If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for budget Smart TV

Options
  • 06-11-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks,

Currently have a free-to-air box taking an antenna cable for outdoor Aerial as input to get the Irish Channels and a LNB input cable is also connected to the box and to a satellite to get the British channels.

Looking to get a new TV to replace the free-to-air box while still being able to watch both Irish and British Channels. Aim is to only have one remote as some in the household find using different remotes for the tv and the box too confusing.

Would you guys have any 50" 4K SmartTV's at around the €500 price point that will support the functionality of both Irish channels and British Channels without the need for a seperate box?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

orb123 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Currently have a free-to-air box taking an antenna cable for outdoor Aerial as input to get the Irish Channels and a LNB input cable is also connected to the box and to a satellite to get the British channels.

Looking to get a new TV to replace the free-to-air box while still being able to watch both Irish and British Channels. Aim is to only have one remote as some in the household find using different remotes for the tv and the box too confusing.

Would you guys have any 50" 4K SmartTV's at around the €500 price point that will support the functionality of both Irish channels and British Channels without the need for a seperate box?

Many thanks.
    Hi orb123,

Thanks for the post!

If you're looking for a budget TV with Freesat built in I would recommend an LG as they have both Saorview and Freesat however as the TVs are location specific I can't guarantee you'll be able to get the British channels on them, it would just be what's available on a local Free to Air service.

I would look at the LG 50un73006 at 499 euro!

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204697-lg-50un73006la-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx?swapstore=1

Let me know what you think of this option!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 12 orb123

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I can get some British free to air channels on my current free to air box connected to satellite, so presumably it would work fine on this TV?

The TV seems great, I actually came across a slightly different TV during my searches (LG 50UN80006LC) but was told by LG customer support that the TV will not allow you to be tuned into both the antenna and the satellite at the same time. Is this the case with this model as well?

Thanks again

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

orb123 wrote: »
    Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I can get some British free to air channels on my current free to air box connected to satellite, so presumably it would work fine on this TV?

The TV seems great, I actually came across a slightly different TV during my searches (LG 50UN80006LC) but was told by LG customer support that the TV will not allow you to be tuned into both the antenna and the satellite at the same time. Is this the case with this model as well?

Thanks again
    Hi orb123,

The TV needs to be set up for your region so I'm not 100% sure if it will block certain channels based on your IP.

The LG 50UN80006 is a great TV as well but neither can have the Saorview and Freesat tuned in at the same time, you would need to switch between them via the settings menus.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.