Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 7 - couple of usage questions?

Options
  • 06-11-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    recently got an upgrade to an iPhone 7,am not techie minded which you will quickly see from my couple of queries I would really appreciate answered.

1.-As there is no hole on it to put in a set of headphones jack is it just the likes of 'airpods' that work with the iPhone 7?
    I would like to use the phone to listen to likes of Spotify while out for a walk or working on the farm...you may well have deduced that occupation from my username!;)
    In general does listening to Spotify or the radio on an iPhone 7 drain the battery life much?
    2.-Don't mind spending on a decent pair of in ear headphones,don't want them falling out of ears easily....appreciate any recommendations from people that use them while going for walks,jogging or while working outside on earphone brands that are good.
    3- Am in a few WhatsApp groups where people regularly share pictures or video clips...I'm conscious that these tend to eat into memory space.Is there any way of getting rid of these once you see them or of having them left in that WhatsApp groups message boards but not have them sent for storage on the phone iykwim.
    4.In general what takes up more memory....ordinary pictures you take using the iPhone 7 camera...….videos you take using iPhone 7 camera?,photos forwarded onto you from a WhatsApp group?...... or video clips sent on?.....in last few days as I am sure is the case I have received dozens of photos, gifs and video clips pertaining to Donald Trumps meltdown over the predicted election result!

Know these will seem like very basic queies to some of you.....but would really appreciate thoughts on and answers to them,
    thanks,
    Bleating Lamb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hi Folks,
    recently got an upgrade to an iPhone 7,am not techie minded which you will quickly see from my couple of queries I would really appreciate answered.

1.-As there is no hole on it to put in a set of headphones jack is it just the likes of 'airpods' that work with the iPhone 7?

You can use any old 3.5 wired headphones using the jack adapter. Was it not in the box?

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MMX62ZM/A/lightning-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

3- Am in a few WhatsApp groups where people regularly share pictures or video clips...I'm conscious that these tend to eat into memory space.Is there any way of getting rid of these once you see them or of having them left in that WhatsApp groups message boards but not have them sent for storage on the phone iykwim.

New feature that will be rolling out will delete messages after 7 days. See more info here

4.In general what takes up more memory....ordinary pictures you take using the iPhone 7 camera...….videos you take using iPhone 7 camera?,photos forwarded onto you from a WhatsApp group?...... or video clips sent on?.....in last few days as I am sure is the case I have received dozens of photos, gifs and video clips pertaining to Donald Trumps meltdown over the predicted election result!

You can set it that any photos aren't saved automatically in WhatsApp.
    WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Save to Camera Roll > Off

Any photos sent like this would usually be compressed and low quality so take up much less than camera photos you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply...looked in iPhone box there and doesn’t seem to have a jack adapter in it....maybe one of my kids took it out!

If you wanted to,can you use wireless earphones with the phone?....and would anyone suggest decent quality ones that don’t fall out of your ears easily if out for a walk etc.

Also does listening to likes of Spotify on iPhone use much data if you are out walking in countryside for example where you would be using the phones own data....or does listening to Spotify or podcasts or the radio etc use any data at all?

Again sorry if questions seem basic but thanks for any and all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

When it comes to earphones it’s a very personal preference kind of thing, what works well for somebody might not fit you very well. There are so many options available now though, wired you can use any lightning earphones or just pick up a new lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter.

Another option is wireless, there are so many of these out there at different prices. Apple just released a set of Beats for under €50 that might be worth checking out.

For the data part and streaming, you could always download music/podcasts at home on WiFi if you have it, and play the files directly from the iPhone instead of streaming. If you have a decent amount of data on your phone plan you shouldn’t have to worry about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭gmacww

I would like to use the phone to listen to likes of Spotify while out for a walk or working on the farm...you may well have deduced that occupation from my username!;)
    In general does listening to Spotify or the radio on an iPhone 7 drain the battery life much?

Did you not get earphones with it that connect into the lightening port on the bottom? If not any wireless ones will work.

2.-Don't mind spending on a decent pair of in ear headphones,don't want them falling out of ears easily....appreciate any recommendations from people that use them while going for walks,jogging or while working outside on earphone brands that are good.
    As has been said very personal depending on your ears. I find the standard apple ones work perfectly for me and that's what I use when out running.

Advertisement