Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim advice

Options
  • 06-11-2020 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the forum to ask this question. Earlier today, when taking a left turn, a commercial delivery van crashed into the back of me, a garda car was at the scene and all information was exchanged. There is enough damage on the car to warrant a claim. My question is, do I contact my insurance company to process the claim or do I contact their insurance company?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Inform your own insurance, give them all the details and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MikeJfitz

Thanks Coylemj, will that not negatively impact on my own premium? not mater who's at fault? Driving for 30 or so years and have never been through this process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Inform your insurance company "for record purposes only". You must then contact his insurance company to lodge a claim. A rear end should be straightforward. Your insurance company cannot claim on your behalf against the 3rd party in the 1st instance, unless they have initially compensated you under your policy for your damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Inform your insurance company "for record purposes only". You must then contact his insurance company to lodge a claim. A rear end should be straightforward. Your insurance company cannot claim on your behalf against the 3rd party in the 1st instance, unless they have initially compensated you under your policy for your damages.

I didn't mean you should claim on your policy, you're obliged to inform them. But if you have fully comp. cover, you could claim off your policy and let your insurance pursue it, or you could do what Eggs for Dinner suggests. Which is what I would do as he works in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

coylemj wrote: »
    I didn't mean you should claim on your policy, you're obliged to inform them. But if you have fully comp. cover, you could claim off your policy and let your insurance pursue it, or you could do what Eggs for Dinner suggests. Which is what I would do as he works in the business.

It's the right thing to do if liability is disputed. Let your insurers get you fixed up and on the road and then fight the good fight with the 3rd party. Downside is you must pay your policy excess in the meantime (recoverable on success) and it stays on your record until sorted. A rear ender is straightforward

• Advertisement
Advertisement