Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2042

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah , as soon as the trailer ended my first thought was no wonder it took so long its 5mins of cgi type trailer and i would much rather of seen gameplay or else a trailer that utilised the in game engine.

I really would not be surprised of its a mash of different trailers that could be released over time.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I really would not be surprised of its a mash of different trailers that could be released over time.

It did feel like the first segment with the base jump was plucked from a different trailer as it sort of neuters to later reveal of the wingsuit during the hurricane.

But dropping that gameplay footage will be shown within the next few days was very smart, big problem with the confusing bfV trailer is how long it took for a follow up gameplay trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Even gameplay is very tailored. You won't really know until we get a good month under our belts.

The biggest risk is that they don't fix the ttk. BF1 was a slippery slope to BFV. You died so fast and so often it was just a grinder and the fun disappeared very quickly.

The reason battle royal took off is it has a sense of adventure. You can spend 20 mins getting loot, never see anyone and still have more fun with your pals than in BFV running into bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It was yelling at the viewer to love it without showing any actual gameplay footage. I grow more and more cynical of CGI trailers especially as they're constructed in such a way to manipulate players into thinking that's what the energy of the gameplay is going to be.

Sometimes they can work brilliant. Look at Blizzard and the CGI trailers for Starcraft II. Like watching a movie.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Blizzard are excellent alright. Their CGI trailers for Starcraft, Warcraft and Overwatch are legendary, they're pretty much movie quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah , as soon as the trailer ended my first thought was no wonder it took so long its 5mins of cgi type trailer and i would much rather of seen gameplay or else a trailer that utilised the in game engine.

Imo every Bf trailer is usually in engine and the Frostbite engine is just stunning, I would imagine the gamplay albeit with a hud will look the same.

BF5 is imo the best looking game out atm and its a few years old (3080 owner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Robot dog, I am out

please ffs just do a proper BF game without the gimmicks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

kingtiger wrote: »
    Robot dog, I am out

Unlikely, that always have to "one up" what they've done before so it's unlikely we'll ever get something like BF3 again.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Unlikely, that always have to "one up" what they've done before so it's unlikely we'll ever get something like BF3 again.

playing Bf3 tonight.

your comment reminds me of this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

kingtiger wrote: »
    Robot dog, I am out

BF3 and Bf4 both had EOD bots…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's the gameplay reveal trailer.

The trailer looked so so good. I love the chaos, the tracers, the explosions, the tactical options from wing suits and zip lines, the atmosphere looked great too

I’m certain they will include plenty of environmental destruction, wasn’t shown much in this gameplay trailer but was a big part of the cinematic one

Impressive looking. Roll on October.

The best part is that lots of this gameplay trailer seem to be also bits from the cinematic trailer but from a different perspective

Very very excited now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

C4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I love that we can drop tanks in to where we are. No more waiting for them to spawn.

Looking at one of the sections with the plane flying in and if you look at the ground you can see a massive war going on. Infantry running, jeeps, tanks and helicopters bombing around.

It looks like a frontline battle rather than a circle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cautiously Optimistic here but they really need to work on anti cheat on PC, al games in the serves have serious hacking issues on PC.
    Its normally fine with a new game until they stop supporting it then its gone to fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cautiously optimistic after the gameplay trailer now also.

Looks like some real interesting thing going on with the dynamic weather (Which will knock snipers the most and planes/helo).

Loving that they do seem to be trying to find a balance between vehicles and infantry.

Honestly cant wait to see more , lets hope they deliver and live up to the hype.

Its not as good as The Outer Worlds 2 trailer but its one of EAs better ones alright

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

after the backlash against BF1 they were always going to play it safe and pander to the fans.
    While some might love the jet scene I hated it as it didn't show what they were capable of but instead catered to the fans. Then again I'm a huge fighter pilot fan so it was always gonna piss me off :D
    In fact most of the entire video is a nod to the community...but that's not a bad thing..after the 80% drop in pre-order sales for BF1 maybe now they've realized to keep their personal views out of the game and just ensure they made the best damn game possible which is what we all want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I’m guessing they will take this to the next level and use extreme weather like the Blimp in BF 1 to shake things up?

The runs the risk of making the matches feel very artificial if it's cranked up too much.

It was the complaint of BF1 that the blimp/train/ship etc tended to artificially prolong matches in BF1 because it was always sided with the side that was losing, so a side that was getting stomped rapidly would get the train/blimp a hell of a lot earlier leading to a game being dragged out that should have been over ages ago.

Not sure if leaving the weather to be entirely an agent of chaos will improve things, Gamers (you know the sort) are not a fan of chaos, they tend to get a bee in their bonnet quite quickly when they feel a kill or victory was robbed from them because of some random chance.

They keep pointing out in a lot of news stories of the storm randomly dropping a cargo container on a sniper in a playtest.

Now imagine how that sniper is going to react if they feel they were robbed of what they saw as 2-3 easy kills by a random event.

It wont take long for conspiracy theories of DICE tweaking the code so that the containers targeted campers

Personally I think something closer to some of BF4's levolution bits might work, extreme weather is there, but to set off crazy stuff like cargo containers being chucked everywhere etc, players need to actively set them off. So for example a player would need to cut the cables tying those containers down to set off X amount being picked up and chucked in random directions, the storm will only chuck what it is fed, so pushing vehicles into it will have them chucked out randomly. That way players can claim credit for some of those only in battlefield moments (I released the containers, so that littlebird full of enemy players being blindsided by a cargo container is credited to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some effects targeting players probably makes a lot of sense.

If a container falls in the forest and no ones there's to see it then what was the point, like some racing games where the AI get's simpler when they're not near the player or in their view.

In any case I'm perfectly happy for a camper sitting in a bush on a hill to get hit by lighting or whatever else if they're just sitting there

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Gameplay video actually got me excited so there is hope still!

Being able to swap weapon attachments on the fly is a weird one though, seems very unrealistic (compared to COD where you could have canted irons or flipdown zoomed optic) but also makes me wonder if there will be higher penalties associated with attachments to encourage people to swap them, like a movement penalty with the largest mag, smaller FOV with scopes, higher suppressor damage drop, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Gameplay video actually got me excited so there is hope still!

Being able to swap weapon attachments on the fly is a weird one though, seems very unrealistic (compared to COD where you could have canted irons or flipdown zoomed optic) but also makes me wonder if there will be higher penalties associated with attachments to encourage people to swap them, like a movement penalty with the largest mag, smaller FOV with scopes, higher suppressor damage drop, etc

Yea, it's cool but 'm sure they've something in mind to balance it, limited to certain attachments only, maybe animation delay. Likely makes sense with the scale of the maps though, lets you adapt to situation!

I'm awful and very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

****'s sake..I'm hoping at least server admins can disable them. No interest in playing against bots.

Blazer wrote: »
    ****'s sake..I'm hoping at least server admins can disable them. No interest in playing against bots.

I hope there are server admins!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

**** sake i stopped playing games like Enlisted and Rising Storm 2 because they have bots in multiplayer.
    I had my suspicions when i saw the gameplay trailer though.

Advertisement