Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2042

• 06-11-2020 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

The next Battlefield game is slated to launch in holiday 2021 and will boast “never-before-seen scale”. That’s according to EA CEO Andrew Wilson, who recently shared a good deal of tasty info on the publisher’s upcoming releases.

“The technical advancements of the new consoles are allowing the team to deliver on a true next-gen vision for the franchise”, shared Wilson in prepared remarks for the company’s latest earnings call. “We have hands-on play testing underway internally, and the team’s been getting very positive feedback on the game as we’ve begun to engage our community.” More info won’t arrive until the spring, but it’s still nice to hear that the Battlefield 6 release date isn’t too far off.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/battlefield-6/launch-date

** edit title when actual game and actual info released.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

At least they are not repeating BF4's mistake and trying to put it out as a launch title for new generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Looking forward to see how they **** this up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NikoleJennes

People are still playing battlefield? Interested in it, I bought a new pc, looking for some multiplayer shooters

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

People are still playing battlefield? Interested in it, I bought a new pc, looking for some multiplayer shooters

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is free on the Epic Store next week. It's not a pure Battlefield, but it's fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Hey guys, thought id pop back in here after a long time of being absent. I was on here back in the BF3/4 days. (well the other threads obv) great to see hype rising for the new BF. Heres hoping its a step back to the great days of Battlefield!

- Sirinava

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hell let loose , early access game developing all the time but already fantastic with very big numbers playing regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Official announcement in the spring (via earnings call)
    Here’s a summary of the info shared by EA today.
    It will take full advantage of next-gen consoles
    Feature more players than ever before
    Takes franchise to the next level
    Reveal coming in Spring 2021
    Release set for Holiday 2021

There are a few games now with 100 players (Squad, WW3, HLL and lol Arma 3)

With varying degrees of success all of those games bar WW3 require comms and umm a 100 players.

Some dude was suspended on twitter and removed this information from a tweet.
    Battlefield 6 will return to modern warfare
    BF6 will be a 'soft reboot of the series'
    BF6 will be heavily inspired by BF3
    BF6 may simply be called "Battlefield"
    BF6 will feature up to 128 players on PC and Next Gen consoles
    BF6 will feature "next-gen" destruction that will take the destruction to the next level

Context on the "some dude"

https://www.gamesradar.com/battlefield-6-leaker-has-twitter-account-suspended-after-sharing-rumours/

A prominent leaker who shared speculation about Battlefield 6 had their Twitter account suspended, as well as being forced to remove all related videos from YouTube.

Tom Henderson, who has previously leaked information online about Call of Duty games and, more recently, Battlefield 6, has spoken out after having his Twitter account suspended, seemingly in relation to information he shared about EA's upcoming shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BF6..please god it goes back to the BF2/BF3/BC2 days and I'll sell my xbox series x in a heartbeat and go back to pc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/1/22307226/battlefield-6-release-date-need-for-speed-2021-delayed-ea-dice-criterion-codemasters

EA have reportedly delayed the next Need for Speed, to put Criterion on BF6 to assist. I don't know if this is a good or a bad sign. I would hope that it means enough devs and manpower to avoid the usual buggy mess that BF releases so often are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

This will be the game that gets me hunting for a PS5. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Hopefully its not released for the last consoles as that pandering with BF4 really limited the game on the newer consoles.

Hopefully its not released for the last consoles as that pandering with BF4 really limited the game on the newer consoles.

pushing BF4 so it was practically a launch title for the xbox one and ps4 crippled bf4 at launch.

It's a good thing they've given it a year at least this time. So either yeah it wont go to the old consoles or at the very least more time with the new consoles mean its better optimized.

I cant think of many things the new consoles are offering outside of a visual upgrade that will hamper this title hitting the prior generation?

Unless we actually believe EA on it being something genuinely groundbreaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    pushing BF4 so it was practically a launch title for the xbox one and ps4 crippled bf4 at launch.

It's a good thing they've given it a year at least this time. So either yeah it wont go to the old consoles or at the very least more time with the new consoles mean its better optimized.

I cant think of many things the new consoles are offering outside of a visual upgrade that will hamper this title hitting the prior generation?

Unless we actually believe EA on it being something genuinely groundbreaking?

Apart from faster SSD technology, faster cpu , major graphics update?
    BF6 shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the last gen.

Blazer wrote: »
    Apart from faster SSD technology, faster cpu , major graphics update?
    BF6 shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the last gen.

again until I hear them actually doing something to take advantage of those aspects *OUTSIDE OF GRAPHICS* and probably load times I again dont see the issue with it appearing on older consoles if they've been given the time to optimize.

Battlefield 5 was one of the first games to take advantage of RTX and yeah with an RTX compatible pc it sure looks a lot prettier and loads really fast with a good ssd then any of the console versions

but it still plays the same game.

The difference between 360 vs xbox one was much more pronounced, the 360 couldnt support 64 player matches, the xbox one could. There was an actual practical difference between the generations which is a big part of why doing a prior generation port of bf4 felt like such a terrible waste of time and resources for its rushed development.

If BF6 is announced to be doing something genuinely different technology wise with its next entry that would be borderline difficult to impossible on the last generation of consoles, then hell yeah it should be exclusive to new generation of consoles. But if the changes are primarily going to be cosmetic and design choices then I dont see any issue with doing a last gen port.

We currently no nothing outside of EA hype

so the question remains Do you believe EA hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I could be very wrong here, but was it not already confirmed somewhere that it was only getting released on next gen consoles? Please tell me it was.

I could be very wrong here, but was it not already confirmed somewhere that it was only getting released on next gen consoles? Please tell me it was.

They haven't confirmed any details, and didn't make any claims about the choice of consoles for release. Others have, e.g. Stalker 2 is only PS5/Series X, but nothing about BF6 so far.

All we've officially seen of BF6 is some animation tests that used BFV models as the base at an EA show 2 years ago at this point?

Everything else has been rumored or incredibly vague statements from EA at investors calls or interviews. Only the most recent offering us something as concrete as there will be multiple new modes. But that's from EA, not DICE and I'd like to think we've all learnt to not trust what EA says.

Everybody has convinced themselves that it's going to be the first 128 player Battlefield and it could be, but until I see it from DICE I'll be cautious (mostly because most attempts at doing 128 player games have not really worked in the past, a few titles hold on but nothing outstanding, the sweet spot atm for milsims like SQUAD and Hell Let Loose is 95 - 100). So it could in the end turn out there is no 128 player mode and instead it's still the standard 64 player but a bunch of new modes.

Or it could be a 100 other things from DICE being forced to chase after Warzone to them being allowed to their own thing, we don't know anything at the moment and until we get details we dont know if being on last gen as well will hold it back or not.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    All we've officially seen of BF6 is some animation tests that used BFV models as the base at an EA show 2 years ago at this point?

Everything else has been rumored or incredibly vague statements from EA at investors calls or interviews. Only the most recent offering us something as concrete as there will be multiple new modes. But that's from EA, not DICE and I'd like to think we've all learnt to not trust what EA says.

Everybody has convinced themselves that it's going to be the first 128 player Battlefield and it could be, but until I see it from DICE I'll be cautious (mostly because most attempts at doing 128 player games have not really worked in the past, a few titles hold on but nothing outstanding, the sweet spot atm for milsims like SQUAD and Hell Let Loose is 95 - 100). So it could in the end turn out there is no 128 player mode and instead it's still the standard 64 player but a bunch of new modes.

Or it could be a 100 other things from DICE being forced to chase after Warzone to them being allowed to their own thing, we don't know anything at the moment and until we get details we dont know if being on last gen as well will hold it back or not.

Alright.....

d4fd09a859e77c00c3768059ee131bd7bac5d179v2_hq.jpg

Leaked images have appeared from an upcoming trailer:

https://imgur.com/a/upPvtTY

It seems to confirm that previously claimed Tanegashima launch facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not really sure how anyone could say that visual upgrades are the only difference between next-gen and last-gen versions.

You are basically talking the equivalent of a very low-clocked FX-8150 in the last gen consoles, versus a Ryzen 3600 in the newer ones. Not to mention how long in the tooth they are getting anyway even from a graphics POV.

Just because the player count doesn't change, doesn't mean it's not a lot more demanding on both CPU and GPU. There are PC's out there that can run BF4 64 conquest at 60fps, but would struggle to hit 20-30fps in BF1.

As game engines get more advanced, they put more strain on everything, not just graphics capability. Sometimes we see awful, lazy ports like the infamous Black Ops 3 for 360/PS3, when a much better job could've easily been done.

But mostly decisions are made to stick with "next gen" only because too much compromise is required to cater for the previous gen even if the result is a perfectly competent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Can't wait for this new Battlefield.

The last 2 were good but didn't have a patch on BF4 so hoping the fact that they're going back to the modern era we will see some interesting new developments.

I've been playing some BF1 as of late. Getting very salty with Warzone these days and it's a nice change of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Good shout.

Honestly, it's a completely different game I feel.

Still some very good numbers playing bf4 on all platforms.

I sometimes jump back into it on PC and for a 5er you can't go wrong.

Xgemone wrote: »
    BF 6? maybe is a rebranding bf4?

That's a placeholder title, rumours are that they'll simply call it Battlefield. Somewhere in the world is a marketing committee that must have huffed a lot of glue to think that was a good idea.

Advertisement