to hold onto it. If there was a chance it would go to grassroots I would have a different opinion.

Icaras wrote: »
    Do people really think this money would go to grassroots rather than the pockets of the top boys or their buddy's?
    Robbie's dead right to hold onto it. If there was a chance it would go to grassroots I would have a different opinion.

I suppose if he wanted he could set something up himself for grassroots and donate the 250k to it?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I suppose if he wanted he could set something up himself for grassroots and donate the 250k to it?

He could.

Roy Keane and O'Neill could repay some of the €1.9 million compensation package, especially as they both found handy gigs afterwards.

Mick McCarthy could dip into his...was it an even million?...pay off, he is back managing in the last week or 2.

The list of who could do what is never ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

It's really sad that I'd trust Robbie Kean to do something good with the money over the fai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jaysus :eek: I only wish we had a decent but nowhere near great international striker playing for us now!!! David McGoldrick just retired with 1 goal from 14 appearances and the media were calling it a blow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It would be nice if he accepted the money and donated some of it to a local club or something but again in his position if he is legally due the money he should get it to do with it as he pleases.

Not a big fan of him either but you have to recognise that he is the greatest striker we have had no matter the opposition. No one has come close since he left.

Icaras wrote: »
    It's really sad that I'd trust Robbie Kean to do something good with the money over the fai.

That is just the way it is. if you won the lottery and wanted to donate to charity, the best thing to do is set up a charity yourself, otherwise the majority of it will go to staff wages at the charity you donate to.

kippy wrote: »
    It would be nice if he accepted the money and donated some of it to a local club or something but again in his position if he is legally due the money he should get it to do with it as he pleases.

Not a big fan of him either but you have to recognise that he is the greatest striker we have had no matter the opposition. No one has come close since he left.

I think the next best Irish goal scorer is niall quinn with 21 goals.

He could.

Roy Keane and O'Neill could repay some of the €1.9 million compensation package, especially as they both found handy gigs afterwards.

Mick McCarthy could dip into his...was it an even million?...pay off, he is back managing in the last week or 2.

The list of who could do what is never ending.

AH its hard to know but there is a bit of pressure on Keane about it, it is the FAI's fault though. But what is 250k to robbie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think the next best Irish goal scorer is niall quinn with 21 goals.

Yeah, no one close to him. Even in international records it's up there.
    Whatever about his character or whether you like him or not his record cannot be argued with. In fairness, how well do any of us know him anyway to make a call on his character or personality.

The FAI are to blame for the fiasco and one person in particular. Don't let the focus come off that side of things....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement