Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Editing Upgrade?

Options
  • 06-11-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Pentium G4560 on a H110M-ITX chipset board with 8 GB of DDR4 2133 RAM. I've recently had the need to do quite a bit of video editing and find it really time consuming. I was wondering would just upping my RAM capacity and adding a gfx card make a significant boost to performance and reduce times, or is my current setup old hat and better building new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

gpu will do very little for video editing you would be better off upgrading everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

gpu will do very little for video editing you would be better off upgrading everything else

I thought GPU and RAM was the main thing needed for video editing?

not really, most stuff isn't gpu accelerated

with ram as long as you have enough to have the programs open that you're using you are grand. 8gb is tight but you wouldn't need more than 16gb really.

depends what type of stuff you are doing, there is a benefit to tonnes and tonnes of ram and a good gpu but you would need a more powerful cpu than you have now to see the big benefit. As long as you aren't limited by ram at the moment.

What type of thing are you editing and what type of hard drives do you have? if your bottleneck is a mechanical hard drive you could be fine with your current setup with an ssd

I have a few SSDs but they're on SATA 3 regardless. I wouldn't have been thinking my HDDs were slowing things down. I'm editing some PVR content and then converting the TS files to mp4. It's currently CPU intensive but I'd thought with a gfx card it would offload to that no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Cordell

Encoding/transcoding can be significantly improved by offloading to GPU (NVEnc for NVidia, I don't know the AMD name, if any).
    Intel CPUs have video codec hardware as well (QuickSync), again I don't know the AMD situation.
    So both can help with video editing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

With the right workflow/software you could offload the encoding to a graphics card but perhaps you could already offload it to Intel Quicksync and it would be good enough for you. In fact it's possible you don't even need to do any encoding if you are just rewrapping content from TS to mp4! The devil is in the detail but your problem might really be software rather than hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

More cores = better.

You could get a Core i5-7500 (4 cores/4 threads) or i7-7700 (4 cores/8 threads) & be done with it

But for not much more, you could look into a 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 2600 system https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CH6fx6 (just requires any GPU for video output).

TS to mp4 normally needs transcoding, TS is usually mpeg 2 and mp4 is usually mpeg 4 - with all that file extension / container / codec confusion :)

As it happens, I just did a small video project, 1080p h264. With nvenc on my 2070S it looked more than twice as fast as software only on my i7 7700. I couldn't get QuickSync to work with the editing software (Shotcut). And it was in fact mpeg 4 to mpeg 4 but with some cuts and audio sync it wouldn't handle it without transcoding.

it's probably not slowing you down then if you have any type of ssds. Could you check what your cpu usage is while you are rendering? To make sure it's at 100% so it isn't something else slowing you down.

That cpu should be fine for performance while you are editing as in skimming through your timeline. TS files aren't very taxing to playback

Cordell wrote: »
    TS to mp4 normally needs transcoding, TS is usually mpeg 2 and mp4 is usually mpeg 4 - with all that file extension / container / codec confusion :)

Indeed.

I haven't done any serious looking yet but first appearances it seems AMD offers better bang for buck although yes - the G4560 supports Quick Sync, maybe I just need to ensure whatever software I'm using is utilising it??

• Advertisement

Yes, you need to make sure the software supports it, and very likely you need to manually enable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I mean at this point of course the G4560 is gonna be weak for video work, even at launch it was a super budget CPU and that was 5 odd years ago if not more.

I wouldn't bother spending €200 on an i7-7700, for the same price you can get a new Ryzen 3100, A320M motherboard and 16GB DDR4 3000mhz ram.

Usually I am for the "not ideal but zero hassle upgrade" but €200 is just way too much.

You can get i5-6th gen processors for about €60 2nd hand though on Adverts, like the i5-6500 or 6600. That would be a worthwhile upgrade and the work you are doing isn't super intensive or anything.

Advertisement